Shooting video indoors - new phone required?

WildW_UK

Hi folks,

I've had an LG G6 for almost 3 years now. . . honestly it's fine, but I keep noticing that I would like a better camera for stills and video. I'm not sure if what I want is realistic though.

So I'm working from home and I'm trying to shoot a video in my office to demonstrate some new software feature I'm working on - I'm not trying to directly screen grab a PC, this is an embedded control system a touchscreen and external hardware inputs, so I want to shoot video of my whole setup including a screen. If I point the camera at my screen, the whole background goes dark - automatic exposure control doing its thing. If the camera catches the window then the same thing happens, the room goes dark except for the window and you can't see anything useful.

My eyes don't do this, they can see a reasonable balance of everything. I would like to shoot video that looks like what my eyes are seeing. How hard is that, and what is stopping it from happening? Could this be improved with a different camera app? (The built-in one doesn't have any manual controls for exposure). Is the camera itself capable? Is ANY (phone) camera capable? Am I trying to do something simple or impossible?

I don't know if you can do this on the G6 but my in 3 year old Samsung S7 there is a 'Pro' mode in the camera where I can manually adjust settings such as shutter speed and exposure to stop them from auto-correcting

CPU: i7 6700

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

Storage: 2TB Crucial SATA SSD + 2TB WD BLUE

5 minutes ago, WildW_UK said:

If the camera catches the window then the same thing happens, the room goes dark except for the window and you can't see anything useful.

All camera's do this no camera doesn't do this. Best you can do is put it in manual mode and hardlock the settings.