Budget build for my Son's 1st PC

Hello everyone. I just built a PC (Got the parts for free) for my Son.

It is an Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (I know ancient) it has 4gb DDR2 and an Asus 560ti. It actually runs good with a fresh Win 7 64 bit.

There are a few PCs local for sale that are better but I was wondering if they are even worth it.

I found a complete system with an i5 750, Asus P7P55 LX, 4gb ddr3 1333, 1TB hhd, ATI Radeon HD5770 and an LC Power LC6550. All for 100€. If I get it I will add the 560ti or a 760 (all stuff I already have) and add an SSD with 128gb. Is it worth the 100€?

Also locally is an i5 4670 setup with 8gb ddr3 on a Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H but no HDD or GPU with a Bequiet Straight Power E9 400w, for 150€

What would you guys recommend for the price? I am unemployed ATM so that is why my Budget is so low but I want to make the Kid happy with his first own PC.

2 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

Also locally is an i5 4670 setup with 8gb ddr3 on a Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H but no HDD or GPU with a Bequiet Straight Power E9 400w, for 150€

This is obviously the best imo 

For 50 pounds more you get a chip that Is not ancient and honestly haswell still has decent ipc and will do the job 

And if you want to go a step further add like a 1650 and that would be a component 1080p Machine

But this is just my opinion

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

Hello everyone. I just built a PC (Got the parts for free) for my Son.

It is an Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (I know ancient) it has 4gb DDR2 and an Asus 560ti. It actually runs good with a fresh Win 7 64 bit.

There are a few PCs local for sale that are better but I was wondering if they are even worth it.

I found a complete system with an i5 750, Asus P7P55 LX, 4gb ddr3 1333, 1TB hhd, ATI Radeon HD5770 and an LC Power LC6550. All for 100€. If I get it I will add the 560ti or a 760 (all stuff I already have) and add an SSD with 128gb. Is it worth the 100€?

What would you guys recommend for the price? I am unemployed ATM so that is why my Budget is so low but I want to make the Kid happy with his first own PC.

What is your son planning to use the system for, would highly recommend having at least 8GB of RAM, finding some cheap used components and throwing them together may be of better value, although it depends. 

Case doesn't really matter as long as it supports sufficient airflow, pretty much any 80+ PSU from a somewhat reputable brand will do for a budget build, storage depends on your needs although an SSD is recommended for at least OS drive, proprietary motherboards can be a pain for rejecting components and having proprietary connections so get a standard retail board if possible, get at least a quad core 64 bit CPU such as a Core 2 Quad Q6600 to Q9650 depending on cost difference, and a GTX 560TI or GTX 760 should be fine.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

pretty much any 80+ PSU from a somewhat reputable brand will do for a budget build,

If it is an oem I would not do that as they tend to have proprietary wire layout

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

22 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

This is obviously the best imo 

For 50 pounds more you get a chip that Is not ancient and honestly haswell still has decent ipc and will do the job 

And if you want to go a step further add like a 1650 and that would be a component 1080p Machine

But this is just my opinion

Agreed, but 1650 is overpriced, 570/580 is better value.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Agreed, but 1650 is overpriced, 570/580 is better value.

Yea but they need a pcie cable which is not always guaranteed on these cheap PSUs 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Yea but they need a pcie cable which is not always guaranteed on these cheap PSUs 

He should upgrade the PSU regardless of what GPU he puts in it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

If it is an oem I would not do that as they tend to have proprietary wire layout

I was talking about building a system from standard used components, not about OEM components/systems which are generally more limited in terms of hardware support and upgradability.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I was talking about building a system from standard used components, not about OEM components/systems which are generally more limited in terms of hardware support and upgradability.

Oh sorry my bad lmao 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

He should upgrade the PSU regardless of what GPU he puts in it.

Agreed 

Build Log: 

15 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What is your son planning to use the system for, would highly recommend having at least 8GB of RAM, finding some cheap used components and throwing them together may be of better value, although it depends. 

Case doesn't really matter as long as it supports sufficient airflow, pretty much any 80+ PSU from a somewhat reputable brand will do for a budget build, storage depends on your needs although an SSD is recommended for at least OS drive, proprietary motherboards can be a pain for rejecting components and having proprietary connections so get a standard retail board if possible, get at least a quad core 64 bit CPU such as a Core 2 Quad Q6600 to Q9650 depending on cost difference, and a GTX 560TI or GTX 760 should be fine.

20 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

PSU I have a few here that are pretty good and with PCIe connectors. The only reason it has 4gb of ram now is because the CPU can't support more. I will add at least 8gb if not 16gb. He would probably like to play some games. nothing top tier but Minecraft and so would be cool. He likes RTS games and so. Right now I downloaded Doom (1993), Fallout 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft. Some of the older games are still great ones.
An SSD is definitely being put in. and Worst case I still have my old Q9300 C2Q system which He might get anyway. I really love collecting older tech and still having them run well. The Q9300 was my fist setup that I upgraded over the years. Started out with that, 4gb of ram and a GT250 from MSI then a 560ti then 760 and finally over y few more years to my system now which of course I have swapped everything lol so it is no longer considered an upgrade except for the case. (i5 4690k, Asrock Z87, 16gb ddr3 and a 980ti.)

PSU I have a few here that are pretty good and with PCIe connectors. The only reason it has 4gb of ram now is because the CPU can't support more. I will add at least 8gb if not 16gb. He would probably like to play some games. nothing top tier but Minecraft and so would be cool. He likes RTS games and so. Right now I downloaded Doom (1993), Fallout 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft. Some of the older games are still great ones.
An SSD is definitely being put in. and Worst case I still have my old Q9300 C2Q system which He might get anyway. I really love collecting older tech and still having them run well. The Q9300 was my fist setup that I upgraded over the years. Started out with that, 4gb of ram and a GT250 from MSI then a 560ti then 760 and finally over y few more years to my system now which of course I have swapped everything lol so it is no longer considered an upgrade except for the case. (i5 4690k, Asrock Z87, 16gb ddr3 and a 980ti.)

I think the 150 pound build is the best and pair with with like an rx560 for 50 bucks (used )

And that would be an awesome casual gaming rig 

Edited by TofuHaroto
Correction

Build Log: 

I bought an R9 270x for 56€ and I was also thinking about a Ryzen build. I found a Ryzen 5 1400 + AB350 Gaming 3 MB for 140€ I would just need to get some DDR4 ram

I found a Ryzen 5 1400 + AB350 Gaming 3 MB for 140€

Do you already have this combo ?

Build Log: 

17 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Do you already have this combo ?

No but I found it for sale locally

3 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

No but I found it for sale locally

1 hour ago, GreY2231 said:

This system would be better imo 

With the GPU what you bought it should be good 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, GreY2231 said:

ok cool. 

Good luck :)

Build Log: