Graphics and PSU compatibility.

I've had my main rig die on me, and i am using a potato backup. The main problem is that the graphics card and cpu seem to be a bit mis matched. The current rig is a core 2 quad, a hd 3650 and a old dg3303m mobo. is there any way i can put in a 600w thermaltake 80+ smart, and my rx 480?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just googled the motherboard.

It appears to have a PCI-e x16 slot, as well as a standard 24pin connector and 4 pin EPS, so I cant see any reason why it WOULDNT work? 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

9 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

put in a 600w thermaltake 80+ smart

I think I figured out why your last rig died

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

+1 - get a reliable power supply before that C4 murders another PC

The RX 480 may or may not work, depending on how old the motherboard is.

Some are UEFI only, meaning they require the motherboard to have a BIOS with UEFI stuff in it which is something that started to appear around 2002 or so, if my memory is correct ... I may be wrong and can't be bothered to search to see if I'm right.

Power wise, the RX 480 would consume up to around 200-225 watts, the rest of your system won't consume more than around 100w, so as long as the power supply can give around 350 watts on 12v, it would be fine.

Being 80+ rated, at the very least it's not a chinese noname firecracker, so it's got that working for it.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Power wise, the RX 480 would consume up to around 200-225 watts, the rest of your system won't consume more than around 100w, so as long as the power supply can give around 350 watts on 12v, it would be fine.

Being 80+ rated, at the very least it's not a chinese noname firecracker, so it's got that working for it.

I was more worried that the powersupply would fry the mobo, as the board was in a pre-built with a 250w noname, but i do trust it, as the thing kept the pc working for like 10 years. ill try it later.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:
11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

+1 - get a reliable power supply before that C4 murders another PC

wdym?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

wdym?

It's an extremely poor quality unit with no protections and bad reliability. It is likely the reason your system died as it probably malfunctioned and sent high voltage on one of the rails

1 minute ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

wdym?

The thermaltake smart is one of the worst power supplies you can buy. I would never put it with something like an RX 480.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The thermaltake smart is one of the worst power supplies you can buy. I would never put it with something like an RX 480.

then can you suggest a replacement?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

then can you suggest a replacement?

What country? Plan on buying a PSU that you can carry into a rig replacement?

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

What country? Plan on buying a PSU that you can carry into a rig replacement?

USA, and yes, preferably good enough for 3rd/4th gen ryzen

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

USA, and yes, preferably good enough for 3rd/4th gen ryzen

Power supply pricing is getting rough. Here's a cheap but good option.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Primary PC: