Setting Up Ethernet Switch

BoxTurtle
Go to solution Solved by Knonf,

In general for unmanaged switches... no. There is nothing as a dedicated "uplink" port. All traffic needs to get everywhere. The switch doesn't care if two of your lan devices are communicating with each other or one lan device is communicating with the router, which "forwards" the traffic to a server.

There are switches where some ports can be faster than others. But that is mostly not the case in normal consumer devices ("8-port ethernet switch" sounds like a standarrd switch).

So I am setting up a ethernet switch and I am wondering which port on my ethernet switch to plug the ethernet cord from my router into. Does It mattter? It has 8 ethernet ports.

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

Should say on the switch or in the manual. Which switch is it?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

In general for unmanaged switches... no. There is nothing as a dedicated "uplink" port. All traffic needs to get everywhere. The switch doesn't care if two of your lan devices are communicating with each other or one lan device is communicating with the router, which "forwards" the traffic to a server.

There are switches where some ports can be faster than others. But that is mostly not the case in normal consumer devices ("8-port ethernet switch" sounds like a standarrd switch).

13 minutes ago, turtlecraft said:

So I am setting up a ethernet switch and I am wondering which port on my ethernet switch to plug the ethernet cord from my router into. Does It mattter? It has 8 ethernet ports.

If it's an unmanaged switch, the uplink port usually doesn't matter, as the switch will know which device is running the DHCP server and direct traffic accordingly. Just make sure you don't go plugging in 2 devices running DHCP servers, otherwise your switch is going to have a hard time. :P Mind you, even most unmanaged switches have some form of logic built into them to protect against Broadcast Radiation so if you accidentally plug in 2 devices that cause network packet collisions, the switch should continue directing traffic to the first device running the DHCP server, but this depends on the switch.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)