RGB connectors, Shitty molex, and more......

I've just recently built my first system and have invested in lighting to make it look a bit better. I just bought a couple of phanteks neon RBG strips that I want to daisy chain around my case. However, The phanteks strips use a 5v 3-pin addressable connector and silly me doesn't have a motherboard that supports that. (I have a b450 tomohawk max) I would like to be able to sync up the lighting with the motherboard. Can I use a controller that will plug into the motherboard to allow me to use sync them up.

Also I want to talk about my two least favourite connectors Molex, and USB 3 front headers.

I have some other RBG cable combs that use a 3 pin connector but are powered via molex, is there like a molex to sata connector that I could buy so I don't have to plug in the massive wad of molex cables.

I don't know who designed USB front header connectors but they deserve to be shot. It is the most awkward bulky and annoying cable period. It is the biggest pain to cable manage. I wanted to run my phanteks neon strips along the base of the motherboard however, the cable sticks out enough and is so thick that it is impossible the way its located. I don't know if you can get them in 90 degree bends (If you know like the sata cables) but I would pay to get that.

If your curious i'm aiming for a Tron style computer so more neon (hense the neon rgb) and lighter colours such as whites and blues. If you know of anything that would be cool to add please let me know. 

ya you need a 2+1 pin (mb) to jst-sm(strip) connector i have links in my sig.

well there are molex to sata adapters (keep in mind that molex cant do 3v but sata can so if there something that is sata and your hooking molex power to it make shur it dosent need the 3v) other wise molex to sata fine.

are we taling the big fat cable for usb 3 or we talking that stupid type c thing? its its just the big fat usb 3 there sold be all kinds if adapters for it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya you need a 2+1 pin (mb) to jst-sm(strip) connector i have links in my sig.

well there are molex to sata adapters (keep in mind that molex cant do 3v but sata can so if there something that is sata and your hooking molex power to it make shur it dosent need the 3v) other wise molex to sata fine.

are we taling the big fat cable for usb 3 or we talking that stupid type c thing? its its just the big fat usb 3 there sold be all kinds if adapters for it.

Oh perfect, that what I wanted to hear. If I am using phantek rgb strips do I need to have a phantek brand one I would imagine it probably doesn't matter. 

And ya its just USB 3 or 3.1 the big fat one, Im guessing amazon probably has adapters for that so I will check that out thanks.

9 hours ago, footman099 said:

Oh perfect, that what I wanted to hear. If I am using phantek rgb strips do I need to have a phantek brand one I would imagine it probably doesn't matter. 

And ya its just USB 3 or 3.1 the big fat one, Im guessing amazon probably has adapters for that so I will check that out thanks.

ya dosen mater its just a connector. ya there should be 90 180 and such for the usb.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

14 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya dosen mater its just a connector. ya there should be 90 180 and such for the usb.

Just a further question, there are a couple different 3-pin to 4-pin adaptors on the market. If I were to plug my argb lights into the adaptor to be able to plug into my motherboard would I still be able to customize the lights as if they had been plugged into the normal Argb header? I know that the four pin is not for addressable RGB but would a software be able to tell that they were addressable?

36 minutes ago, footman099 said:

Just a further question, there are a couple different 3-pin to 4-pin adaptors on the market. If I were to plug my argb lights into the adaptor to be able to plug into my motherboard would I still be able to customize the lights as if they had been plugged into the normal Argb header? I know that the four pin is not for addressable RGB but would a software be able to tell that they were addressable?

so when i say 2+1 pin i mean it has 2pins 1 missing pin and 1 pin. like this and the cable you need is on the bottom.

unless you don't have argb on the mb then you will need some sort of usb controller or an manual controller. the phantec controller is manual and will work with the strips with out an adapter. i dont no of an jst-sm usb software controller so you would need an adapter or cut the connector off and wire a different one on.

there are other usb and manual controllers that dose have jst-sm on it but there a pain to find atm.

i have links in my sig for software controllers and cables adapters under the rgb links

rgb-headers-motherboard.jpg

for_asus_rog_aura_sync_led_15cm_3_pin_to_jst_sm_3pin_led_strip_pigtail_male_conversion_cable__also_g_1564167551_01e52722b_progressive.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

Right, so I could get a 2+1 pin adapter cable to plug into my motherboard. What I was kinda asking is since my motherboard doens't support ARGB, will it affect what I can do on my lights. Cause I guess the regular 4-pin 12v RBG header supports static led and you can't change individual LED's in the strip? 

3 minutes ago, footman099 said:

Right, so I could get a 2+1 pin adapter cable to plug into my motherboard. What I was kinda asking is since my motherboard doens't support ARGB, will it affect what I can do on my lights. Cause I guess the regular 4-pin 12v RBG header supports static led and you can't change individual LED's in the strip? 

oh ya thows strips wont work with the 4pin rgb header as there 3pin argb strips. ether buy rgb strips or buy an usb controller

there is an convertor top go from 4pin mb to 3pin argb advice but its a gamble but i think the ezfab one can do manual as well so there that. all is linked in my sig.