What's the best slot to install an nvme SSD?

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII Z490, and it comes with 3 nvme slots. I would like to know what slot would provide me with the best performance and overall stability without affecting my other SATA devices. I will also have an additional SATA HDD and SATA SSD. The main nvme SSD will be my Windows drive. I've been hearing mixed things. Some tell me to install to the slot closest to the CPU for maximum bandwidth, while others are saying to choose the slot furthest from the CPU for better cooling. Not sure what to do.

uc?id=14uj3Xfg1a0w7Yhtnss1js5NHCVEFtZgJ

In terms of performance not a whole lot change but it's advised to put it in the first slot 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

In terms of performance not a whole lot change but it's advised to put it in the first slot 

A,B,C or D?

Slot B

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Slot B

^

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Thanks, I'm having trouble understanding the diagram. Can you explain to me why slot B would be optimal as compared to the others? I thought the 1st slot would be D and the 2nd slot B, and the third C according to the motherboard diagram.

Just now, LadyCore said:

Thanks, I'm having trouble understanding the diagram. Can you explain to me why slot B would be optimal as compared to the others? I thought the 1st slot would be D and the 2nd slot B, and the third C according to the motherboard diagram.

I looked at the digram for a bit and after a while I understand how it is layed out ( the diagram not the mobo) 

So the m.2 at slot b or the first m.2 slot gets the full bandwidth of x4 from the chipset 

This thing is called a dmi link 

Now for slot d 

It can run at pcie 3.0 x4 and it can also run at SATA 

But there are more than one d and there are more than one b 

B indicates a full 168 pin full sized slot that runs at x4 or x1 and the m.2 runs at x4 or x2 (from what I can see ) 

Slot D 

There is a SATA port and an m.2 that runs at both x4 or SATA 

Sorry if this is wrong the diagram in all honesty is kind of confusing

But there is nothing wrong running your m.2 at slot d aswell :)

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

because i dont see any slot D anywhere?

If you look closely there at the right side of the diagram there is a SATA port named D and there is an m.2 slot above the red circle named D

As I said in my other post what I said could be wrong as I didn't fully understand the diagram

Build Log: 

others have answered.

but just wanted to say CUDOS for actually supplying schematics for ppl to know what its about. :)

14 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

@TofuHaroto @LadyCore @SupaKomputa

you guys do know that this is a configuration chart for all pcie devices (A B C D) in the system. because i only see m1 m2 and m3 as m.2 slots.

because i dont see any slot D anywhere?

You only have 3 M.2 Slots B, C and D. A is strictly for PCIe x16 Slot 1 and 2 (the long slot).

Basically you can put the nvme anywhere, you still have the same x4 speed.

If you use slot B with x4 speed, you cannot use the PCIe x16 B slot (the third long slot). This slot cannot use SATA mode only PCI-E.

But if you still wanna use them both, the m.2 will get X2 and the PCIe will get x1.

The C and D slot controlled by the chipset, so you can use Sata mode, it will disable the Sata port C or D if m.2 sata is used.

Slot B is preferable because it's running straight to the CPU, not the chipset. CMIIW.

Overclocking & Review: Core i9-10900K & MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE ...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Slot B is preferable because it's running straight to the CPU, not the chipset. CMIIW.

So slot B would give me best performance?

theoretically yes, because you bypass the chipset and go straight to the cpu.

But in reality it won't matter, the difference is so small to be noticable.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

theoretically yes, because you bypass the chipset and go straight to the cpu.

But in reality it won't matter, the difference is so small to be noticable.

If I install my nvme SSD into slot B, will I also be able to install an additional SATA SSD and SATA HDD as well? The motherboard has 6 SATA channels, and some nvme slots will disable 2 of those.

Yes, if you use PCIe / NVME mode in all of the M.2, you still can use all 6 of the sata.

Sata will be disable IF you use SATA mode on C or D.

So if you plug 2 m.2 SATA drive on C or D, you'll have 4 sata slot left.

Slot B won't effect anything as it cannot use SATA mode.

Thank you very much for your help and thorough explanation!