Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elkido122

windows 10 2004 update questions.

Posted · Original PosterOP

The update has not shown up under my check for updates menu yet. I am not sure if it is a good idea to install it though the upgrade tool or not, not sure if its compatibility issue or not. 

pc specs below 

windows 10 1909 

msi meg z390 ace

32gb team force ram 

msi rtx2080 with most current nvidia driver 

No, you should wait until the update show up in Windows Update to avoid potential issues (like incompatible drivers). 

Image your system just in case, made upgrade using unpacked iso. In case any problems - restore image.

Or wait.

any idea of the amount of wait time it could be to show up in the windows update?

2 minutes ago, elkido122 said:

any idea of the amount of wait time it could be to show up in the windows update?

Is there a reason that you need this update soon? Usually it's not a problem to wait a while to update windows.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, elkido122 said:

just ensuring my pc is most up to date and is most secure. 

They will have security patches for 1909 for 18 months, so you don't need to upgrade now. Id probably wait a month or two if you can. let others work the bugs out.

yea, just wanted to make sure this will become available to me through windows update at some point. 

Just now, elkido122 said:

yea, just wanted to make sure this will become available to me through windows update at some point. 

I think they also delay some users to spreat out the deployments and to make it so any issues affect fewer users.

I have the update on my wsus server, so its definatly out there.

If it isn't broke....

Main: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

1 hour ago, Viper9 said:

No, you should wait until the update show up in Windows Update to avoid potential issues (like incompatible drivers). 

it should notify you if you have incompatible softwar einstalled, at least i believe so, but don't quote me on that. 

@GoodBytescan you maybe clarify if the media creation tool tells oyu this or not? 

@elkido122the rollout only jsut started. i will say this though, i've been running it for a bit as an insider and it's been stable for me. but i would wait with forcing the upgrade until you know for sure it will tell you about compatibility. 

She/Her pls :) 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

PC: Asus Z370-P | Core i3 8100 R9 290X | 16GB RAM500GB SSD | Silverstone RV03 | Arch Linux / Windows 10

2 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

it should notify you if you have incompatible softwar einstalled, at least i believe so, but don't quote me on that. 

@GoodBytescan you maybe clarify if the media creation tool tells oyu this or not? 

@elkido122the rollout only jsut started. i will say this though, i've been running it for a bit as an insider and it's been stable for me. but i would wait with forcing the upgrade until you know for sure it will tell you about compatibility. 

If you take the option to upgrade this PC instead of installing for another PC, It does tell you about compatibility issues. However, I don't think it reflects the Windows Updates blocks. It is more like big problems where the system won't work right, so like incompatible drivers (or software that uses a drivers that has issue) which typically requires you to update them to fix the issue or hardware related.

If there is any problem in updating Windows 10 2004 automatically, then there is no problem in the computer. Sometimes some computers take some time to get updates. I got this update on the first computer but have not got it on the second PC yet. So leave for a few days, it will grab it for sure. If you want to update it right now, then you can do it via the

'Update Assistant' here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 See the screenshot below:

image.png.01ecefd9503ba7796a93584ca55ed42b.png

thanks for the replies guys, just was curious why i hadnt got it yet. maybe this week it will pop up.? 

5 hours ago, elkido122 said:

thanks for the replies guys, just was curious why i hadnt got it yet. maybe this week it will pop up.? 

The update is released in waves.

It typically take 2-3 months before everyone has it.

i found it odd that windows update is NOT even telling me " “The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page [Windows Update]. There’s nothing you need to do at this time.... 

strange if you ask me

10 minutes ago, elkido122 said:

i found it odd that windows update is NOT even telling me " “The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page [Windows Update]. There’s nothing you need to do at this time.... 

strange if you ask me

Once again. It is being released in waves.

so that would be why no message even shows up? not even to just tell me if mine is even compatible?

13 minutes ago, elkido122 said:

so that would be why no message even shows up? not even to just tell me if mine is even compatible?

At this period in time, your computer has not been evaluated if your system is compatible or not, as the update is not availible to you.

If you can't wait and understand the risks, then you can force update by using Microsoft Update Assistance tool. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Pick "Update Now"