What's the difference between these?

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13-ay0021nr

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13z-ay000-8lz58av-1

I have these two laptops I'm looking at. The first link it prebuilt, but the second one I configured to have the best processor, wifi 6 chip, 300 nit screen, 256GB SSD, default pen, and windows 10 home.

The prices are within $10 of each other, about $1,000, even though the laptop in the first link has 2x the SSD storage space. Are the pen and better ports(plugins on the sides) on the second(configurable) laptop that much more expensive or am I missing something here.

Not really all that knowledgeable on the hardware side of computers, so I can't see why I would buy the laptop in the second link besides maybe a bit of a better screen and a pen for the touchscreen that the other doesn't come with.

ryzen 7 is much better than ryzen 3 and 16gb is becoming a minimum today i would honestly go with the ryzen 7 plus the ryzen 7 has better graphics on board

4 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

ryzen 7 is much better than ryzen 3 and 16gb is becoming a minimum today i would honestly go with the ryzen 7 plus the ryzen 7 has better graphics on board

You have to go to the laptop in the second link and click the customize & buy button and choose the configurations I specified in the first few sentences to accurately compare my two options.

Just now, NZgamer said:

16gb is far from minimum, I would consider 8gb the minimum now.

if you want your pc to be great out of the gate 16gb is minimum windows is only getting more and more bloated and for any gaming or editing 16 gb is recommended

Just now, NZgamer said:

If 16gb is the bare minimum, gamers would be running 32gb. 8GB is very usable on Windows, there are budget gamers running 8GB. As for editing, if it's serious, I would say 32. 16GB is still plenty for games. I've found that a lot of the game I play don't use over 10-12 GB while running.

which  is why in 2 years 16gb will be more usable than 8 end of story

Just now, NZgamer said:

Could you rephrase that please?

at the end of the day 8gb will be less than usable in 2 years from now windows already uses like 4gb at idle 16gb is a sweetspot at the moment unless you use arch linux #ARCHLINUXGANGREPRESENT then 16gb will be the best option

The second one is a touchscreen. That adds massive cost.

The laptop didn't seem to get very good reviews, I'd probably look at something else all together.

I'd get a 400 nit screen at least, if not the 1000. Nothing's worse than having a laptop that's hard to read.

Don't spend money on the SSD upgrade, buy your own and do it yourself.

Do you have a WiFi 6 router?

1 hour ago, xxmonte69xx said:

16GB is far from the minimum, especially for a laptop. You're not really going to be doing a ton of work on a 13" laptop.

38 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

16gb is far from minimum, I would consider 8gb the minimum now.

Depends a lot on the person though. I constantly cap out 16GB.

37 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

if you want your pc to be great out of the gate 16gb is minimum windows is only getting more and more bloated and for any gaming or editing 16 gb is recommended

Really? I find Windows is getting less bloated, not more.

25 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Sorry to complain but please use punctuation, your posts are hard to read!

8GB will be fine to use in 2 years, depends on what OP does with their system. Windows uses a certain amount of ram depending on how much you actually have. I saw a video where someone got Windows going on 512mb of ram, it didn't work well, but hey.

PS: writing this on a laptop with 4Gb ram. Running Linux but Windows runs alright.

Don't apologize. People need to realize that punctuation is important. Saying "it's just a forum!" is fine until you don't notice it's crept into a resume, and now you don't get the job (been there, seen it, thrown out the resume).

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Keep in mind that some laptops will come with all or some part of the ram soldered onto the board, not replaceable.

So if you choose the 8 GB model, you may get 4 GB permanently soldered, so your upgrade options would probably be adding a 8 GB or 16 GB stick for a total of 12 or 20 GB

Ir's probably not the case with these HP laptops.

Still, the 999$ model is worth it if you have the budget.

You get 16 GB and 512 GB SSD from the start.

For the 700$ you get 128 GB storage which you'll fill up super fast, so you'll then spend 50-70$ on a SSD.

The 8 GB won't be enough, you'll want to upgrade ... if they install 2 x 4 GB sticks, you'd have to pay another 50-100$ on two 8 GB sticks. ... so you're close to 800$

Another point about memory... the 8 GB model ... it may come with 2 4 GB sticks or one 8 GB stick...  if it comes with 2 sticks, it's good for memory bandwidth (makes the integrated graphics a bit faster) but it sucks for upgrading memory as nobody would buy those 2 4 GB sticks from you after you replace them with 2 x 8 or 2 x 16... so just waste...

IF it comes with a single 8 GB stick, then you're basically losing 5-15% of performance in most applications all the time, from the start. on a processor that's already near the bottom of the performance range being a ryzen 3 ... so you'll still want to upgrade the memory.

Also look on Amazon there may be deals from time to time that are better than HP's own store. Also check other brands

For example, at 600$ there's Lenovo Flex 5, with better configuration :

Amazon.com: Lenovo Flex 5 14" 2-in-1 Laptop, 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display, AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor, 16GB DDR4 OnBoard RAM, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Graphics, Windows 10, 81X20005US, Graphite Grey: Electronics

You get 16GB but it's soldered on board (not upgradable) and 256 GB instead of 128 (not sure if replaceable)  and you also get ryzen 5 4500u .. screen is ips, seems to have touchscreen... battery is probably fine as it clams 10h life ... you get onl wifi ac not ax but ac is still fast.

I don't know about the keyboard quality and connectors (see if there's some connector you absolutely need, like regular ethernet if you hate carrying dongles with you).

But basically much better configuration than 699$ hp model, and it's 100$ cheaper... you can spend 100$ on a 1 TB nvme m.2 and replace the 256 GB one (but look up reviews and see if the laptop accepts standard size m.2 nvme drives or if the ssd is even upgradable, it should be)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 2:58 AM, dizmo said:

The second one is a touchscreen. That adds massive cost.

The laptop didn't seem to get very good reviews, I'd probably look at something else all together.

I'd get a 400 nit screen at least, if not the 1000. Nothing's worse than having a laptop that's hard to read.

Don't spend money on the SSD upgrade, buy your own and do it yourself.

Do you have a WiFi 6 router?

16GB is far from the minimum, especially for a laptop. You're not really going to be doing a ton of work on a 13" laptop.

Depends a lot on the person though. I constantly cap out 16GB.

Really? I find Windows is getting less bloated, not more.

Don't apologize. People need to realize that punctuation is important. Saying "it's just a forum!" is fine until you don't notice it's crept into a resume, and now you don't get the job (been there, seen it, thrown out the resume).

First off windows always gets more bloated and also too bad I really don't care about punctuation on a forum site to bad you can't read it idrc