F@H Web Client Dark Skin with PPD comparison by GPU / WU

Go to solution Solved by LAR_Systems,

HI everyone,  Quick update. 

There was some server updates today to deal with server resource issues so sorry if you  were impacted by some strangeness like WU averages etc. being a little strange while this occurred.

In addition to the cleanup you will now find that for GPU projects the Atoms and Cause is reported on the slots.

Atoms and Cause coming to CPU slots soon.

image.png.96a2a24471ee3392c37e18b8310adc99.png

The PPD indicator has been updated so there is a +/- 10% tolerance for the red or green indicators coming on for when you GPU slot is operating within this "Average" range making it a more useful indication as to when PPD is out of the ordinary.

Project pages on the database site have been updated to show the Atoms, Core and project branch status of projects.

image.png.d3fcd4c830ec61537d13dc93b7450eae.png

And CPU based project pages (link found in the CPU slots in the web client) now contain the BETA charts for PPD-PLC (PPD per logical processor) as that system builds data and is under review.

image.thumb.png.03ed6ca321e14602de92ef37145c6c2c.png

These client based updates will trickle in to the wild over the next couple hours and take effect with a refresh of the page when they do.

1 hour ago, Favebook said:

even though it says "Stats are disabled to avoid extra API call strain on F@H systems when running in always on (no sleep) mode.
Stats are still recorded normally." I am still getting same API calls in same interval (1.5 seconds as recorded by F@H Advanced Client).

It means the requests to F@H's servers for point total count, not local requests to your client for status which don't matter.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It means the requests to F@H's servers for point total count, not local requests to your client for status which don't matter.

Could be....

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Nice, 1.0.7 works great! Kinda looks like nothing is happening without the animated gif, but... PPD :P

Is there a way to force the extension to load for a remote machine?

I have a 2nd machine folding and typically have a window for the web control open for it as well on my main one (accessing by ip, http://192.168.0.31:7396/) but the extension doesn't load for that :( 

Accessing the other IP on the network is not possible as the Chrome extension security sandbox will not allow it.

There is a down the road goal of mine to build a version of the client that uses your user ID and API key to authenticate the client... then have it send the local machines info to my server and share it across all your open client browsers.

This requires a complete redesign of the F@H user interface making it more like the advanced client running in a browser, so not going there just yet.   Also not sure of the public interest in that (feel free poll) as it would mean your info propagating via my servers back to your systems in a "identifying" way vs the current anonymous way.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

5 hours ago, Favebook said:

@LAR_Systems

Not sure how 1.0.7 looks for others, but I gotta ask a few questions.

Is it only me or is everyone seeing green line above image (was GIF previously), check the image:

TROUBLESHOOT.thumb.PNG.18943bdfb5ee627164e4188317ec5d80.PNG

Also, I got used to clicking "Enable No Sleep Mode" down below where it says "Extension Modes" but since it updated, when I click it, it just pops me a new tab which seems to have No Sleep Mode enabled (check upper right corner of your extension, it says: "Disable No Sleep Mode" which in addition to URL (chrome-extension://alpjkkbjnbkddolgnicglknicbgfahoe/fah_custom.html?nofade=true) indicates that it is working correctly) but the button below still says "Enable No Sleep Mode" as if it is disabled.

Not sure why it's rendering different for you, but the green would be the old status box showing for some reason... might be screen scaling or something else I can't replicate so currently patching the background out completely in the LTT version.

The no sleep mode thing is a bug... a new one... recoding that now to not refresh the screen on state change and just change the state directly in the same browser to remove all weird navigation issues caused by the base clients use of frames etc.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

39 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Could be....

39 minutes ago, Favebook said:
  59 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

@Kilrah has it spot on.

The client when in no sleep mode does not communicate with the external F@H server APIs on their website as they are not expecting the client to be making that call to their systems all day and night for each user.

The calls you're seeing every few seconds is the local client call to the service running on your folding machines which is just how the F@H client works to get the current running GPUs and their PPD production values.

39 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Accessing the other IP on the network is not possible as the Chrome extension security sandbox will not allow it.

I thought the page was normally loaded from the client, then cosmetically altered locally?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

57 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I thought the page was normally loaded from the client, then cosmetically altered locally?

It was in one of previous versions AFAIK, but it changed now. It pops a new tab every time (including when you change sleep mode setting).

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Browser extensions run in a JS/HTML sandbox and have to pre-define the IP / domains that they are allow to work on in the permissions.

