Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueScope819

My thoughts on the iPad Pro review

Posted · Original PosterOP

Before we get into this, this is all IMO, and this is the video I'm talking about:

You really should start treating it as a tablet, but as a laptop computer. This is taken right from Apples website:

"Your next computer is not a computer."

"It’s so fast most PC laptops can’t catch up."

I really think that you should take these claims at face value. Discussing the new features provide some interesting insight into what it can do, and how it is different, but because they are clearly treating it as a premium laptop (see above) you really should compare it as such. As you said, starting price of $1400 with the keyboard. So, compare it to a variety of $1400 or less laptops. Go through all the usual talking points, processor, processor benchmarks, display, build quality, keyboard, battery life, ports, expandability, repairability, etc.

If I were to write an abbreviated review it would go something like this:

The iPad Pro has the A12Z CPU. Here are some graphs of how it preforms relative to similarly priced laptops like the XPS 15, which has a i5-9300H.

... graphs ...

As for the display the iPad Pro has a 12.9 inch LED 2732x2048 resolution display with a peak brightness of 600 nits with touch support. The XPS 15 has a 15.6 inch OLED display with a resolution of 3840x2160. It has a peak brightness of 500 nits, with touch support.

... graphs to compare with other laptops ...

The build quality of the iPad pro is ... as compared to other laptops such as ... with keyboard deck flex ... however the screen could tilt up more ... other stuff about build quality.

The keyboard on the iPad pro is the scissor switch design with ... as compared to ...

The battery life on the iPad pro is ... because it has a 37.71 watt hour battery compared to the XPS 15 and ... which has a battery of 97 watt hours.

The iPad pro has two ports, one on the keyboard assembly for charging only, and a main USB C port that can handle ... (Did not see this at all in the review, just a bit about the display but no good info about really what it was capable of), compared to the XPS 15 having Thunderbolt 3, full size USB x2, an SD card slot, full size HDMI, and a headphone jack.

The iPad pro features no expandability, compared to ...

For repairability, the iPad pro ... and here is a teardown to see all the stuff inside and how it's soldered, etc, like iFixit.

Conclusion:

All in all the iPad pro has a processor that is ... as good as ... (other laptops), a decent display featuring touch, good build quality, ... battery life when idle and ... battery life when actually doing something, a limited operating system, almost no useable ports (Again, what can the USB C on the iPad actually do?) and no expandability and ... repairability. For the price, the value in what you are getting is ... .

Again, this is just my two cents but I really do think that it shouldn't just be treated as a tablet but as a full fledged laptop. This is what I think the result of some of those blank spaces would end up looking like. "Considering that the iPad pro uses a mobile processor with no fan, as you can see in this benchmark basically any other laptop that doesn't use an abacus destroys it in basically any workload that uses the CPU at all." "The battery life on the iPad pro is decent, but considering that it has a battery about 1/3 the size of most other premium laptops in its price range, if it's processor was preforming up to par the battery wouldn't last long." "The iPad pro has absolutely no real expandability or upgradability, and considering the tiny amount of storage you get from Apple, in order to kit this thing out with anything decent you are paying $100 more for 256GB of storage, which is absolutely not required when on similar premium laptops you can stick in a 1TB NVME M.2 SSD for around the same price." "All things considered, if you want to do anything that requires computing power beyond loading your email, buy a Chromebook, as that has a better CPU than the iPad pro."

Again, I really do think that we need to stop pretending that Apple can get away with this crap. They market it as a laptop replacement. They price it like a laptop replacement. So I really don't think it's too unreasonable to compare it to laptops.

Thank you for getting this far and please forgive the wall of text / rant. Have a nice day.

@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

I think my biggest gripe is that for most people really... the standard $350 iPad is the laptop replacement for the masses Apple was going for. If email, YouTube, and word processing is all people need from a computer these days, the base iPad is the best product to fit that bill. And with the ability to use the Apple pencil, it's the best notetaking companion for broke University students full stop. Shame that I went for a Galaxy Tab S5e instead (and slightly regrets doing so). 

