Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nhatlam96

I need power saving solutions for my electronics

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys, 

I have pc speaker (edifier 980t) and headphone amp (smsl sp200), which don't have automatic stand by function. 

I have to always manually turn both off/on when using pc. When the pc is off, the headphone amp displays a disturbingly bright blue led and the speakers have a loud humming sound, so I turn both manually off. When I want to use my computer, I have to turn both manually on again. Is there some kind of elegant and convenient solution like a power saver device which emulates stand by or something? 

You could use a smart plug with an NFC tag on your desk and have your phone turn it on and off, or some form of voice control(Smart speaker BS such as Amazon Echo)

Another option is to use a remote controlled multi-output extension cable. 

Final option would be to look up DIY options, I could see something with a relay connected to your PC, could use a USB socket to trigger the relay and then turn on a specific extension cable. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Your simplest option is to have a mains outlet with a wired or wireless remote control.

These basically have a mechanical relay which is activated from an external signal and turn on the mains in the outlet.

You could make your own ... have one or two relays which can turn on from 5v from a usb port on your computer, or from 12v from your power supply. When the PC shuts down, the relays no longer get power so they disconnect and turn off the power to your mains outlet.

With remote control you can basically hit the button and everything turns off ... here's an example of remote control one

BN-LINK Outdoor Indoor Wireless Remote Control 3-Prong Outlet Weather Proof Heavy Duty 15 AMP Compact (Black) 3 Grounded Outlets With Remote 6-inch Cord 100ft Range ETL Listed (Battery Included) - - Amazon.com