Anyone got any idea how to factory reset this thing?

LinusTech

Basically its got a configuration loaded on it, but there is no obvious way to reset it. 

I can't find anything on it that obviously contains storage. The two horizontally marked ICs are TI - so some kind of processor, presumably. The vertically mounted one is unmarked so God only knows what it is.

20200527_001942.jpg

20200527_001936.jpg

Could the button be for reset?

that is the only way I could imagine for this thing to be correctly resetted

Maybe that could help ( I only recently got into DIY electronics so maybe my solution is a stupid idea)

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Drama Lama said:

Could the button be for reset?

Definitely thought of that ;)

The one on the right is for activating it (short press) or entering pairing mode (long press). The one on the left changes the operating mode of the relays. 

Once it is loaded with a configuration you cannot enter pairing mode... 

Don't you just reflash the stock firmware?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

looks like a micro pc board. it has a usb port, so maybe can attach it to a pc and delete the old pairing file/config.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Definitely thought of that ;)

The one on the right is for activating it (short press) or entering pairing mode (long press). The one on the left changes the operating mode of the relays. 

Once it is loaded with a configuration you cannot enter pairing mode... 

Holding both buttons together?

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Holding both buttons together?

Tried that. No dice. 

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Got a manufacturer link? One Amazon review says it has a web API. Possibly you can send it a command.

when a burglar yells at your house "alexa open the garage door" you know you went too far in home automation.

7 minutes ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Try pairing it with the app. Maybe there is a very convenient setting.

Cannot pair with app without wifi.

2 minutes ago, foldingNoob said:

Got a manufacturer link? One Amazon review says it has a web API. Possibly you can send it a command.

when a burglar yells at your house "alexa open the garage door" you know you went too far in home automation.

Seems to be sourced through a reseller of some sort. I don't think these guys are actually the factory, unfortunately :(

http://www.micaccessory.com/ACCESSORIES_4.html

https://notenoughtech.com/home-automation/hacking-esp8285-geekgerit-4-way-relay-controller/

Sorry for the LMGTFY answer, but while researching I found this and I think that it's the ticket.

EDIT:

The board in the article looks different, but the only thing different about it is the micro-USB power delivery circuitry. Everything else appears to be identical. What you hold in your hand is likely a cheaper (or ripped off) version of the board in the article.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

6 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

https://notenoughtech.com/home-automation/hacking-esp8285-geekgerit-4-way-relay-controller/

Sorry for the LMGTFY answer, but while researching I found this and I think that it's the ticket.

That does appear to be basically the same controller. 

That is.... far more work than I'm willing to put into something that I spend $13 on. 

I will give it away to someone at the office and get a higher quality one that I know has a basic reset function for next time.. 

Or I might hold onto it for a fun project when I'm bored. Either way I need a much faster solution to getting my garage door working... 

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Either way I need a much faster solution to getting my garage door working... 

Have you tried the old fashioned way? I'm told that it never fails unless the batteries die.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

25 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I need a much faster solution to getting my garage door working

Bite the bullet and talk to the OEM. My father was charged quite a bit for a new remote but it only took 5 minutes to get it working.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

The two horizontally marked ICs are TI - so some kind of processor, presumably. The vertically mounted one is unmarked so God only knows what it is.

The top horizontal IC (uln2003) is a transistor array. Can't read the bottom one but seeing it goes to some connector pads it's probably some kind of tranceiver. The vertical chip in between is the microcontroller, likely with integrated EEPROM data memory.

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

and get a higher quality one that I know has a basic reset function for next time.

Might want to take a look at buying e.g. Sonoff's devices and flashing them with Tasmota. Sonoff's devices are hardware-wise nice and clean and well-liked, and Tasmota is an open-source firmware that gives them a lot of extra functionality.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 hours ago, James Evens said:

If you still know the SSID and password setup a new network. Those chips likely just search for the SSID and try the password they have.

eWeLink is a strong indicator that this a Sonoff device so pressing the top right button multiple time in a timely manner after powering it up might reset it.

Tried it. No dice.

6 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Might want to take a look at buying e.g. Sonoff's devices and flashing them with Tasmota. Sonoff's devices are hardware-wise nice and clean and well-liked, and Tasmota is an open-source firmware that gives them a lot of extra functionality.

Yeah I ordered the 4 channel R2 Pro. It's more expensive but I noticed that there are alternate firmwares for it so I'm gonna give it a shot.

8 hours ago, Unimportant said:

The top horizontal IC (uln2003) is a transistor array. Can't read the bottom one but seeing it goes to some connector pads it's probably some kind of tranceiver. The vertical chip in between is the microcontroller, likely with integrated EEPROM data memory.

Tried that and no dice unfortunately. Not sure why. Maybe it was just its time...

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah I ordered the 4 channel R2 Pro. It's more expensive but I noticed that there are alternate firmwares for it so I'm gonna give it a shot

Lemme know if you need any help. I've got several of their products running Tasmota, connected to my Openhab2-server.

Not that it's particularly difficult to set them up, the instructions are rather clear.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Do we know what that unpopulated pin header is at the bottom? Maybe a UART or JTAG? You might be able to re-flash the chip with the right tool. 

ASU

Info dump:

More information would be appreciated.

"Basically its got a configuration loaded", how? was it working in the past, if so, what changed. Is it a new board?

Spoiler

You might have to replace the firmware. Stuff like this isn't really designed to be 'reset' (that I know of)

(I think your flash mem is hidden under that RF shield (attached module))

https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/1369

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/

http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/release/

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/913GN4wcU2L.pdf

( unconfirmed, different board? ) https://www.itead.cc/wiki/PSB_Smart_Switch_Module

If the goal is to hack it / make it better, go for it. As far as using it the way its meant to be used.... idk The instruction leave much to be desired. Hope ya figure it out, best of luck.

20 hours ago, LinusTech said:

That does appear to be basically the same controller. 

That is.... far more work than I'm willing to put into something that I spend $13 on. 

I will give it away to someone at the office and get a higher quality one that I know has a basic reset function for next time.. 

Or I might hold onto it for a fun project when I'm bored. Either way I need a much faster solution to getting my garage door working... 

Yeah... I don't blame you at all - I'd do the same, because based on information I'm reading onling about other SonoffTech devices, there may not be a "real" factory reset procedure, which kind of baffles my mind when it comes to designing a piece of electronics that takes a user configuration.

https://www.facebook.com/1194108247346790/posts/please-note-that-when-you-change-your-wifi-that-connects-with-your-sonoff-models/1489744724449806/\

https://support.itead.cc/support/discussions/topics/11000001238

https://support.itead.cc/support/discussions/topics/11000021502

https://smartlife.tech/blog/2016/08/14/sonoff-documentation/

Then again, we have professional companies over here with completely ridiculous factory reset procedures - and remember, GE is the same company that designs and builds nuclear power plants. I cannot imagine what their nuclear reactor emergency shutdown procedure is like. :D 

C bulb Factory Reset -- Regular Version

C bulb Factory Reset -- Extended Edition

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

What's the issue with your garage door ?

What are you trying to achieve ?

Also to be that guy, there can be safety issues with automatic control of doors and needing safety beams or similar and ideally having eyes on the door when closing. If you're going down that road.

Didn't you need some review samples for that upcoming home automation episode ? ;)

Edited by artuc