Are gamemax PSUs good?

ItsTrashPanda

So I’ve been looking into getting a new power supply and there is the gamemax rgb 850 watt psu for $150. On amazon it has five stars but there are only four reviews and only two are verified purchases. It is rated an 80+ Gold certified so I think it’s probably fine but it also seems like a cheap Chinese brand.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Never heard of them, and can't find any detailed information or reviews, which isn't a good sign. 

For $150, I feel like you could get a PSU that's known to be good. I'd recommend looking at the tier list posted above by @svmlegacy to get an idea of what's good. 

23 minutes ago, TrashPanda30 said:

So I’ve been looking into getting a new power supply and there is the gamemax rgb 850 watt psu for $150. On amazon it has five stars but there are only four reviews and only two are verified purchases. It is rated an 80+ Gold certified so I think it’s probably fine but it also seems like a cheap Chinese brand.

No. I looked them up once. I can't remember who they're rebranding units from, but their units are Chinese firecrackers.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

41 minutes ago, TrashPanda30 said:

. It is rated an 80+ Gold certified so I think it’s probably fine but it also seems like a cheap Chinese brand.

"Gold" is only an efficiency level and it's often faked.

Can you provide a link to the specific PSU?

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, TrashPanda30 said:

Whilst I can't say if it's legit, I do know that GameMax is a rebranding of Sohoo Technology, a computer peripherals company based in Guangdong, China.

GameMax products are very commonly found all across Asia because they're cheap and full of rgbs.

Probably this information helps.

1 hour ago, ryosurbakti__ said:

Whilst I can't say if it's legit, I do know that GameMax is a rebranding of Sohoo Technology, a computer peripherals company based in Guangdong, China.

GameMax products are very commonly found all across Asia because they're cheap and full of rgbs.

Probably this information helps.

No.  That tells us absolutely nothing more than what many of us already know or have found out since this thread was last responded to almost FOUR MONTHS AGO.  But thanks for the input.

• 1 year later...

I know i'm resurrecting a dead thread here but I just wanted to let everyone know my GameMax 850RGB 80 Plus Gold Certified Power supply is losing power on it's 12v rail and causing the PC to reboot.  Happens when playing demanding 3D titles.  I can still mine eth fine surprisingly.   I bought this unit during the power supply drought (all high wattage PSU's were sold out for months) during the start of the pandemic.  I usually only buy corsair, EVGA or Seasonic, but at the time I could only find 550w and below in those brand.  To let you know how bad it was, I paid around $150 for this unit.  Today, I can get a 1000w corsair for that price.   Went on Amazon in order to lookup the companies contact information and it looks like they have been removed completely from Amazon's platform.  Sent a email to the only address listed on their site about a week ago but have not gotten a response.  Stay away from this company guys.  The power supply might work for a year or two, but it'll eventually fail.  I'm willing to donate the bad PSU to Jonny if he wants to do a teardown article on it. 

• 11 months later...

SO I bought a 4090 recently (woo hoo!), and decided to upgrade to a Gen5 PSU (that have a convenient one cable for the new 12vhpwr 600w connector). Well there aren't many options - above 1000W (old PSU size), so I went with the Gamemax 1300w RGB PSU for 240 bucks on amazon. It worked great for 24 hours. Go to power it on on the next day, just clicks... I take it out and jump it... doesn't power on anymore. So a new 1300w EVGA is coming in tomorrow, I bought a cablemod squid cable that is 4x8pin by 600w for 25 bucks too. Hopefully nothing else is hurt in the system.

But I have only heard bad reviews of GameMax - though I haven't been able to find all that much on them in the first place. All I proffer here is another example, not analysis/hypothesis.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:18 PM, Guest said:

No.  That tells us absolutely nothing more than what many of us already know or have found out since this thread was last responded to almost FOUR MONTHS AGO.  But thanks for the input.

English may not be this individual's first language, to which you must understand there are many ways people say stuff in other languages, and you can't really translate it. Not only does their post read that way, but also "Probably this information helps" is obviously a strange way to say that - so that, general sensibility to the writing of the English language by those who don't speak it well (like you who starts sentences with "But") or lack of commas in your multi-clause first sentence.

So maybe be sensible, polite, and perhaps CLOSE YOUR MOUTH if you ain't got nothing to say but to be an ***hole.

Ryo may not have added to the conversation, but at least they did not take anything away from our collective humanity either. 

Food for thought, dick.