Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jevargaskid

Bent/Cracked PCB - Intel Core i7-6800K SkyLake Processor

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, just got my computer back from the shop for maintenance and after setting it up in my house. I wonder why my motherboard is lighting up but wont POST, so i tried to troubleshoot like removing the rams and checked everything until then when i removed the heatsink of the processor after opening the tray i tried to remove it  but its like hard to remove until then when i removed successfully the processor i noticed lately the pcb of the processor has a little crack bent on the corners, so i figured this was install incorrectly by the shop technitian. 

 

Can we still fix this? What to do?

 

 

Pictures are attached. 

IMG_20200527_022310.jpg

IMG_20200527_022216.jpg

IMG_20200527_022143.jpg

IMG_20200527_022108.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jevargaskid said:

-snip-

That's really bad... Yea I don't think you can repair that. At least... not for less than what that processor costs... I'm surprised the shop didn't have the system running before you showed up. 


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP. Unless that crack didn't break any connections, then RIP


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3200 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G502 Hero
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

 

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely done for. you can try the CPU in another X99 system known to work, but I doubt it will work again.


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like a "sell your x99 board and buy something new" situation. Intel sockets need a good amount of pressure to make contact, so even if the traces are intact, any flex in the PCB will cause problems.

 

(pedant here, 6800k is Broadwell-E not Skylake because Intel's naming is drunk)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny story but i've done that before. Might as well give it a shot in known working party and see what happens. 


PC - i7 9700K @5 Ghz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER | NZXT Kraken x53 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | 32GB TridentZ RGB | Case & PSU // NZXT H510 Elite & EVGA 750W

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That's really bad... Yea I don't think you can repair that. At least... not for less than what that processor costs... I'm surprised the shop didn't have the system running before you showed up. 

Yeah, i was just too exited and in a hurry to setup my computer in my house, wished i could've let them test it before i claiming it and go home, but this shop here at our place is not really a licensed repair/retail computer shop, it's sort of to be called a "a friend and a computer geek guy's shop" rofl. So i just let him did all the work coz he loves computers and stuff and i frust him, but it's this his "apprentice tech repair service guy" did all work what i offered my friend a favor. Big bad luck pshhhh. 🤦🏻‍♂️😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jevargaskid said:

Yeah, i was just too exited and in a hurry to setup my computer in my house, wished i could've let them test it before i claiming it and go home, but this shop here at our place is not really a licensed repair/retail computer shop, it's sort of to be called a "a friend and a computer geek guy's shop" rofl. So i just let him did all the work coz he loves computers and stuff and i frust him, but it's this his "apprentice tech repair service guy" did all work what i offered my friend a favor. Big bad luck pshhhh. 🤦🏻‍♂️😭

Guess that shop has one less friend now. 


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, MartinKweh said:

RIP. Unless that crack didn't break any connections, then RIP

 

1 hour ago, Grabhanem said:

That looks like a "sell your x99 board and buy something new" situation. Intel sockets need a good amount of pressure to make contact, so even if the traces are intact, any flex in the PCB will cause problems.

 

(pedant here, 6800k is Broadwell-E not Skylake because Intel's naming is drunk)

Yeah man, wooh. Just got bad bad bad luck. Now im gonna save money for another build again, tssk. I saved money for that build, it was my dream piece. It took me f*ckin 3 years for saving money on that rig. Im just a student. And lived in a poor country phil's. Pheew 😪😅

 

And by the way thanks for the info about Broadwell-E 😊👌🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, TylerDurden! said:

never seen a sawtooth thumbnail before

Hahaha, rofl. It really is a sawtooth thumbnail. 🤣

Just makin fun out of myself cutting my nails, and for our province here in the philippines we're going through under community quarantine. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Funny story but i've done that before. Might as well give it a shot in known working party and see what happens. 

So you're suggesting that I'll try it with other compatible motherboards? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jevargaskid said:

So you're suggesting that I'll try it with other compatible motherboards? 

Probably just one. Your's looks slightly more fucked then mine. But the fan, in the right orientation, should push that corner down enough. It can make contact but still be toast...


PC - i7 9700K @5 Ghz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER | NZXT Kraken x53 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E | 32GB TridentZ RGB | Case & PSU // NZXT H510 Elite & EVGA 750W

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Probably just one. Your's looks slightly more fucked then mine. But the fan, in the right orientation, should push that corner down enough. It can make contact but still be toast...

Ok, now i get it. I might give it a try first thing tomorrow. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jevargaskid said:

 

Yeah man, wooh. Just got bad bad bad luck. Now im gonna save money for another build again, tssk. I saved money for that build, it was my dream piece. It took me f*ckin 3 years for saving money on that rig. Im just a student. And lived in a poor country phil's. Pheew 😪😅

 

And by the way thanks for the info about Broadwell-E 😊👌🏻

Hey, im from the Philippines too. Do you live in Manila or near it? If you do, you might just get a used cpu from either Gilmore, or in our case, shopee, lazada or facebook market place. 


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3200 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G502 Hero
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

 

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×