Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArunS

Ryzen 3100 and Asus Prime B450M-A compatability

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone - would appreciate your help on this. This may be such a newb question:

Is Ryzen 3 - 3100 3.9ghz compatabile with the ASUS PRIME B450M-A (AM4) Motherboard?    

This is my first PC build and I can't get it to post. I heard somewhere the motherboard is not comptabile with this chipset? 

Many thanks in advance, 

AS

4 minutes ago, ArunS said:

Hi everyone - would appreciate your help on this. This may be such a newb question:

Is Ryzen 3 - 3100 3.9ghz compatabile with the ASUS PRIME B450M-A (AM4) Motherboard?    

This is my first PC build and I can't get it to post. I heard somewhere the motherboard is not comptabile with this chipset? 

Many thanks in advance, 

AS

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

It is compatible with BIOS revisions >= 1607. Asus usually sticks the preinstalled bios number on the serial sticker, as the last four digits (Always separated with space). Sometimes it's also on the box. If you contact their support, they can usually help you find which sticker this is.

Main: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

image.png.f208795e1c738211b9231b96ed8e7114.png

Edit: If you bought it a long time ago it may be possible that your motherboard isn't updated.

If you did buy it not so long ago it should be compatible since asus updates the bios before selling them as the time passed.

17 minutes ago, LordWk said:

image.png.f208795e1c738211b9231b96ed8e7114.png

Edit: If you bought it a long time ago it may be possible that your motherboard isn't updated.

If you did buy it not so long ago it should be compatible since asus updates the bios before selling them as the time passed.

If the stock isn't new there is nothing he can do about it

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

@TofuHaroto so I can see your post 

I seek to max the letter count on every ... Single ... Site 

only the bravest are capable of such mission

Spoiler

Hi

Consider a MSI board with BIOS Flashback.  This feature basically allows you flash the bios to the latest version even without a CPU installed and hence ensures your new Ryzen 3 3100 will work the first time.  My recommendation would be to get the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max at $115.  It has this feature and is an amazing motherboard for now and the future if you should ever desire to get a new CPU.  It's more than teh Prime B450 but honestly that just isn't a great board and you might just end up disappointed.  If the Tomahawk isn't available or just too much look at the MSI B450 Mortar.  Good luck and enjoy your new build!

Consultant by day, terrible youtuber by night.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDDr_uxt6MSeUTsd8hmDOXw

Just now, dobuybuildgo said:

Consider a MSI board with BIOS Flashback.  This feature basically allows you flash the bios to the latest version even without a CPU installed and hence ensures your new Ryzen 3 3100 will work the first time.  My recommendation would be to get the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max at $115.  It has this feature and is an amazing motherboard for now and the future if you should ever desire to get a new CPU.  It's more than teh Prime B450 but honestly that just isn't a great board and you might just end up disappointed.  If the Tomahawk isn't available or just too much look at the MSI B450 Mortar.  Good luck and enjoy your new build!

He already has the board

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

@TofuHaroto so I can see your post 

I seek to max the letter count on every ... Single ... Site 

only the bravest are capable of such mission

Spoiler

Hi

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you soo much everyone - You guys are awesome with the responses. The sticker and ASUS support website says I have bios:

Version 1820.

Released 2019/09/24

Update AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA to improve system performance.
Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

Think I am just going to try and return it and actually invest in a decent board. 

AS