Intel 10th gen i5 non-K also gets STIM treatment

With the latest Intel 10th gen CPUs from Intel, we know so far is, those unlocked SKU uses STIM. Turns out, Intel is doing the same thing on their non-K CPUs too, but they have also mixed it with those that don't use STIM and just standard thermal paste. The 2 types of CPUs,

Q0 and G1 steppings have different SPEC codes. For the Core i5-10400F, the Q0 stepping variant's SPEC code is "SRH79" and the G1 stepping variant's code is "SRH3D."

On the physical end, they're both different, but we can't see it when it's still sealed in the box, so buyers will have to look at the label to find out what CPU they're getting. Also 10th K CPU uses a thin-die STIM, where the die is shaved and a thicker IHS is added, and or those i5 Intel may uses standard STIM. Only way to find out is to delid and measure the thickness of those IHS on those STIM i5, to find out what STIM process it's being used. No words if Intel is also doing this with the rest of the 10th gen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/267757/psa-there-are-two-steppings-of-non-k-10th-gen-core-i5-in-circulation-only-one-comes-with-stim

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yeah der8auer already delided the 10900K and measured the dimensions of the new die & PCB and talked about the effectiveness of the improved STIM:

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

With the latest Intel 10th gen CPUs from Intel, we know so far is, those unlocked SKU uses STIM. Turns out, Intel is doing the same thing on their non-K CPUs too, but they have also mixed it with those that don't use STIM and just standard thermal paste.

Intel have 6-8-10 core versions of the die. Lower core count products could be provided by salvaged higher core dies. I wonder if that might be a factor here.

2 minutes ago, Escanor said:

Why don't they just make chips bigger so heat can disperse better ? making things small only makes sense if you wanna put it into a laptop or mobile device, really hate this trend of making everything smaller while increasing heat output.

Silicon area costs money. The smaller the area used, the more you can make, and the more profit you can make. The bigger example of this is Zen 2, they're power efficient yet still run hotter than you might expect because the cores are so small now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I can already see the threads with people complaining that their 10400 is 20*C hotter than what they saw in "X" review and they'll be nothing we can do but tell them they have the pasty version 🙁

Just now, Escanor said:

So basically Intel is greedy

Blasphemy!

You will burn!

I edit my posts more often than not

4 hours ago, Escanor said:

Why don't they just make chips bigger so heat can disperse better ? making things small only makes sense if you wanna put it into a laptop or mobile device, really hate this trend of making everything smaller while increasing heat output.

Increasing die size reduces the amount of chips that can be produced from a single wafer, and increases the chance of a given chip to fail QC. 

More time consuming and expensive, not to mention that Intel is already struggling to keep up with demand as it is. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Increasing die size reduces the amount of chips that can be produced from a single wafer, and increases the chance of a given chip to fail QC. 

More time consuming and expensive, not to mention that Intel is already struggling to keep up with demand as it is. 

Not to mention it would likely mean a new socket which means new motherboards for no particular reason.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I mean makes sense. This is arguably a large result of binning then. Chips that were processed as higher end then failed the bin have different stuff than the chips that were always destined for mediocrity.

Not that different than the second type of 2060? was it that Nvidia ended up putting out that under certain loads is closer to a 2080 than a 2060...

As long as the minimum specs are all met by the shitty one, awareness is about all that is required. Not replacing good with bad afterall. There is just some good in with the normal.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean makes sense. This is arguably a large result of binning then. Chips that were processed as higher end then failed the bin have different stuff than the chips that were always destined for mediocrity.

Not that different than the second type of 2060? was it that Nvidia ended up putting out that under certain loads is closer to a 2080 than a 2060...

As long as the minimum specs are all met by the shitty one, awareness is about all that is required. Not replacing good with bad afterall. There is just some good in with the normal.

Kind of like when I bake cookies. Not every cookie turns out perfect. Those that make the cut are the ones I give to the person paying me for them. The ones that fall short in some way (visually, or slightly over/under done) are kept by myself or given away at lower cost/free. 😛

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Remember when we slapped CPU coolers straight on top of the core? Who also remembers having chipped core edges? :D

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Too little too late?

Wait, he is saying that slower memory slows the i5 10400?That is also true for AMD's CPUs...

5 hours ago, porina said:

Intel have 6-8-10 core versions of the die. Lower core count products could be provided by salvaged higher core dies. I wonder if that might be a factor here.

From the article

For these chips, four cores on the 10-core die are disabled by Intel to carve out the 6-core/12-thread Core i5 SKU. The G1 stepping, on the other hand, is based on the 6-core variant of "Comet Lake-S," which is similar in design to the 6-core "Coffee Lake" die. The G1-stepping chips lack STIM, and use a thermal paste.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

From the article

Sometimes I should click the link :D 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 hours ago, Escanor said:

So basically Intel is greedy

I mean YES most definitely but also do remember they've been having 14nm shortages for almost 2 years now... If they made chips take up more space; they wouldn't be able to produce as many of them, only making their shortages worse.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

23 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Wait, he is saying that slower memory slows the i5 10400?That is also true for AMD's CPUs...

But on a budget boards (B series) with an AMD CPU you can run the memory at it's maximum capacity. However intel's budget board, that is the B and the H series only allow a maximum of 2600mhz, and I don't think anyone will be getting a high end, more costly Z490 board meant for overclocking to run a locked i5 10400. GN makes a similar point in the video.

3 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

But on a budget boards (B series) with an AMD CPU you can run the memory at it's maximum capacity. However intel's budget board, that is the B and the H series only allow a maximum of 2933mhz, and I don't think anyone will be getting a high end, more costly Z490 board meant for overclocking to run a locked i5 10400. GN makes a similar point in the video.

B/H boards are limited to 2666, not 2933

7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

B/H boards are limited to 2666, not 2933

Aren't the new H/B series up to 2933Mhz ?

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

5 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Aren't the new H/B series up to 2933Mhz ?

From what I saw in the GN videos they're 2666. You may be thinking of laptops which do get 2933 now

22 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

From what I saw in the GN videos they're 2666. You may be thinking of laptops which do get 2933 now

If you are talking about official support, then you are right.

But most H/B series motherboards support 2933 (at least the new ones), unofficially.

When i search for H470/B460/H410 mobos from different manufacturers, most of them state 2933 support in their specs, Even H410.

For example the Prime H410M-A from ASUS: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H410M-A/specifications/

But what's weird that the i5 10400 for example supports only up to 2666mhz (officially):  https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199271/intel-core-i5-10400-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

I guess the new H/B series can unofficially run the memory speed of the i5 10400 above spec or only on i7s and i9s ?

But who will pair an i7 or i9 with an H/B series motherboard ?

Confusing AF

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

I wonder what intel did to stop the die from cracking 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

On 5/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, RejZoR said:

Remember when we slapped CPU coolers straight on top of the core? Who also remembers having chipped core edges? :D

Thunderbird4eva!

12 hours ago, Warin said:

Thunderbird4eva!

I had AMD's cool milestone Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz which was easily competing with 1,2GHz Intel Pentiums (although they weren't using the ratings yet, those came with Athlon XP). It was the first consumer CPU to ever hit 1GHz.

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I had AMD's cool milestone Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz which was easily competing with 1,2GHz Intel Pentiums (although they weren't using the ratings yet, those came with Athlon XP). It was the first consumer CPU to ever hit 1GHz.

I replaced a Pentium 75 machine with the 1ghz Tbird Athlon in 2000. Man, it was such a ridiculously awesome upgrade.

8 hours ago, Warin said:

I replaced a Pentium 75 machine with the 1ghz Tbird Athlon in 2000. Man, it was such a ridiculously awesome upgrade.

At the time, I was upgrading from Celeron 333MHz to AMD Athlon 1GHz. It was a MASSIVE difference.