Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hereimiz

X-Post - F@H with 1080ti GPU only, 6850k still hitting max temp

As a final follow-up, turns out a little percussive maintenance was needed on the H115i pump housing.

Was doing a little research on the issue as it was happening when not folding after a complete clean install of Win 10

"Couldn't possibly be, right!?"

Turns out it worked, liquid temps immediately dropped into the 40's (C) and 6850k is holding around 60C under load now... much better :)

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

I originally posted this in the Folding section, and it was suggested I might get answers here:

I have a 6850k cooled by an H115i, liquid temps are sitting in the 55ish range very consistently.

[CPU is running 1 "thread" maxed out  at 100% utilization (and another around 30%) all the time even though I have F@H set to only 1 slot for GPU (EVGA 1080ti Hybrid) and no CPU slot.

I do have F@H slider set to "full"] - apparently F@H uses that 1 thread per GPU to facilitate and this is normal, it hasn't caused any instability or anything

HOWEVER:

Problem is my CPU package temp is hanging out around 85-100 with nothing else really going on ("normal" BG processes like Steam, RTX voice, etc.)

It seems the stable temps in liquid for my AIO mean it is dissipating heat decently, however, even after reapplying thermal paste (Kryonaut) I'm still seeing a lot of heat in the CPU

Is this normal?

Am I missing something?

Build Info:

Annotation_2020-05-28_212543.png

Edited by Hereimiz
AIO model, added Partpicker List

if you cant find out the problem right away, you can always try undervolting your cpu as much as possible as a temporary fix

55°C is quite hot for the liquid temp on that cooler. I wonder if the AIO is hot because the CPU temps are hot or if the CPU temps are hot because the AIO is hot...

Fans working? Pump working properly? How is the case/airflow set up?

The GTX1080Ti could be throwing out a fair bit of heat and if the AIO is exhausting it out of the case then it's going to be pulling through hot air. But even then it seems quite high.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
28 minutes ago, Spotty said:

55°C is quite hot for the liquid temp on that cooler. I wonder if the AIO is hot because the CPU temps are hot or if the CPU temps are hot because the AIO is hot...

Fans working? Pump working properly? How is the case/airflow set up?

The GTX1080Ti could be throwing out a fair bit of heat and if the AIO is exhausting it out of the case then it's going to be pulling through hot air. But even then it seems quite high.

I have the H115i set up in pull as an intake at the top of my case (I know most prefer exhaust there, but it's a filtered location on the case so I prefer to take advantage of that to keep the rad cleaner), and the AIO for the 1080ti is set up in pull as rear exhaust right next to it, I also have another intake (120mm) at the bottom of the case for fresh air into the blower element of the GPU cooler.  It's a very open case (CoolerMaster Storm Trooper circa 2016, Acrylic window over MB but front end is all mesh, running a slightly positive pressure to keep that mesh cleaner)

AFAIK the pump is working, iCue reports RPM for it and they do fluctuate when I switch the profile, tho I have been leaving it at extreme lately.

All fans are spinning, H115i has the stock Corsair fans, 1080ti has stock EVGA fan, bottom intake is some CM or other from a while back and all seem to be moving air pretty well.

Edited by Hereimiz
AIO model
Posted · Original PosterOP

I seem to have found at least part of the solution.

After checking everything (fans, pump, TIM etc) I was still having issues when the computer was idle overnight and I came back to 50+ degrees in the liquid.

I went to make sure I didn't have any overclock applied or anything, discovered my power settings were set to high performance, specifically cpu min and max states were set to 100%

Changed to balanced (cpu min 5%, max 100%) and things have been pretty smooth ever since, currently have liquid temp of 48 while folding, cpu cores are in 68-80C range.

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

As a final follow-up, turns out a little percussive maintenance was needed on the H115i pump housing.

Was doing a little research on the issue as it was happening when not folding after a complete clean install of Win 10

"Couldn't possibly be, right!?"

Turns out it worked, liquid temps immediately dropped into the 40's (C) and 6850k is holding around 60C under load now... much better :)