Upgrading Sister's PC

Go to solution Solved by Void Master,
6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

An X570 motherboard is a waste of money and so is fancy RAM, get a B450 or X470 motherboard if it is same or extremely similar in cost, and for memory, get 2 x 16GB modules of RAM or preferably 4 x 16GB, aesthetics of the RAM don't really matter for price to performance upgrades (just look for good CAS latency, memory speeds, etc), also if you find a 3800X for a very similar price to the 3700X then I would go for it and there is no Ryzen 7 3700, only Ryzen 7 3700X:

Nah X570 isn't a waste of money, since she does real work and needs a computer then a guess she can't wait for b550, i'd go for x570 just not to deal with B450 4th gen hassle.(also higher quality motherboard and PCIe 4.0 for the future, which will make the usable life of the system longer)

Most good memory sticks are also fancy :D .......3200-3600 Mhz 32gb is sweet spot.....(2x16gb)

and i meant a 3700x.................

Still if u can afford a 3900x it would be a beast for video editing and 3D modeling...

2 minutes ago, Meowster said:

@Vishera   I opened up the case out of pure curiosity to find that all of the capacitors on the motherboard were either bulging or popped completely. I will most likely look for a Ryzen build for her as @Void Master pointed out

OOOOF....expected

The ryzen build will rlly help her do her work better.....

Yesterday, my Sister came to me and told me she needs an upgrade. She also said 'And it has also been working a bit sluggish and shuts down after being used for a little while'

This is what she currently has:

Intel Core i7-5820K

ASUS Z87-K Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz 2x8GB DDR3 RAM

WD 4TB HDD (she uses it to store her work)

SanDisk 120GB SSD (used only as an OS boot drive)

PNY Quadro P1000 GPU (she got this GPU for free from her work, yes for free) before that, she had an AMD Radeon HD 9850

Overall the system was treated very nicely, cleaned every 2 months 

There is no budget for her upgrades, she will pay for everything :)

Can you guys recommend some nice upgrades? She works for a local graphics designer and does some very intensive 3D modeling and heavy video editing

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

I mean, what is she struggling with workload wise? When is it sluggish? What is she doing when its sluggish?

I would clean the fans, repaste the CPU, refresh the OS, maybe replace the PSU if it still cuts out after and call it. To me it doesnt really sound like it needs an upgrade so much as a bit of maintenance. 

4 minutes ago, Mutoh said:

I mean, what is she struggling with workload wise? When is it sluggish? What is she doing when its sluggish?

I would clean the fans, repaste the CPU, refresh the OS, maybe replace the PSU if it still cuts out after and call it. To me it doesnt really sound like it needs an upgrade so much as a bit of maintenance. 

When you open up Blender or Adobe Premiere, and you start doing some things like render then the PC starts being slow and the mouse stops working and then it gets a BSOD

We removed all the unnecessary programs but the problem still persists. All fans are clean and CPU had thermal paste re-applied yesterday.

FYI the PSU is a Corsair CX 750M (might be overkill)

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

Sounds like it's just ovefheating rather than needing replacing.

The weird thing is that it only reaches a maximum temp of 52C (125.6F) so I wouldn't say it is overheating.

1 minute ago, Meowster said:

The weird thing is that it only reaches a maximum temp of 52C (125.6F) so I wouldn't say it is overheating.

Doesn't need to be the CPU that's overheating to cause performance problems.

Just now, Meowster said:

When you open up Blender or Adobe Premiere, and you start doing some things like render then the PC starts being slow and the mouse stops working and then it gets a BSOD

We removed all the unnecessary programs but the problem still persists. All fans are clean and CPU had thermal paste re-applied yesterday.

Could be stability issues,

Try testing the CPU with a hour of Prime95 using the Small FFTs option,

If it crashes or gives errors during the test please tell us.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Sure, will try that now

12 minutes ago, Meowster said:

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Seems to be more of a stability issue than with the hardware since it is good for those applications (try the CPU test as suggested by @Vishera), may want to add another 2x8GB of RAM as an upgrade that may help out in larger models and editing projects:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMY16GX3M2A1600C9-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory/dp/B00D2LGRPG

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820233535

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

@Vishera  The computer just locked up completely, as soon as I pressed start, it just froze and gave me a BSOD

26 minutes ago, Meowster said:

@Vishera  The computer just locked up completely, as soon as I pressed start, it just froze and gave me a BSOD

The CPU is not stable,there are 3 possible causes for it:

1. The CPU is bad

Power related:

2. The PSU is bad

3. Motherboard is bad

The problem is most likely the CPU itself,and motherboards for this platform are old and expensive anyway.

