Computer stability problems

Go to solution Solved by DEM0N Assassin,

In my case, the solution was a couple of steps.

1. Set CPU overclock to stock settings

2. Make sure ram is stable or at stock

3. Set SoC voltage to 1v

4. Set the PCIe lane mode to 8x2 instead of 16x1 in advanced settings in the BIOS

5. Reset graphics driver COMPLETELY:

1. Open "Programs and Features" in control panel

2. Look for all the nvidia apps

3. Uninstall the graphics driver only (for now)

4. Reboot into safe mode

5. Uninstall graphics card from "Device Manager" in "Display Adapter"

6. Go to "Programs and Features" and uninstall everything related to nvidia except the physX driver (you can't delete it in safe mode)

7. Reboot computer into normal windows

8. Reinstall graphics driver

This completely solved my stability issues. Thanks!

I've been using my PC for about a year now (Ryzen 5 2600x (Noctua nh-u12s) / Asrock B450M pro4 / MSI Ventus RTX 2060 (non super) / (2x8) 16GB Trident Z RGB 3200mhz / Corsair CX650M), and for about 3 months i've been having issues with stability. I am running a 4000mhz 1.3v overclock on my CPU and have been ever since I got it. After a few hours of use on my computer, the system would lock up for a second and the audio would loop. This would be in bursts where it happens many times at once in quick succession. Typically, these bursts would keep happening every few minutes after the first burst. Sometimes (quite rarely), my computer would have a burst and either bluescreen with some random error or it would just restart. Another issue is that when I am playing a very high performance game and my system is running on full power, my audio and video would cut off. All the fans would be at max speed and it wouldn't fully shut off, requiring me to hit the reset button. I don't know if this is from the motherboard overheating or something else. I have been having hell with these issues and i've looked all over the internet for someone who has this exact issue, and found nobody, so I felt it was necessary to make this post. 

By the way, my RAM is at 2933mhz at 1.3v and I haven't made any other manual overclocks to my system. I have a relatively fresh install of windows on my computer (2 weeks). 

Sounds like a unstable OC

What happen with default setting?

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

update bios

use PBO instead of your manual OC

example XMP

^ this 

Also an over clock and a really HEAVY over clock on ram ?! 

With zen + ?! 

That's not gonna happen the interconnect and the imc really suck and you won't be able to get both of them at this state

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

update bios

use PBO instead of your manual OC

example XMP

I am already on the latest bios. I tried doing full stock on both my ram and cpu and it solved the issue with my computer shutting down, but didn't help out my freezing issue

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

Sounds like a unstable OC

What happen with default setting?

When I run the cpu and ram at stock speeds it gets rid of the random shutdown issues but makes the freezing issue worse

1 minute ago, DEM0N Assassin said:

I am already on the latest bios. I tried doing full stock on both my ram and cpu and it solved the issue with my computer shutting down, but didn't help out my freezing issue

Sadly you won't be able to get to that with zen +

As I said above their imc sucks and their interconnect won't handle an oc because the FCLK sucks and the interconnect won't handle this oc on the ram 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Sadly you won't be able to get to that with zen +

As I said above their imc sucks and their interconnect won't handle an oc because the FCLK sucks and the interconnect won't handle this oc on the ram 

So should I get a zen 2 chip?

Just now, DEM0N Assassin said:

So should I get a zen 2 chip?

For now your fine 

Try getting your ram to 3200 ( not 4000) 

Especially if it is not b die 

I don't even know how you got to that in the first place 😂

As for the oc try just over clocking a bit (like 100mhz at once) and only over volt when you need to 

Until it's unstable  , it will take time but eventually it will be worth it 

If you want to run your ram at anything above 3200 , I guess try 3466 but I doubt it will work 

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

For now your fine 

Try getting your ram to 3200 ( not 4000) 

Especially if it is not b die 

I don't even know how you got to that in the first place 😂

As for the oc try just over clocking a bit (like 100mhz at once) and only over volt when you need to 

Until it's unstable  , it will take time but eventually it will be worth it 

If you want to run your ram at anything above 3200 , I guess try 3466 but I doubt it will work 

My CPU is at 4000 and not my ram. My ram is at 2933

My CPU is at 4000 and not my ram. My ram is at 2933

Oh my bad 

Then just do 3200 on the ram and get rid of the OC 

Build Log: 

I would run stock settings for the cpu with ram at 2933 somewhere between 1.3 and 1.35v. 

Run a loaded test to peg your cpu see what your cpu voltage peak is. Set that as your starting point then then back your voltage off till you get unstable

Oh my bad 

2933 is probable the best he'll get. But what's it going to hurt go for more

Just now, narrdarr said:

I would run stock settings for the cpu with ram at 2933 somewhere between 1.3 and 1.35v. 

Run a loaded test to peg your cpu see what your cpu voltage peak is. Set that as your starting point then then back your voltage off till you get unstable

The thing is is that my cpu was running at stock for a while and the peak voltage was 1.45v

I already did all the overclocking procedures and found that 1.3 was a nice and stable middle ground. One thing I should note is that when I was playing overwatch and the freeze bursts happened, overwatch said that the graphics device was not found and the game crashed. I don't think it's a CPU stability thing or even RAM stability

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Oh my bad 

My CPU can't support anything above 2933. If I try anything above that (even 3000) then my computer refuses to boot and does an auto cmos clear

2 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

2933 is probable the best he'll get. But what's it going to hurt go for more

Ehh yes but I don't want to underestimate the imc 

Giving 3200 a shot won't hurt ;)

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Ehh yes but I don't want to underestimate the imc 

Giving 3200 a shot won't hurt ;)

I already tried going above 2933. My PC would just refuse to boot.

My CPU can't support anything above 2933. If I try anything above that (even 3000) then my computer refuses to boot and does an auto cmos clear

Just do 2933 and no OC and check if that's stable

Build Log: 

Alright I'll try that

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

My computer booted and it's running fine (if not a bit hot). My cpu at idle is going at about 1.29v and 1.25v with an AIDA64 stress test.

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'll run the AIDA64 test for 30 mins if it doesn't crash

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Agree

7 minutes ago, DEM0N Assassin said:

The thing is is that my cpu was running at stock for a while and the peak voltage was 1.45v

I already did all the overclocking procedures and found that 1.3 was a nice and stable middle ground. One thing I should note is that when I was playing overwatch and the freeze bursts happened, overwatch said that the graphics device was not found and the game crashed. I don't think it's a CPU stability thing or even RAM stability

Apparently it's not stable 

Just now, narrdarr said:

Agree

Apparently it's not stable 

Should I increase my voltage then?

One thing I should note is that whenever I have the freeze bursts, my gpu usage in task manager jumps from 0 to 100 while the freeze is happening for each little burst

Just now, DEM0N Assassin said:

One thing I should note is that whenever I have the freeze bursts, my gpu usage in task manager jumps from 0 to 100 while the freeze is happening for each little burst

Try ddu

Check temps

Build Log: