Water Cooling a TI-84

AlexTheGreatish
7 hours ago, Nystemy said:

Though, I should probably not go through the whole history of computer architectures, even though the Z1 is an interesting mechanical beast....

Suppose it would be fair to say modern high-performance CPUs focus more on throughput rather than latency. It may take more cycles for an instruction to go from start to finish, but (many) more instructions can be handled simultaneously. 

I think a deep dive into cpu architectures, while certainly beyond the scope of this thread, would make a great dedicated thread. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Suppose it would be fair to say modern high-performance CPUs focus more on throughput rather than latency. It may take more cycles for an instruction to go from start to finish, but (many) more instructions can be handled simultaneously. 

I think a deep dive into cpu architectures, while certainly beyond the scope of this thread, would make a great dedicated thread. 

At that point I think a book would be more fitting to be fair.

Though, having studied computer architecture design and semiconductor device manufacturing for over a decade. Not to mention general electronics for even longer.

One eventually reaches that part of the Dunning Kruger effect that one underestimates other peoples knowledge in the field... In other words, I got to remind myself that everyone doesn't inherently know what a memory channel is, or what a program counter does, or how x86/ARM shuffles threads around in the background...

Making a questions and answers session would be fun, though having unintentionally done that in various chat rooms and comment sections through the years shows that some people ask oddly specific questions about very specific processors. Either to be a gnarly troll pointing out that they in fact know more about a singular detail, or due to having a genuin interest in that specific thing. (Its a bit like asking a car expert what the ratio is between a specific pair of gears in a specific model and brand of car, they likely won't know the correct answer.)

Though, wouldn't call myself an expert, I am mostly generally knowledgeable, can be wrong about stuff at times, or mix up details. Mistakes, we all make them.

19 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Is it any more difficult  than jailbreaking an iPhone?

It seems easier than jaibreaking an iPhone

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

• 3 weeks later...

I got the TI-84 Plus CE in 8th grade (the one Texas Instruments sent them). I think the reason the TI-Connect software hasn't changed at all is because the newer calculators use TI-Connect CE, which does look considerably more modern. I would love to see someone try overclocking those too, because they're faster than the older models already and it would be interesting to see them reach their full potential.

• 10 months later...

I am impressed, but you only tweaked it's clock speed ...and... did you possibly try to measure it's voltages ? i gues with such clock improvements it's own dc-dc converters are not catching up, like... you even did not show us any it's voltages graphs with oscilloscope, litterally you MUST make another video where you will improve it's clocks adding extra capacitors to make it's voltages stable. also, i guess you might add external dc-dc converters and let this calculator work on higher voltage at least. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Managed to get 7.7515 mhz on slow mode and 32.593 mhz on fast mode. Used the pencil method.

Sorry if i misinterpret or say something rude, i'm on the spectrum and have a hard time with anything social. I do my best to make sure i don't but sometimes i just cant tell.

SYSTEM SPECS

ASUS ROG STRIX B450F-II Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 5700g

8GB Trident Z Neo RAM - 3200 MHZ

2 TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD + other ssd drives totaling to 2 tb

Seagate 750W PSU Platinum Rated

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12G rev 2.0

VERY FIRST COMPUTER SPECS

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz

2GB LPDDR4-3200

2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet

yeah it was basically a raspberry pi 4 model b 2gb. I do have a 4gb now cause the 2 gb one shorted out. Still love absolutely everything about that tiny computer as its the reasons i like computers so much now and the reason i know so much about computers and how to use them.

"If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." - Edsger Dijkstra