In the case of this one it runs on client.foldingathome.org and localhost http://127.0.0.1   your other local network IP does not match the pattern for authorized URLs so the extension does not load.

The first domain is to know when most people have opened the web client address, apply styles and JS.

The second is to communicate with the local F@H iframe and their API system that is running the F@H service, authenticate with it like the default web client does on the localhost IP http://127.0.0.1.

What you're trying to do is open another one over the network which is not a pre-definable domain/ip permission case for the extension, so you get whatever defaults load from the local F@H service on that box.

I'm currently in the process of trying to build the extension for Firefox, they adhere to even sticker rules which does not allow HTTP access to localhost 127.0.0.1 or other local network IPs (only HTTPS) which is what the F@H local service runs on and is currently used by the chrome version.   

So the rebuild will be more JQuery to manipulate the client in place, scrape information from the GUI hence the longer term plan for my own separate cloud API communication network that would could share a users information it across different systems running their client and user ID as direct access across private LAN / WAN does not work for most cases and at all cross browser.

The other benefit of the cloud based approach is that it could allow remote (out of home, mobile etc) monitoring of systems and possibly even sending commands like fold / stop etc. to remote boxes.

33 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

scrape information from the GUI

Yeah that's what I thought you were already doing.

33 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Browser extensions run in a JS/HTML sandbox and have to pre-define the IP / domains that they are allow to work on in the permissions.

But an extension can request "any site", no? And there seems to be a way to manually add some depending on how the extension declared what it wanted since the Chrome help pages explains how to add / remove site permissions:

https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/answer/2664769?hl=en

Add or remove access to a specific site

1. On your computer, open Chrome Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More and then More tools and then Extensions.
  3. On the extension, click Details.
  4. Under “Permissions,” add or remove a site:
    • Add: To the right of “Allowed sites,” click Add.
    • If you don’t see this option, change “Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites you visit” to On specific sites.
    • Remove: To the right of the site, tap More More and thenRemove.

Your extension however does not allow changing that. Maybe it could be changed to allow users to add some?

F@H

GPD Win 2

39 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yeah that's what I thought you were already doing.

But an extension can request "any site", no? And there seems to be a way to manually add some depending on how the extension declared what it wanted since the Chrome help pages explains how to add / remove site permissions:

https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/answer/2664769?hl=en

Your extension however does not allow changing that. Maybe it could be changed to allow users to add some?

You have to have a reason to request permissions when publishing with Google.  Google has rejected any site access for this plugin as it's use is singular for the folding at home client, also again what you're trying to do is not a general use case for the client and users and would open a security issue that is real or implied as most people do not want a browser extension installed that has access to every site including local IPs and port on their network that JavaScript can interface with.

What you're looking to do is why chrome supports running unverified or private extensions that can do weird and wonderful non best practice things directly from developer mode that you could make in your own plugin that does not need Google review.   

I'm trying to make a plug-in that plays by the rules so that users have confidence that the extension is only doing what they expect it to, on the computer they are running it on directly and it's not probing all over their network while supporting the 99.9% use case of a general user.

OK, makes sense. 

Yeah, I've just been playing with editing the extension and loading it in dev mode and can access the remote with no issue. However having it for both would need quite some work since a lot is hardcoded to 127.0.0.1. Might have another look in the future.

F@H

GPD Win 2

I just want to add that I for the first time in my life I prefer using the web interface other advanced client for monitoring the local machine.

that, is a big praise for what you have created here!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

18 hours ago, Favebook said:

Is it only me or is everyone seeing green line above image (was GIF previously)

Green line seems to only be visible on Ultra-wide monitors and not on normal ones. Acer Predator X34 has upper green line and I forgot which monitor is it but I know that it is curved and considered Ultra-wide and it has left and upper green line.

Benq Zowie XL2546 does not have any green lines (it's on same system as Acer Predator X34) and some random old monitor 1080p does not have any green lines

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

11 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I just want to add that I for the first time in my life I prefer using the web interface other advanced client for monitoring the local machine.

that, is a big praise for what you have created here!

Thanks, I really do appreciate that.

I feel like it's cruel for people to have to look at default one... it's brutal.

4 minutes ago, Scarfy said:

@LAR_Systems  Is it ok to use the extension on a gcp server with a Tesla V100 ? Will it gather accurate data ?

It should and I speak for the community when I say it would be amazing to see data for these GPUs across different work units to compare with consumer cards most of us are running.

