Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxmonte69xx

Open Source Mac OS

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have been thinking about making a open source Mac OS operating system or almost a debloat script for Mac OS itself i am a new-ish software developer and would love help from anyone willing to give it let me know when and if any of you can help and ill be sure to respond right back

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you looking to make an OS from scratch that is compatible with macOS, do you want a look-alike clone, or what is your goal exactly? A "debloat" script is a long way from making your own OS (whatever debloat is supposed to do, precisely).

 

If you want an OS from scratch that is compatible, it would most likely take a large team of experienced developers multiple years to get there. But you'll need a more fleshed out plan other than "I want to make an OS" to get there. Especially if you want to attract help from others.


Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Are you looking to make an OS from scratch that is compatible with macOS, do you want a look-alike clone, or what is your goal exactly? A "debloat" script is a long way from making your own OS (whatever debloat is supposed to do, precisely).

 

If you want an OS from scratch that is compatible, it would most likely take a large team of experienced developers multiple years to get there. But you'll need a more fleshed out plan other than "I want to make an OS" to get there. Especially if you want to attract help from others.

i want mac os without the bloat and telemetry pretty much

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

i want mac os without the bloat and telemetry pretty much

That doesn't give anyone much to work with. What defines "bloat"? And is this a brand new OS or a modified OSX?


A girl who loves to love.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Aimi said:

That doesn't give anyone much to work with. What defines "bloat"? And is this a brand new OS or a modified OSX?

Bloat as in apple care connection services and like the built in email client stuff like that also this is brand new os x

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

Bloat as in apple care connection services and like the built in email client stuff like that also this is brand new os x

Well first I'd suggest getting a clear, concise goal and a timeframe of when you want stuff done.

After that, get yourself 10 high priced lawyers, so that way you can deal with any legal trouble from Apple.


A girl who loves to love.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Well first I'd suggest getting a clear, concise goal and a timeframe of when you want stuff done.

After that, get yourself 10 high priced lawyers, so that way you can deal with any legal trouble from Apple.

or i can get 10 low priced assassins and cook Tim cook

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

or i can get 10 low priced assassins and cook Tim cook

I may not like Apple but I'm not going to condone that.


A girl who loves to love.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Aimi said:

I may not like Apple but I'm not going to condone that.

im using tor so hopefully i wont get swatted LMFAO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you want here.  Large sections of macOS are open source because the thing is based on BSD.  If you just want to run a different OS on Apple hardware there are several linuxes and BSDs that will do the job.   You could roll your own Linux distro if you wanted I suppose.  Just haul out the Debian libraries.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get the core of MacOS for free, It call Darwin, you can get it from apple site or for more user friendly from http://www.puredarwin.org 

Do note that you will have to get your own GUI or build one yourself and other part of the MacOS that are missing as there not open source, you would have to build them you self or find open source versions. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps take a look at Elementary OS as well. It sounds similar to your goals. That, or any Linux distro with a theme that looks like macOS.

Not trying to be discouraging ,but creating an OS from scratch is a huge undertaking, maybe you can join a development group supporting one you like instead?


Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want debloating you can simply turn off the services you don't want with a simple script (install macOS w/o internet, run script)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 5/30/2020 at 6:43 AM, A51UK said:

You can get the core of MacOS for free, It call Darwin, you can get it from apple site or for more user friendly from http://www.puredarwin.org 

Do note that you will have to get your own GUI or build one yourself and other part of the MacOS that are missing as there not open source, you would have to build them you self or find open source versions. 

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 5/30/2020 at 7:05 AM, tikker said:

Perhaps take a look at Elementary OS as well. It sounds similar to your goals. That, or any Linux distro with a theme that looks like macOS.

Not trying to be discouraging ,but creating an OS from scratch is a huge undertaking, maybe you can join a development group supporting one you like instead?

I use arch 🤣🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xxmonte69xx said:

I use arch 🤣🤣🤣

So install a macOS theme and be done :P Being able to set up Arch and developing an OS is still miles apart. Just saying that Elementary OS looks pretty much like what you want to do, so you'll be having competition in that regard.


Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, tikker said:

So install a macOS theme and be done :P Being able to set up Arch and developing an OS is still miles apart. Just saying that Elementary OS looks pretty much like what you want to do, so you'll be having competition in that regard.

Themes aren't a thing but yes I already have I mean compatibility wise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×