Phone Recommendations

TEHDARKSIDE

Hey, so currently I'm looking for an upgrade to my now ageing OnePlus 3, I've been out of the smartphone game for while so the new stuff is kinda alien to me and I'm not sure of what I should pick up. 

Preferably I want to stick to android and I have a budget of around £1000ish, I don't tend to upgrade every year so I don't mind spending a little more for longevity. I also honestly do not  really care about camera specs but I want something that is fairly quick, Preferably a headphone jack would be nice, (I know it's a rare occurrence these days but using dongles seems like a nightmare when trying to use semi decent wired headphones as that is another thing I to remember to take with me,unless I get a Bluetooth amp which still isn't ideal as again it's just another thing I have to remember to charge), In addition decent battery life would be a plus as well as a near stock android experience like OxygenOS.  

But in terms of features that's honestly really it, any help is greatly appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Preferably a headphone jack would be nice

Come to TehDarkSide...

Blackberry KeyOne

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Hey, so currently I'm looking for an upgrade to me now ageing OnePlus 3, I've been out of the smartphone game for while so the new stuff is kinda alien to me and I'm not sure of what I should pick up. 

Preferably I want to stick to android and I have a budget of around £1000ish, I don't tend to upgrade every year so I don't mind spending a little more for longevity. I also honestly do not  really care about camera specs but I want something that is fairly quick, Preferably a headphone jack would be nice, (I know it's a rare occurrence these days but using dongles seems like a nightmare when trying to use semi decent wired headphones as that is another thing I to remember to take with me,unless I get a Bluetooth amp which still isn't ideal as again it's just another thing I have to remember to charge), In addition decent battery life would be a plus as well as a near stock android experience like OxygenOS.  

But in terms of features that's honestly really it, any help is greatly appreciated. 

Near stock and a headphone jack might be tricky, unfortunately.

Given that you like OxygenOS, I'd probably steer you toward a OnePlus 8 series phone.  Preferably the Pro, but the 8 is more than fine if you're not too picky about screen resolution or the camera.  Just be sure to budget in a USB-C headphone adapter (I'd get the official OnePlus option to be safe) -- you can always leave that attached to your preferred headphones if you don't switch them to other devices very often.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Motorola Edge

• SD756G
  • 1080p OLED 90Hz
  • Under display optical fingerprint
  • 128GB internal storage, expandable
  • Headphone jack, stereo speakers
  • 4,500mAh battery

Motorola Edge+

• SD865
  • 1080p OLED 90Hz
  • 12GB RAM, 256GB internal storage, not expandable. Only one configuration
  • 5,000mAh battery
  • Wireless and reverse wireless charging

Both are splash resistant, Android 10 out of the box, 5G capable

I'd pass on those myself.  They're good in numerous ways, but that waterfall display might drive you up the wall even with the mitigations for accidental input.

Just now, huilun02 said:

I have a OP7P myself. No mitigations. No problems in usage

It's also not nearly as sharply curved as on the Edge series.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, huilun02 said:

Motorola Edge

• SD756G
  • 1080p OLED 90Hz
  • 128GB internal storage, expandable
  • 4,500mAh battery

Motorola Edge+

• SD865
  • 1080p OLED 90Hz
  • 12GB RAM, 256GB internal storage, not expandable. Only one configuration
  • 5,000mAh battery
  • Wireless and reverse wireless charging

Both are splash resistant, Android 10 out of the box, 5G capable

They have also only been promised one major update, bit of a deal breaker if you're looking for longevity imo.

OP I'd probably recommend something like the OnePlus 8 series. No headphone jack but it would tick every other box that you mentioned, and most importantly oneplus are usually one of the best when it comes to updates

16 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

They have also only been promised one major update, bit of a deal breaker if you're looking for longevity imo.

Functionality doesn't go down if you can't update to android 12 imo.

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

Functionality doesn't go down if you can't update to android 12 imo.