So in the end really... for its target audience, the iPad Pro really is excess... for the sake of excess... I guess you can show it off but as far as I know, the novelty goes away really quickly. Especially when having anything with the Apple logo is enough to satisfy people. 

Spoiler

Logitech Combo Touch - Keyboard Case with Trackpad for iPad (7th ...

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I think my biggest gripe is that for most people really... the standard $350 iPad is the laptop replacement for the masses Apple was going for. If email, YouTube, and word processing is all people need from a computer these days, the base iPad is the best product to fit that bill. And with the ability to use the Apple pencil, it's the best notetaking companion for broke University students full stop. Shame that I went for a Galaxy Tab S5e instead (and slightly regrets doing so). 

So in the end really... for its target audience, the iPad Pro really is excess... for the sake of excess... I guess you can show it off but as far as I know, the novelty goes away really quickly. Especially when seeing the Apple logo is enough for most people. 

Reveal hidden contents

iPads are generally useless for taking notes at uni vs paper and pen. The Pro targets artists and people who want to use heavier programs on a tablet.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So in the end really... for its target audience, the iPad Pro really is excess... for the sake of excess... I guess you can show it off but as far as I know, the novelty goes away really quickly. Especially when seeing the Apple logo is enough for most people. 

Reveal hidden contents

I absolute agree with that, I think that it really makes a difference on the lower end, my entire gripe with this whole situation is when they try and call something that's $1400 "It’s so fast most PC laptops can’t catch up."

#MuricaParrotGang

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

iPads are generally useless for taking notes at uni vs paper and pen. The Pro targets artists and people who want to use heavier programs on a tablet.

What types of heavier programs need to be run on a tablet? Generally my opinion is that if you need computing power, it's not reasonable to expect it to be a tablet. Considering the size of this thing, and remember "It’s so fast most PC laptops can’t catch up.", it's clearly marketed as a laptop replacement. It's the same size, advertised use case, and price. So what can you do on an iPad that you can't do on any other laptop with a touch screen? What's the difference between the iPad Pro and a 2 in 1 laptop in your opinion?

#MuricaParrotGang

I'm certain I could build a mini ITX PC for 1400$ that is faster. hell an asus g14 is faster

I'll add more thoughts after I watch the video fully.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

iPads are generally useless for taking notes at uni vs paper and pen. 

Depends on the person. I did it for the first time last semester with my Tab S5e and it was actually great. Being able to change pen colours or highlight colours on the fly is amazing. I could then review my notes on transit without having to fumble with a binder full of paper. Before that, I was the type of person who always printed out the slide decks and took notes by hand. It might be my area, but at my institution, there are a lot of people using Surface Pros and iPads to take notes in class. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It might be my area, but at my institution, there are a lot of people using Surface Pros and iPads to take notes in class. 

nope it is everywhere both at my school and my GF people do it on ipads and such

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

13 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm certain I could build a mini ITX PC for 1400$ that is faster. hell an asus g14 is faster

At this point it's not even about building a mini ITX PC. I'm pretty sure a Ryzen 3000G APU would be way faster. What we are really discussing here is how terrible it is performance wise compared to a laptop, which really irks me because it's advertised as a laptop for a laptop sized price.

#MuricaParrotGang

25 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

iPads are generally useless for taking notes at uni vs paper and pen.

dude please 🤣

I am using only an 12.9 Iprad pro for university and it is way better for note taking and homework. I even print out my homework for classes that require paper.

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I even print out my homework for classes that require paper.

Huh????

20 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

And it would be running x86 you know... Not ARM 

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

@TofuHaroto so I can see your post 

I seek to max the letter count on every ... Single ... Site 

only the bravest are capable of such mission

Spoiler

Hi

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

And it would be running x86 you know... Not ARM 

Is the argument really that professional workloads require an ARM based system to run on? Basically everything is cross platform.

#MuricaParrotGang

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Is the argument really that professional workloads require an ARM based system to run on? Basically everything is cross platform.

