What does the Case Maker mean by...

Spainz

Hey guys, what does the case maker mean when they say "max 35mm motherboard component height"? Are they referring the the height of the RAM, of the motherboard's Heatsink... ??? BOTH??????

I'm assuming this is a Fractal case, since they'll say this about radiator compatibility. What that means is that water cooling radiators can't be placed on the top of the case if there are motherboard components taller than 35mm where it would be mounted.

Edited by BobVonBob
Case mentioned above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

yeah lol, but does the motherboard heatsink count as a motherboard component ooooor

am I overthinking this?

Because the mother board I wanted to use had like, 50.8mm hight dimensions according to amazon for a MSI Z490 Carbon Wifi. lol... so wondering if that means I need to find a different case. 

3 minutes ago, Spainz said:

yeah lol, but does the motherboard heatsink count as a motherboard component ooooor

am I overthinking this?

You need to put a reply in your message for someone to be notified.

If the heatsink is under where a radiator would go and you're installing a top mounted radiator, then yes. Most motherboards are easily short enough to meet this criteria though, so you should have little to worry about.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, Spainz said:

Because the mother board I wanted to use had like, 50.8mm hight dimensions according to amazon for a MSI Z490 Carbon Wifi. lol... so wondering if that means I need to find a different case. 

That dimension is probably the height of the IO in the back, not the heatsink. The dimensions only list the largest part of the board.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

I have a Define Nano, basically the same case but shorter. That number refers to radiator clearance-- it only applies if you want to mount a radiator in the top of the case, and only really matters for components along the top edge of the board (e.g. RAM, secondary VRM heatsinks.)