HDD Docking Doesn't Have Enough Power, What To Do?

Hi folks, ive been fan of linus and silent reader on LTT for a very long time.

I've always find the solution for my problem here but apparently not this one, that's why i create an account and hopefuly you guys can help me.

I bought this HDD Docking from Orico, it came with 12V 2.0A adapter. The problem is, it doesn't seem to have enough power to spin my old HGST dan WD Drives.

I can hear it spinning and then it stop, and it continue to spin again in a loop. And yes, its not the hard drive, the hard drives works fine if i plug it into my PC.

However, some low capacity hard drive and SSD works just fine when i plug it in the DockingStation.

Would buying another adapter with higher AMP rating will help?

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, Persona_non_grata said:

...12V 2.0A adapter. ..

How many hard drives do you have in the dock? They should consume about 5-9W each, and on the label on the drive there should be more specific info about it 

Assuming 9W, with a 12V 2A adapter (24W) you could only use two of them at their rated speed at best.

Does the dock get power from a USB on the PC or is it wall-plugged?

1 minute ago, 3rrant said:

How many hard drives do you have in the dock? They should consume about 5-9W each, and on the label on the drive there should be more specific info about it 

Assuming 9W, with a 12V 2A adapter (24W) you could only use two of them at their rated speed at best.

Does the dock get power from a USB on the PC or is it wall-plugged?

Sorry, its a single slot dockingstation.

And its wall plugged but i am not sure if its also needs power from the USB. But since it came with the wall adapter, i don't think it is.

1 minute ago, Persona_non_grata said:

Sorry, its a single slot dockingstation.

And its wall plugged but i am not sure if its also needs power from the USB. But since it came with the wall adapter, i don't think it is.

For a single driver the power should not be an issue really. 24w should be way more than a harddrive will ever need.

Might be software related? The USB port for transfert might go to sleep mid-operation for some reason like power setting?

Or the problem are seeks, so that while the harddrive is seeking data it slows down significantly because of the usb connection 

2 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

For a single driver the power should not be an issue really. 24w should be way more than a harddrive will ever need.

Might be software related? The USB port for transfert might go to sleep mid-operation for some reason like power setting?

Or the problem are seeks, so that while the harddrive is seeking data it slows down significantly because of the usb connection 

But it happen with any PC.

When i plug in the drive, it start to spin but then it starts to slow down and start accelerating again in a loop. Strangely, some low capacity HDD and high capacity SSD work just fine.

13 minutes ago, Persona_non_grata said:

But it happen with any PC.

When i plug in the drive, it start to spin but then it starts to slow down and start accelerating again in a loop. Strangely, some low capacity HDD and high capacity SSD work just fine.

Did you try benchmarking the disk with and without the docking station to see if, aside from this spin up spin down, the speed is actually affected?

Edit: also check disk management and power settings for USB devices in your power management settings in Windows. Set both to never turn off and check if this resolve the issue.

22 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Did you try benchmarking the disk with and without the docking station to see if, aside from this spin up spin down, the speed is actually affected?

Which drives? the working one or the old HGST and WD? because those two cant even spin and did not get detected. as for the working one, yes i did everything and it has no issues aside from USB 3.0 limitation.

22 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Edit: also check disk management and power settings for USB devices in your power management settings in Windows. Set both to never turn off and check if this resolve the issue.

Already did most software related thingy, sorry i didn't mention it.

The only thing that i havent try is to get another adapter. But i don't know whether its the main issue or not. I was hoping if someone had similar issue before and managed to fix it someway or somehow. But thanks for the help.