Also don't forget to put it in "No sleep" mode so it keeps collecting as long as you leave the session open on the server.

9 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

It should and I speak for the community when I say it would be amazing to see data for these GPUs across different work units to compare with consumer cards most of us are running.

Also don't forget to put it in "No sleep" mode so it keeps collecting as long as you leave the session open on the server.

Great , i will try to keep the machine active for the duration of the event, that should give enough WU data.

tesla v100.PNG

47 minutes ago, Scarfy said:

Great , i will try to keep the machine active for the duration of the event, that should give enough WU data.

tesla v100.PNG

That's amazing, really appreciate it!

48 minutes ago, Scarfy said:

tesla v100.PNG

Annnnnnd the Tesla has taken number 1 on the GPU ranks lol!
https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall

Capture.thumb.JPG.fa3440b4ba96bee9f620452a8747a82a.JPG

Hey man, little thing right here, but the percentage is almost unreadable at the start of the WU

image.png.208aefabd9aa8cdd5505c39bc7945385.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The latest version v1.0.8 has been published to the extension store.

This hopefully addresses the issue with new window spawning on entering no sleep and the green line on wide monitors.

After looking for alternatives a CSS only method has been used to "animate" the folding icon indicator to help newer folders see at a glance if their machines is running (also important for users with slower cards that the % number does not move much).   The new method has been tested to use 0% to 1% of the 3D mode when running making it hard to distinguish from just normal OS / Browser overhead at idle.

For those of us that want every single point per day I have also added a "Enable/Disable Animations" toggle to the footer modes list.   This will remove the CSS toggle and just display a static graphic.   In the future this will likely become a "low power mode" If I find other parts of the default client that can be trimmed down to lower system overhead while folding.

Have a look, and please let me know if your issue cases are resolved with the build. 

RELEASE NOTES:

Version 1.0.8 – Beta Updates & Patches
---------------------------------------------

Update – LTT Skin return of optimized animated GIFs alternative based on CSS toggles to reduce browser 3D rendering overhead allocating more GPU resources for folding.

Update - LTT Skin option to disable animation in extension modes

Update - No sleep mode no longer forces page reload, updates current window in place.

Fix - Green border around folding icon / animation, CSS values changes to suppress, should fix most instances of users with screen scaling.

Fixes bugs reported by: @GOTSpectrum @Kilrah @Favebook

Looks perfect to me. For me the animation has 0 impact on resources use now. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

Version 1.0.8 looks GREAT! 

No more green lines (on any monitor);

I like gif with "disable animation" button;

But I have a question/complain about no sleep mode now.

When I go to default link (https://client.foldingathome.org/) it instantly shows everything and no pop-up tabs anymore (quite nice), however, when I enable or disable no sleep mode, URL doesn't change (it doesn't show url as extension anymore and there is no "?nofade=true" on the end if sleep mode is enabled) like it used to (not a big problem, but I'd at least like a 0.5 - 1 sec pop-up to tell me it actually changed. I can see that USER STATS DISPLAY disappears when I enable it, but I feel like that is not enough as I wasn't really sure if no sleep mode even worked until I left it for an hour or two to actually see if it works.

This is just my opinion and feel free to ignore it as I like 1.0.8 a lot anyway.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

40 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Version 1.0.8 looks GREAT! 

No more green lines (on any monitor);

I like gif with "disable animation" button;

But I have a question/complain about no sleep mode now.

When I go to default link (https://client.foldingathome.org/) it instantly shows everything and no pop-up tabs anymore (quite nice), however, when I enable or disable no sleep mode, URL doesn't change (it doesn't show url as extension anymore and there is no "?nofade=true" on the end if sleep mode is enabled) like it used to (not a big problem, but I'd at least like a 0.5 - 1 sec pop-up to tell me it actually changed. I can see that USER STATS DISPLAY disappears when I enable it, but I feel like that is not enough as I wasn't really sure if no sleep mode even worked until I left it for an hour or two to actually see if it works.

This is just my opinion and feel free to ignore it as I like 1.0.8 a lot anyway.

When you click on no sleep mode in the footer the stats should go away then display the message below to let you know you are in no sleep mode is this not showing up?   

Wanted to make it a seamless toggle so you quickly disable no sleep, take a peek at your stats and click the link again to re-enable without the page loads etc.

image.png.b13976cca4ab2fd49a1959ea1e7e95f9.png