Yea I agree but x86 at least from what I have seen is way more mature and has wider apps to choose from plus x86 based systems got to the point where they are close to being as efficient as an arm based machine like an iPad and usually are as thin and as portable 

My favorite case is the mechify c and it is the best case and if you say otherwise you're lying 

Spoiler

Hi

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Yea I agree but x86 at least from what I have seen is way more mature and has wider apps to choose from plus x86 based systems got to the point where they are close to being as efficient as an arm based machine like an iPad and usually are as thin and as portable 

I agree. I'm wondering how devs will handle going from creating MacOS applications for ARM and then moving to x86 for Apples new laptops. It seems to me like they are using iPad Pro as a testing ground for software for their new laptops.

#MuricaParrotGang

59 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

It seems to me like they are using iPad Pro as a testing ground for software for their new laptops.

Don't give their secrets away!

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

nope it is everywhere both at my school and my GF people do it on ipads and such

Anyone use Chromebooks? Depending on how much money people have to spend on a school machine, Chromebooks or 2 in 1s are pretty attractive.

#MuricaParrotGang

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Anyone use Chromebooks? Depending on how much money people have to spend on a school machine, Chromebooks or 2 in 1s are pretty attractive.

highschools and below have thousands of chromebooks at my old school district but I never saw any kids own one.

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If email, YouTube, and word processing is all people need from a computer these days, the base iPad is the best product to fit that bill. And with the ability to use the Apple pencil, it's the best notetaking companion for broke University students full stop.

Literally if I wasn’t taking programming courses, my $329 iPad would be make my MacBook stay at home. It can do anything else that I would use my MacBook for and it can do it more conveniently unless I’m typing for long periods since I don’t have a keyboard cover. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm certain I could build a mini ITX PC for 1400$ that is faster

That’s not the point though. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Literally if I wasn’t taking programming courses, my $329 iPad would be make my MacBook stay at home. It can do anything else that I would use my MacBook for and it can do it more conveniently unless I’m typing for long periods since I don’t have a keyboard cover. 

For me, even if I'm programming, I might be able to get past using only an iPad. I can remote into the department's Windows Terminal Server using the Remote Desktop Client or SSH into the Linux server using something like Termius. Granted, neither would give me the elevated rights I might need from time to time. But for the most part it should be fine. 

8 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Depends on the person. I did it for the first time last semester with my Tab S5e and it was actually great. Being able to change pen colours or highlight colours on the fly is amazing. I could then review my notes on transit without having to fumble with a binder full of paper. Before that, I was the type of person who always printed out the slide decks and took notes by hand. It might be my area, but at my institution, there are a lot of people using Surface Pros and iPads to take notes in class. 

I would not have been able to write fast enough or have time to change colours for anything when taking notes. Sometimes wrote 5 pages in a lecture. There were plenty of MacBooks in the first year and most of them were gone 6 months in. Just typed mine up back in halls.

8 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

dude please 🤣

I am using only an 12.9 Iprad pro for university and it is way better for note taking and homework. I even print out my homework for classes that require paper.

What degree? I had to write extremely fast when I was there and it would not have been doable on a tablet.

What uni gives bloody homework? Generally you have coursework which are generally essays or writing projects and self study from books to fill out your knowledge on a topic. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

What degree? I had to write extremely fast when I was there and it would not have been doable on a tablet.

computer science

Generally you have coursework which are generally essays or writing projects and self study from books to fill out your knowledge on a topic. 

I have only written Essays and writing projects in my English classes.

What uni gives bloody homework?

Most classes hand out an exercise sheet each week. It is strongly reommended that you do it as exam questions are often similar and some even give addition points for the exam. The exercises can be calculations, programming exercises, theoretical questions, and so on but never essays and writing projects.

9 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

I agree. I'm wondering how devs will handle going from creating MacOS applications for ARM and then moving to x86 for Apples new laptops. It seems to me like they are using iPad Pro as a testing ground for software for their new laptops.

It's probably like you said they are testing ARM with their software using iPads 

But what I don't understand is why is apple trying to say the iPad is a laptop replacement when they already have a laptop lineup 

Like it is clearly obvious they won't and can't compete with other laptops because of the OS difference so who are they targeting people who already use MacBooks ? It just doesn't make sense to me 

Spoiler

Hi