I recommend to buy a new CPU + motherboard

EDIT: Just to be sure,what is the make and model of the power supply?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

23 minutes ago, Meowster said:

I guess it's time to upgrade....

Go for a 3700 and X570 mobo and fancy new ram....(maybe a 3900x if budget allows, as it's on sale)

if the budget allows try to go for a bigger SSD.(maybe a new gpu too)

it would rlly improve Video editing and 3D modeling performance.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

1 hour ago, Meowster said:

I think that the OP is using a Corsair CX 750M PSU.

40 minutes ago, Meowster said:

Have you done any overclocking on the CPU (if so then set back to default clocks and voltage), what BSOD error did you get when this happened, check Windows Event Viewer to help gather additional details on the crash (http://www.eztechspot.com/how-to-check-what-caused-blue-screen-bsod-windows/)?

10 minutes ago, Void Master said:

I guess it's time to upgrade....

Go for a 3700 and X570 mobo and fancy new ram....(maybe a 3900x if budget allows, as it's on sale)

if the budget allows try to go for a bigger SSD.(maybe a new gpu too)

it would rlly improve Video editing and 3D modeling performance.

An X570 motherboard is a waste of money and so is fancy RAM, get a B450 or X470 motherboard if it is same or extremely similar in cost, and for memory, get 2 x 16GB modules of RAM or preferably 4 x 16GB, aesthetics of the RAM don't really matter for price to performance upgrades (just look for good CAS latency, memory speeds, etc), also if you find a 3800X for a very similar price to the 3700X then I would go for it and there is no Ryzen 7 3700, only Ryzen 7 3700X:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8BLwrH/gskill-aegis-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-32gis

@Boomwebsearch 

21 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The CPU is not stable,there are 3 possible causes for it:

1. The CPU is bad

Power related:

2. The PSU is bad

3. Motherboard is bad

The problem is most likely the CPU itself,and motherboards for this platform are old and expensive anyway.

I recommend to buy a new CPU + motherboard

@Vishera   I opened up the case out of pure curiosity to find that all of the capacitors on the motherboard were either bulging or popped completely. I will most likely look for a Ryzen build for her as @Void Master pointed out

Just now, Meowster said:

This build is pretty good with better RAM for cheap:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $274.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $472.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-28 13:29 EDT-0400  

6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Nah X570 isn't a waste of money, since she does real work and needs a computer then a guess she can't wait for b550, i'd go for x570 just not to deal with B450 4th gen hassle.(also higher quality motherboard and PCIe 4.0 for the future, which will make the usable life of the system longer)

Most good memory sticks are also fancy :D .......3200-3600 Mhz 32gb is sweet spot.....(2x16gb)

and i meant a 3700x.................

Still if u can afford a 3900x it would be a beast for video editing and 3D modeling...

2 minutes ago, Meowster said:

OOOOF....expected

The ryzen build will rlly help her do her work better.....

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

I think an SSD drive for data and not only boot drive should solve the problem

-= Topic moved to New Builds and Planning =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Meowster said:

@Vishera   I opened up the case out of pure curiosity to find that all of the capacitors on the motherboard were either bulging or popped completely. I will probably go with @Boomwebsearch build because it seems like a good deal. But still thanks for your help

Unfortunately, a new motherboard is likely required, you can get a used LGA 2011 Motherboard for like $40 to replace the damaged one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3600-Socket-LGA2011-DDR3-Workstation-Motherboard-0PTTT9/303340482961?epid=1650969039&hash=item46a0807191%3Ag%3AAWQAAOSwtjBdsM1V&LH_BIN=1

2 minutes ago, Void Master said:

i'd go for x570 just not to deal with B450 4th gen hassle.(also higher quality motherboard and PCIe 4.0 for the future, which will make the usable life of the system longer)

Any MSI AM4-socket MAX motherboard will not have issues with working with Ryzen CPUs out of the box without BIOS update being needed, X470 boards are better overall with usually better VRM designs and quality (compared to a B450 board) and can usually be found at a similar cost to a B450 board.

Recommended X470 motherboard for Ryzen:    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX.html

39 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Most good memory sticks are also fancy :D .......3200-3600 Mhz 32gb is sweet spot

Not always the case (especially for budget systems) and it's usually the only benefits being better aesthetics/lighting. Only once you get into the extremely expensive high-end RAM, then there is a bit better quality. 3200MHz at least would be my recommendation for 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs, the 3800X has a better cooler, is better binned with usually better overclocking (depending on silicon lottery), and has automatic boost overclocking with the right conditions present (ex. cooling and power).

@Boomwebsearch