The first stack of the year - Samsung announces laptop with new intel processor

williamcll

Samsung has announced an intel version of the Galaxy book S which was previously running on the Qualcomm snapdragon 8CX (benchmarks shows that it's a bit slower than the i5-8250U). What makes this stand out is instead of the 10th generation 10nm processor, it is running the lakefield hybrid processor that has components stacked on each other rather than side by side on the die.
Galaxy-Book-S_main1.jpg

Samsung's Galaxy Book S was spotted on the company's Canadian website, revealing most of the laptop's specs. However, this version of the laptop hadn't been officially unveiled, so a release date was still up in the air. That changes today, as Samsung has announced the availability of the Intel-based Galaxy Book S, alongside the return of Samsung laptops to the UK market. In 2014, the company had given up on its PC efforts in Europe.

The announcement of the Intel version of the Galaxy Book S mostly confirms what we already knew - the laptop will features Intel's Lakefield chipsets, which are being referred to as Intel Core processors with Intel Hybrid Technology, specifically the Core i5-L16G7. Lakefield chips are aimed at thin and light devices, and the now-delayed Surface Neo was also going to be powered by them.

The rest of the specs are also what we had seen before - a 13.3-inch Full HD display with touch support, 8GB of LPDDR4X RAM, and up to 512GB of eUFS storage. There's also support for Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 for connectivity. The global announcement of the Intel-based Galaxy Book S mentions support for LTE, but that doesn't seem to be available in the UK, and neither does the model with 256GB of storage. It would seem certain configurations will be region-exclusive.

It should be noted that the i5-L16G7 is a penta core that runs up to 3Ghz with 4MB of Cache. The processor is unique that similar to most mobile ARM processors, it has one high performance core and multiple (4) slower cores for multi threading use, and similar to AMD the core is built on a smaller node (10nm) and everything else is larger (in this case it is 22nm). Benchmark wise it is believed that it has a better single thread performance of 868 points and 1,656 multithreaded, the latter is slower than its ARM counterpart presumably due to a much lower core count. It is also believed that the power consumption of this chip ranges between 5W to 7W.

image.thumb.png.16a17df20e689ce8a8c79f7463a4aa32.png

Source: https://news.samsung.com/global/experience-the-next-level-of-mobile-computing-with-galaxy-book-s

https://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-formally-announces-intel-lakefield-based-galaxy-book-s-variant

https://optocrypto.com/galaxy-book-s-core-i5-l16g7-with-foveros-3d-and-sunny-cove-to-set-new-throughput-standards/

Thoughts: Considering I haven't found any reviews for the product yet, I can't make a conclusion about the device yet, but I would assume the hybrid stacking will appear on more laptops later this year, and perhaps on the 11th series of desktop processors if they could fix the 10nm yield issue. Since this is a more experimental ultrabook I doubt it would come cheap either, which is certainly going to turn up the noses of some people.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

image.png.f49188b95d2f46ee50957a90d9d30c8e.png

Idk why this made me laugh so hard. It's like they were going to come back to it and write more, but forgot.

Considering the GalaxyBook itself is an overpriced mess, this will be a horrid first deployment of the Hybrid CPU and will likely leave a sour taste for many

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

image.png.f49188b95d2f46ee50957a90d9d30c8e.png

Idk why this made me laugh so hard. It's like they were going to come back to it and write more, but forgot.

Problem is the app that is made to link up an android phone to a windows computer is also named "Your phone Companion"

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

Problem is the app that is made to link up an android phone to a windows computer is also named "Your phone Companion"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Wow, Foveros finally appearing in a product! 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~