[COMPLETED with TUTORIAL] Ambilight - Atmospheric lighting behind your TV/Monitor

hi d33g33, I'm sooo gratefull for your tutorial! You did amaizing project. I have decided to folow your tutorial only without frame becouse i will be using ws2801. in a few days when it arives i will start my (your) project and i will appriciete if you help me. I have downloaded all software you provided but when i start ambibox i dont get different boxes colors...they are all the same color.? (i'm not conected arduino yet) do you have any idea? THX

When yu say different box colours, do you mean the areas that the software is using to grab the screen? if so dont worry, it doesnt matter what colours they are. FYI, im also using WS2801's

thanks for quick reply, thats righ, here is screenshot http://postimg.org/image/i3pe7vbod/full And for WS2801, sory my bad, i thought WS2801  roll/strip not string.

The blue boxes? yeah makes no different what colour they are. WS2801 comes in strip, string and satellite :) Be sure to post a picture/video when you get it up and running.

I'm not alive until I make it works ;) . also i have question about power suply. i thought to power it up with PC power unit, it has 5V 15 A output. My WS2801 will have about 3m lenght so i think it will be enought. And qouestion is: do I have to power led strip on more than one segment or I can put power on one end of the led strip?

I'm not alive until I make it works ;) . also i have question about power suply. i thought to power it up with PC power unit, it has 5V 15 A output. My WS2801 will have about 3m lenght so i think it will be enought. And qouestion is: do I have to power led strip on more than one segment or I can put power on one end of the led strip?

5v off pc power supply is a good option! The issue is voltage drop over distance you will notice a drop of brightness and maybe colour over distance.

I have 200 LED's and I have power connected at LED No. 1 (feeding through to LED No. 99) and LED No. 100 (feeding through to LED No. 200) so if you're using 100 LED's in my opinion 1 power connection at the start of the string us sufficient.

thank you so much! in next 1-2 weeks I will hopefully upload photos...one more time, thx!!!

This is amazing! in a super geeky way

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd try my hand at making one of these and everything was working fine until for some the first LED on the strip is always on.

Here is a video showing what its doing

Im not totally sure why this might be happening so any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

Great tutorial by the way, super easy to follow

• 2 weeks later...

My ws2801 have 5v, ck, sd, gnd... if i switch ck and sd i dont have anything...no lights. If i move white window, strip reacts to that but it continuosli change colors

I thought I'd try my hand at making one of these and everything was working fine until for some the first LED on the strip is always on.

Here is a video showing what its doing

Im not totally sure why this might be happening so any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

Great tutorial by the way, super easy to follow

That seems like a ground issue of the LED strips to me, I used to get that sometimes randomly (rarely), replugging the USB to the PC fixed it.

My ws2801 have 5v, ck, sd, gnd... if i switch ck and sd i dont have anything...no lights. If i move white window, strip reacts to that but it continuosli change colors

Your order of colours are set to BRG but I think they should be RGB (in AmbiBox). Can you change that first and let me know what happens.

I already change this and the result is same...i also try to change pc, replacing 1pin wires...i'm using ambibox 2.1.7 and i think there is a chance that is the problem...do you have earlier version of ambibox (2.1.4) ? When I run arduino my leds lights up in blue, green than red so I think that part is ok...here is another video where my leds know when is black colour so they wont turn on and when color changes they light up but with random blink

http://youtu.be/SG-vcCVIqRM

I already change this and the result is same...i also try to change pc, replacing 1pin wires...i'm using ambibox 2.1.7 and i think there is a chance that is the problem...do you have earlier version of ambibox (2.1.4) ? When I run arduino my leds lights up in blue, green than red so I think that part is ok...here is another video where my leds know when is black colour so they wont turn on and when color changes they light up but with random blink

http://youtu.be/SG-vcCVIqRM

Hmmm this is really odd, sorry I haven't seen it before I'm not sure what to advise you next. I want to say that there seems to be something with the LED strip but I don't know exactly.

my friend, do you have ambibox 2.1.4 to send me? i cant find it online.

also, can you give me copy/paste code for testing my ws2801? thx

My friend, i now see that my ws2801 after running arduino code start with blue, green than red color! Do you think that is problem? Please help im desperate.,.

my friend, I just try ambibox 2.1.4 and there is same problem...do you think that arduino code is wrong or needs to be changed? (after uploading code first color is blue, second green, third is red instead first red, second green, third blue)

I've just moved house and have my daughters first birthday this weekend so it's going to take me a while to be set up to help you. It seems like the LED strip you have a dress the colours in a different order, you should be able to compensate for this in Ambibox as I said but that doesn't explain the flickering. I'll see what I can research but like I said. I can't help you immediately.

This relates to the LDP not the WS controller but cause could be the same. Ensure that the GROUND for the LED is carried all the way from end of the strip to the arduino/teensy

https://learn.adafruit.com/digital-led-strip/troubleshooting

Thx my friend for helping me, i will not forget you! Great news, i found solution for my problem, i use new code that i found:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59464&p=301431&hilit=WS2801#p301431

I will post video to show my set up...i have surprise for you ;)

Excellent news! I look forward to seeing the video!