Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vEryk

Can i plug in a ssd to new pc

Posted · Original PosterOP

will it work by plugging in a ssd with windows 10 already installed on it and other files to a brand new pc without any problems?

Just now, vEryk said:

Honestly I always fresh install my machines as windows will still have drivers from the old machine.

PC - i7 9700K @5 Ghz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER | NZXT Kraken x53 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | 32GB TridentZ RGB | Case & PSU // NZXT H510 Elite & EVGA 750W

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Posted · Original PosterOP

fair enough but i sold my old pc and i’m upgrading and i have no other method to refresh my ssd 

It can often work but it's not guaranteed. Best practice is to do a fresh install especially with any big platform changes. 

FYI, you should use the Quote button on posts you're responding to as opposed to placing your own reply in a quote.

Moved to Windows. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, vEryk said:

so i will have to buy a new ssd 

No, you can use the one you have.

You can just plug it in and deal with the driver replacement, potential re-activation, etc., or you could install the OS from scratch on that same SSD. Either way you use the same SSD, not a new one.