Ryzen 3900X High Idle

Hello all,

I am having some issues with my newly built mini ITX Rig (D-ATX). Im not sure if this is a CPU settings issue or some kind of cooling problem but decided to post in CPU.

I just built the machine and it is my first ever small form factor build. Here are the specs:

Here are the full build specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60

MoBo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact X570

GPU: NVIDIA RTX2080 Super

RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 LPX 3600

Storage: 500GB Corsair MP600 SSD

Case: SUGO SG13B MINI-ITX

My issue is that on idle my CPU jumps between 44 and 54 degrees, each time it jumps the fan spins up then back down. I stress the word jumps as it does not steadily climb it is a straight number switch. It worries me both that the idle is so high and that the temp is jumping around. 

I ran a Prime95 stress test set for max heat and the CPU topped out at 67 which seems like a good number on load so really not getting why it is idling so high. Can anyone help out? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero| RAM: 2x16GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE | PSU: Corsair RM1000x | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition | SSD: Corsair MP600 500GB PCI-E Gen 4 | Custom Water Cooled | Monitor: x3 Razer Raptor

Just now, Mark-McG said:

-snip-

45 idle seems normal to be. Remember, just because you're not doing anything to the computer doesn't mean Windows or any of your other background processes aren't doing something. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It is amaze me for h60 aio to keep the 3900x cool consider h60 aio is bad.

26 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

45 idle seems normal to be. Remember, just because you're not doing anything to the computer doesn't mean Windows or any of your other background processes aren't doing something. 

Ah okay, Reason I was concerened was that watching a youtube video by Jayztwocents he seemed to suggest that 40 was high?

26 minutes ago, AshRiver said:

It is amaze me for h60 aio to keep the 3900x cool consider h60 aio is bad.

I didnt realise the H60 wwas considered a bad cooler, is there a better 120mm AiO you can reccomend? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero| RAM: 2x16GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE | PSU: Corsair RM1000x | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Edition | SSD: Corsair MP600 500GB PCI-E Gen 4 | Custom Water Cooled | Monitor: x3 Razer Raptor

Just now, Mark-McG said:

Ah okay, Reason I was concerened was that watching a youtube video by Jayztwocents he seemed to suggest that 40 was high?

I didnt realise the H60 wwas considered a bad cooler, is there a better 120mm AiO you can reccomend? 

h60 performance is bad but if your h60 is working fine the way you want then I don't think you will going to replace it if something is not broken. 3900x is a beast cpu with 105watts tdp(can easily sip up to 150 watts in power consumption). h80i is what I recommend. Thick rad 120mm performs identical to 240mm aio. 

1 hour ago, Mark-McG said:

MoBo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact X570

Nice.

1 hour ago, Mark-McG said:

My issue is that on idle my CPU jumps between 44 and 54 degrees, each time it jumps the fan spins up then back down. I stress the word jumps as it does not steadily climb it is a straight number switch. It worries me both that the idle is so high and that the temp is jumping around.

Nothing wrong with those idle numbers. Entirely normal for it to spike up and down.

Configuring a fan curve pretty much ended to fan spiking though on my Dark Rock Pro 4.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, AshRiver said:

h60 performance is bad but if your h60 is working fine the way you want then I don't think you will going to replace it if something is not broken. 3900x is a beast cpu with 105watts tdp(can easily sip up to 150 watts in power consumption). h80i is what I recommend. Thick rad 120mm performs identical to 240mm aio. 

I will pick up an H80i, I wanted this to be a pretty no compromise build so want cooling performance to be excellent for its size. Dissapointed I didnt realise before?

38 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Nice.

Nothing wrong with those idle numbers. Entirely normal for it to spike up and down.

Configuring a fan curve pretty much ended to fan spiking though on my Dark Rock Pro 4.

Thanks for this :) Could you explain how I can setup a fan curve as at the moment my fan is continually spinning up and down and its rather annoying!

4 minutes ago, Mark-McG said:

Thanks for this :) Could you explain how I can setup a fan curve as at the moment my fan is continually spinning up and down and its rather annoying!

We've got the same board.

You can either use Ai Suite in Windows (plug your fans into the fan headers on your motherboard to use this option) or my preferred method of using the fan tuning option in the BIOS. Corsair Link on the H80i should have an option as well.

I'd recommend the Ai Suite utility though if you prefer the GUI approach. Much nicer to understand.

Ai Suite fan tuning

Spoiler

https://i.gyazo.com/2f96a2a17b3ad78170ee497ba276b8b2.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

We've got the same board.

You can either use Ai Suite in Windows (plug your fans into the fan headers on your motherboard to use this option) or my preferred method of using the fan tuning option in the BIOS. Corsair Link on the H80i should have an option as well.

I'd recommend the Ai Suite utility though if you prefer the GUI approach. Much nicer to understand.

Ai Suite fan tuning

Hide contents

https://i.gyazo.com/2f96a2a17b3ad78170ee497ba276b8b2.png

Thanks a lot for this! Will try the GUI first as I had a look at the bios but was a bit confused. If the GUI doesnt get the results Im after I will try and research bios a bit more.

Thats cool we have the same board, This is by far the most expensive board Ive ever bought but Im hoping I can use it for a long time. Did you change your CPU voltage settings similar to this video from Jayztwocents?