Z490 Intel I225-V driver bug (no connectivity on reboot)

I noticed Linus hit this very issue during his Gigabyte build live stream this evening.

It's a well-known issue which appears to affect all Z490 chipets with the Intel I225-V 2.5Gbe NIC, not just Gigabyte.

Basically the latest driver from Intel, and which is available from most of the motherboard manufacturer sites, has a bug whereby the NIC dies on a system reboot.

The status will show cable/media disconnected and there'll be no link or activity lights on the socket.

This only happens after a soft reboot, powering off and on again will not show the problem.

You can fix it by disabling and re-enabling the interface.

The solution is to roll back the driver to an earlier version.  At present the one on Windows Update (1.0.0.13) is fine.

Uninstall the NIC from device manager and opt to remove the driver too.

Reboot and allow Windows Update to locate the driver (using Wifi or an alternate NIC for connectivity).

This is being discussed in various forums but could really do with being highlighted by a more prominent site/channel like this one to give Intel a kick up the backside to get it sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone cares, this has now been resolved by a 1.45 firmware update for the NIC.

Gigabyte and Asus have already made this available for their boards, I presume other manufacturers have or will do the same.