Newbie wants to know the use of AV receivers

I have posted this on another forum but then I thought lets ask my friends here.

I know nothing about AV receivers. Never used one. So I am curious.

I have used 5.1 speakers with the computer in the past. All I had to do was plug in 3 jacks to the 3 females on the motherboard.
The only cost was the price of the 5.1 speakers.

But now that I am using a LED TV & want a 5.1 setup I am told that I need an AV receiver.

Probably a stupid question but why doesn't digital cable set top boxes or modern TVs offer a 5.1 output just like DVD players & computers offer ?

Why this extra need for a AV receiver ?

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

Maybe your TV doesn't support 5.1, or he's trying to sell you the receiver.

You can plug the speakers from the TV if it's supports 5.1 speaker.

Using a receiver may produce a better output, since it can drive more power to the speakers.

If you plan to use your PC as a player, just run hdmi to tv and audio from your pc.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

an avr is for louder, better sound with a lot more connections. if you want 5.1 sound or better you go with hdmi which a avr uses. tos (optical is basic surround)..not 5.1 or better formats

if using a pc you go hdmi to avr then avr to tv.

most avrs have multiple hdmi ins so you can have everything going to avr then at a push of a button switch to what your using

as for why some dont have it... a lot have tos (optical) which again is basic surround. but most set top boxes dont because its cheaper and a lot of people just run one to their tv