MSI B450 tomahawk max help

Hi everyone, I just finished building my new PC. I've build a few others before but this time I've had a problem. It wont boot at all. All the components are brand new. I was thinking it could be the front panel connectors on my case (nzxt h510) because they have a block. There is a adapter which splits it off into the individual connectors. I am running a b450 tomahawk max and was wondering if it was the front panel block which was causing a problem 

1 minute ago, AaronHighley said:

Hi everyone, I just finished building my new PC. I've build a few others before but this time I've had a problem. It wont boot at all. All the components are brand new. I was thinking it could be the front panel connectors on my case (nzxt h510) because they have a block. There is a adapter which splits it off into the individual connectors. I am running a b450 tomahawk max and was wondering if it was the front panel block which was causing a problem 

When you say it wont boot do you mean you press power button and absolutely nothing happens? Do fans start spinning do lights come on? Need a bit more details of the nitty gritty before we can help you.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Hello, nothing happens when I press the power button if that helps. 

Make sure you quote us that we can see your responses

Use a screwdriver to connect the power button leads together, instead of the power button assembly. You need to test if you miswired something

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

When you say it wont boot do you mean you press power button and absolutely nothing happens? Do fans start spinning do lights come on? Need a bit more details of the nitty gritty before we can help you.

It does nothing when I press the on button 

4 minutes ago, AaronHighley said:

Okay. so first things first, make sure that the power switch connecters are plugged into the right pins on the motherboard. you can confirm this by referring to the manual. R.T.F.B. as we always say which means always read the f***ing book haha. You can also use a piece of metal to short out the two power switch pins on the motherboard.

Secondly, please ensure that the 24 pin power connector is secure on both sides, as well as the 8 pin EPS at the top left of the board. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

3 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Okay. so first things first, make sure that the power switch connecters are plugged into the right pins on the motherboard. you can confirm this by referring to the manual. R.T.F.B. as we always say which means always read the f***ing book haha. You can also use a piece of metal to short out the two power switch pins on the motherboard.

Secondly, please ensure that the 24 pin power connector is secure on both sides, as well as the 8 pin EPS at the top left of the board. 

I think I've figured it out. The front panel block on the nzxt h510 has a different layout to what the msi board has. So if I use the adapter it should work 

Just now, AaronHighley said:

I think I've figured it out. The front panel block on the nzxt h510 has a different layout to what the msi board has. So if I use the adapter it should work 

that could definitely solve the problem, just to confirm that the PC boots up and is working, you can still try shorting the power switch pins to get it to power on before you go reconnecting anything

7 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

that could definitely solve the problem, just to confirm that the PC boots up and is working, you can still try shorting the power switch pins to get it to power on before you go reconnecting anything

Nope it didnt work. Do you have any other solutions I could try. 

I can see according to your manual that the power switch terminals are the top right hand 2 pins as shown in the image. if you use a piece of metal to connect the two, this will turn the computer on. If this did not work, you will need to make sure that your power connectors for the PSU are fully secured in the back of the unit and on the board.

Most importantly, make sure if you are using a power bar that it is turned on, and that the PSU is switched on (I is on, O is off) - (I did this once, super bad brain fart but it happens to the best of us) or make sure the outlet the pc is plugged into is live.

If all items are fully secured and plugged in, and you have live power, I cannot see any reason why the system wouldnt at least turn on.

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

I can see according to your manual that the power switch terminals are the top right hand 2 pins as shown in the image. if you use a piece of metal to connect the two, this will turn the computer on. If this did not work, you will need to make sure that your power connectors for the PSU are fully secured in the back of the unit and on the board.

Most importantly, make sure if you are using a power bar that it is turned on, and that the PSU is switched on (I is on, O is off) - (I did this once, super bad brain fart but it happens to the best of us) or make sure the outlet the pc is plugged into is live.

If all items are fully secured and plugged in, and you have live power, I cannot see any reason why the system wouldnt at least turn on.

Capture.PNG

It was the psu that was the problem 

It was the psu that was the problem 

Was it not turned on?

7 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Was it not turned on?

Its brand new but doesn't work