But if you're paying that much for a phone surely you want better software support than that? Especially when the competition already offer it

41 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

But if you're paying that much for a phone surely you want better software support than that? Especially when the competition already offer it

Yeah i too think so. But what i was saying is that no updates might be better than no headphone jack.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:59 PM, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Hey, so currently I'm looking for an upgrade to my now ageing OnePlus 3, I've been out of the smartphone game for while so the new stuff is kinda alien to me and I'm not sure of what I should pick up. 

OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro really seems like your best option here, although they don't have headphones jacks. Alternatively, the pixel 4a should have a headphone jack when it's released, but it's more of a budget phone and will probably be only about £400. There's also the new Sony Xperia 1 ii which has a headphone jack, but its a bit pricey, and Sony's phones haven't exactly been the best recently, although this one is rumoured to be better.

All these suggestions should give a near stock android experience and the OnePlus and pixel should have great long term software support.

Imo with your budget, the OnePlus makes most sense if you can live that dongle life.

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

On 5/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, Radioactive Snowman said:

OP I'd probably recommend something like the OnePlus 8 series. No headphone jack but it would tick every other box that you mentioned, and most importantly oneplus are usually one of the best when it comes to updates

To be fair if you want longevity you shouldn’t be buying android. 

Oneplus are great if you don’t care about the camera

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

19 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

To be fair if you want longevity you shouldn’t be buying android. 

Oneplus are great if you don’t care about the camera

This^^

iPhone 11. It's amazing. Fastest SoC in a phone, top tier camera, great battery life, and great software. My Xr gets around 9 hours of SoT

On 5/31/2020 at 5:51 PM, Daniel Z. said:

iPhone 11. It's amazing. Fastest SoC in a phone, top tier camera, great battery life, and great software. My Xr gets around 9 hours of SoT

My brother has one and its a great phone but I've never been an apple guy, I love androids customisation too much and not having to conform to apples styling standards and the only way to achieve this would be jailbreaking the phone. Besides I'm already invested in the Google eco system. 

On 5/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, marmour said:

OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro really seems like your best option here, although they don't have headphones jacks. Alternatively, the pixel 4a should have a headphone jack when it's released, but it's more of a budget phone and will probably be only about £400. There's also the new Sony Xperia 1 ii which has a headphone jack, but its a bit pricey, and Sony's phones haven't exactly been the best recently, although this one is rumoured to be better.

All these suggestions should give a near stock android experience and the OnePlus and pixel should have great long term software support.

Imo with your budget, the OnePlus makes most sense if you can live that dongle life.

See I wouldn't mind the dongle life but having to choose between charging and listening to stuff when traveling I can see being a major pain. The only way I can see getting around this would be either a separate pair of headphones that I use while the phone is charging or a bluetooth amp/dac. 

The Xperia 1 ii is looking really good and is pretty much perfect but it's as much as I spent on my desktop which is not ideal. 

2 hours ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

See I wouldn't mind the dongle life but having to choose between charging and listening to stuff when traveling I can see being a major pain. The only way I can see getting around this would be either a separate pair of headphones that I use while the phone is charging or a bluetooth amp/dac. 

The Xperia 1 ii is looking really good and is pretty much perfect but it's as much as I spent on my desktop which is not ideal. 

You might get an adapter that has a passthrough.  Mind you, in practice I haven't had many instances where I was listening to music and still needed to charge.

With your budget, a OnePlus 8 Pro might do the job.  The main camera is the only one that's truly flagship-class at the moment, but it's a good phone all around from everything I've seen.

3 hours ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

My bother has one and its a great phone but I've never been an apple guy, I love androids customization too much and not having to conform to apples styling standards and the only way to achieve this would be jailbreaking the phone. Besides I'm already invested in the Google eco system. 

That’s fair. Well I’d strongly consider the Oneplus 8 or 8 Pro, also the S20. Pixel 4 is ok if you like photos but the rest of the phone is too flawed for me to recommend for everyone.