Using a 700W for a Asus Vega 56

vleds123

Hello peeps, hope everyone doing all right during corona time.

I bought yesterday a Asus Strix Vega 56 and it has a 8+8 Pin power connector so my unbranded chinese psu is out of the question. Unfortunately PSU here in my country are expensive and only good price i could find was for a 700W Red Dragon semi modular Bronze certified. Now ive read that the vega 56 needs minimum a 500W PSU but the asus official website says Recommended is 750W.

What does this mean? Can the PC turn on with the PSU knowing its less than the recommended Wattage? Will that break any component beside the PSU (mobo,cpu,gpu,ram blabla)? Should i go for a 750/800W?

Thanks alot peeps

A good PSU costs about 100 €/$/£ why not pay that for years to come?

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

A good PSU costs about 100 €/$/£ why not pay that for years to come?

your absolutely right but not to get into politics and stuff theres a whole crisis in lebanon and i just bought the vega yesterday and a 6600k so im really really short i never expected to buy a PSU

And i even wanted a 1000W gold but the prices are wayyy to expensive like its the price of a 7700k when there was no crisis XD

1 minute ago, vleds123 said:

your absolutely right but not to get into politics and stuff theres a whole crisis in lebanon and i just bought the vega yesterday and a 6600k so im really really short i never expected to buy a PSU

If you want something that is decent but not too expensive ( I don't know the prices in Lebanon but I don't expect it to be double the price)  a cx650 will be way more the enough and should serve you for a good 3-4 years 

Idk what oem  red dragon used for their PSU but I don't expect it to be any good quality 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

assuming that PSU can actually do 700W you'll be fine.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, vleds123 said:

And i even wanted a 1000W gold but the prices are wayyy to expensive like its the price of a 7700k when there was no crisis XD

Ah, you mean - does the somewhat not very known 700W PSU would power the system? Most likely it will, but yeah it's a temporary option i'd suggest.

I edit my posts more often than not

me: *looks up the tdp of the vega 56*

also me: "oh ok"

the gpu alone can use 300w but thats when its not overclocked. 

i recommend a 600w, since gpu's arent ever going to use much more than 300w

All right thanks everyoneeee for very fast answer I will buy the 700W but the guy told me i can always give it back and upgrade. I was just scared because Asus recommended a 750W and im using a 700W 

Hopefully nothing breaks and i can enjoy my new build

Stay safe people

Just now, vleds123 said:

All right thanks everyoneeee for very fast answer I will buy the 700W but the guy told me i can always give it back and upgrade. I was just scared because Asus recommended a 750W and im using a 700W 

Hopefully nothing breaks and i can enjoy my new build

Stay safe people

These wattage estimations are always never right 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Even when it comes from asus official website itself? :o

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

asus is notoriously known for that lol.

3 minutes ago, vleds123 said:

No it's with every company 🤣

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, vleds123 said:

asus has just been like that.

heres an example, so there are two different reference gpu's gpu a, and gpu b. lets say ones asus and ones powercolor

gpu b. uses 150w but even know the two cards have the same performance gpu a. uses 200w

Here is a huge problem:

The Vega graphics cards are known for very brutal transient power draw, so under load, they spike up. No matter what the wattage of your power supply is, if it is crappy and can't handle the transient load, it will crash and/or shut down the PC.

You really can't put Vega on any old PSU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

asus: "the gtx 690 uses 385w."

The 690 is notorious for how inefficient it is 

But still that is not how much it draws power 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

The 690 is notorious for how inefficient it is 

But still that is not how much it draws power 

its only so inefficient because they literally just smashed two gpu's into one gpu lol

Edited by GoodEnough
somehow spelt inefficient wrong.

So i just got the redragon 700w gonna test it hope it will work

5 hours ago, vleds123 said:

No offense, but you should have thought of that ahead of time.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

20200417_153116.gif

Ellie on Twitter: "Lmao i'm gonna steal your meme about stealing ...

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ellie on Twitter: "Lmao i'm gonna steal your meme about stealing ...

wow so epic 

thank you honest raccoon  ❤️ 

Build Log: 

18 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Here is a huge problem:

The Vega graphics cards are known for very brutal transient power draw, so under load, they spike up. No matter what the wattage of your power supply is, if it is crappy and can't handle the transient load, it will crash and/or shut down the PC.

You really can't put Vega on any old PSU.

Its new and was in box its a red dragon 700w modular i hope it does the job just like i said im still a bit afraid bcuz of asus recommending a 750w PSU

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No offense, but you should have thought of that ahead of time.

Absolutely right but at the time I had a 7400 and was playing game with a 1060 and was happy but i recently started unreal engine and playing more demanding games so time for a small upgrade

Just now, vleds123 said:

Its new and was in box its a red dragon 700w modular i hope it does the job just like i said im still a bit afraid bcuz of asus recommending a 750w PSU

Don't worry 

These companies WAY over estimate the wattage estimations 

But when using this PSU 

Please don't try to over clock this GPU what so ever 

Vega in known for being unstable some of the times and being really inconsistent with it's power draw

Build Log: