Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mzaferyahsi

RX 5700 XT or (used)1080ti

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

Being inspired by Linus's Hackintosh and Windows on the same machine video, I'm intrigued to do the same and take my place in the rows of PC Gaming. Now, I already own an MBP 15" Late 2016, a PS4 Pro with PS VR and a 1gbit internet connection. So, after some second-hand research, I got my hands on a Dell Poweredge R720XD with 2x Xeon E5-2690 and 64GB DDR3 1600MHz and started for searching the GPU(s). Seeing that Nvidia outperforms AMD for gaming, and also my interest in building a Hackintosh (and get an iPad Pro to connect to the Hackintosh remotely if I need the horsepower), I thought of having two GPUs (thanks Apple for not supporting Nvidia). But budget-wise I cannot buy two GPUs at the same time, and gaming has the priority since I already have a Mac. In addition to this, I learned that Nvidia would likely release their new GPUs somewhere in September. Now, I don't want to wait until September but buying 2080ti at the moment doesn't seem logical as well. Since I can live with MacOS High Sierra if I go with a Hackintosh (don't need to at the moment though), I thought maybe 1080ti would be an option. So, here I am in between buying a second hand 1080ti for around €500 or a brand new PowerColor RX 5700 XT Red Devil for €470. 2070 Super would also be an option, but that's around €600-700, and I can't justify it since I will check the next-gen Nvidia GPUs. Given the situation, what would be your advice?

Games that I play currently (on PS4 but most probably move to PC)
- Witcher 3
- Red Dead Redemption II
- Assassins' Creed Origins
- Deus Ex
- Horizon Zero Dawn

Looking at just the performance 1080TI will be the better choice. Still, when buying used most cards will be with expired warranty and you can never be sure whether the previous owner used it for mining or something of the sort. Although I have purchased used PC components in the past, I personally will not buy a used GPU of that caliber no matter how good the price might seem simply because I can't be confident that it will work for the years to come. Last thing you want is to spend 500 EUR on card and have it die on you in the next moth leaving you with no money and no card. At the end of the day it is your money though so you will need to decide whether you can go without the extra 10-15% performance but have the peace of mind that the card will work for the years to come. 

You said which games you will be playing but not at what resolution. I have a normal GTX 1080 and play games on a 3840x1600 and have never had issues with FPS with high-ultra settings. Witcher 3 I have maxed out running with 75FPS and RDR 2 with about 45-50fps again with fairly high settings which is pretty decent. The GTX 1080 is about 5-10%slower than the 5700XT so you can use that as a reference point. Therefore, unless you have a UHD or actual 4K monitor the 5700XT will do just fine with pretty much anything on ultra or damn close to that. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.2GHz cooled by Arctic Liquid Freezer II | MBO: ASUS B450M-Pro Gaming | RAM: GEIL Evo Potenza 16GB DDR4 3400MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX1080 Founders Edition | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 8TB Seagate Backup Plus | PSU: Corsair SF 600W | Case: Jansbo UMX3 S

the rx 5700 xt is just as powerful as the rtx 2070 super within a 2% range.

i'm not sure about where you live but for me a brand new power color rx 5700 xt is only 396. another thing i want to mention is that you should instead get the Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt Gaming OC instead as for me its only €369, and i genuinely would rather have that gpu over the power color one.

I buy most of my GPUs second hand, and I run them hard! 100% utilisation 24/4 folding, and never had an issue other than re-pasting and replacing the off fan as of yet. 

Also, if you do get yourself a pretty new card please do considered join the Folding @ Home team, we are currently working towards COVID research, theres even events with prizes!

So, anyway back on topic, if you can get a 1080ti for a decent price second hand that would be my suggestion here, RTX really isn't worth it to me for me the extra cost, and I should know, I own both a 2060 and a 2070, second hand of cause ;) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, Analog said:

You said which games you will be playing but not at what resolution. I have a normal GTX 1080 and play games on a 3840x1600 and have never had issues with FPS with high-ultra settings. Witcher 3 I have maxed out running with 75FPS and RDR 2 with about 45-50fps again with fairly high settings which is pretty decent. The GTX 1080 is about 5-10%slower than the 5700XT so you can use that as a reference point. Therefore, unless you have a UHD or actual 4K monitor the 5700XT will do just fine with pretty much anything on ultra or damn close to that. 

You're correct, I forgot to tell the resolution. I happen to have LG 27UK850 which is 4K 6Hz. But I think I can still live with 1440p for now until the new Nvidia GPUs come. And even if I use 4k, I think it'll do better than my PS4 Pro.

16 hours ago, GoodEnough said:

the rx 5700 xt is just as powerful as the rtx 2070 super within a 2% range.

i'm not sure about where you live but for me a brand new power color rx 5700 xt is only 396. another thing i want to mention is that you should instead get the Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt Gaming OC instead as for me its only €369, and i genuinely would rather have that gpu over the power color one.

I'm living in The Netherlands. I did check local sites and also Amazon (NL, DE and UK) and the prices are more or less like I stated. After your tip, I found out that Gigabyte seems better, but then I also noticed Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700 XT which is €30 more than the Gigabyte RX 5700 XT OC which seems to run cooler and gives better performance. What is your opinion on that?

13 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I buy most of my GPUs second hand, and I run them hard! 100% utilisation 24/4 folding, and never had an issue other than re-pasting and replacing the off fan as of yet. 

Also, if you do get yourself a pretty new card please do considered join the Folding @ Home team, we are currently working towards COVID research, theres even events with prizes!

So, anyway back on topic, if you can get a 1080ti for a decent price second hand that would be my suggestion here, RTX really isn't worth it to me for me the extra cost, and I should know, I own both a 2060 and a 2070, second hand of cause ;) 

Well, I'm also concerned with GPUs used for mining since I've seen some of them being mentioned. It's luck I believe and after sleeping on it, it seems that it's better to get a new one. In addition to this, the advantage of 5700 XT would be to be able to use for MacOS Catalina Hackintosh as well. From performance perspective, do you think there's a huge difference? 

7 hours ago, mzaferyahsi said:

Well, I'm also concerned with GPUs used for mining since I've seen some of them being mentioned. It's luck I believe and after sleeping on it, it seems that it's better to get a new one. In addition to this, the advantage of 5700 XT would be to be able to use for MacOS Catalina Hackintosh as well. From performance perspective, do you think there's a huge difference? 

you're likely to see a 15-25% higher performance with the 1080ti over the 5700xt, so I'd say it's pretty significant.

With that said, if a hackintosh is really an aim for your machine then I'd say the MUCH greater compatibility makes it an easy choice; Team Red. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 4Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2