Did any of you upgrade from a 6600k to a 3600?

If you did, was it worth it? Did it significantly increase your performance?

I am thinking of buying a 3600 but I am still unsure. Intel is no option because it's not worth it in the EU. 

I would greatly appreciate any and all answers to my questions.

Thank you in advance!

For what? For games? Not really.

But if you're working with very demanding applications that needs cpu power - sure.

What are you pairing it with 

What is your budget 

Are you satisfied with your current rig's performance

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, AreZ.. said:

If you did, was it worth it? Did it significantly increase your performance?

I am thinking of buying a 3600 but I am still unsure. Intel is no option because it's not worth it in the EU. 

I would greatly appreciate any and all answers to my questions.

Thank you in advance!

what are you doing with your PC? For some games there might be less FPS than with the 6600K

Me brother went from a 6600 to a 7700, large performance difference. But, that depends entirely on the games and performance target, what games and what refresh rate are you looking for?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

For what? For games? Not really.

For AAA titles released in the last 3-4 years the 3600 can make a huge difference.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Okay that's way more replies than I expected. I hope I dont forget any of your questions.

I am pairing it with a 2070 Super

I mainly play Rainbow Six, Total War: Rome 2 and Attila and some Warzone.

I play on 144hz refresh rate. Though I obviously do not expect to reach those numbers in Total War.

Budget wise I'm in the 300-350€ range for CPU and Mainboard.

Just now, AreZ.. said:

Okay that's way more replies than I expected. I hope I dont forget any of your questions.

I play on 144hz refresh rate. Though I obviously do not expect to reach those numbers in Total War.

Are you satisfied with the performance of your current rig ? Are you getting any bad Frame time or anything 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, AreZ.. said:

Make sure you quote us so we can see your responses. If you were interested in quoting multiple times to answer all the questions one at a time, you can do that

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

-snip-

Like this

As for your proposed performance target, rainbow 6 siege definitely benefits from more cores. My roommate uses a Ryzen 5 2600 for high refresh R6S, works great.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Are you satisfied with the performance of your current rig ? Are you getting any bad Frame time or anything 

Well I would like to have some more perfomance and also remove some of the CPU bottleneck I am having. But thats kind of a two birds one stone thing I guess. Also I definitely need something with more cores in the future, having about anything opened in the background will cost me some frames.

3 minutes ago, AreZ.. said:

Well I would like to have some more perfomance and also remove some of the CPU bottleneck I am having. But thats kind of a two birds one stone thing I guess. Also I definitely need something with more cores in the future, having about anything opened in the background will cost me some frames.

Then I guess a b450 tomahawk and a 3600 will pair nicely but what dimms do you have now 

It might need an upgrade

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Then I guess a b450 tomahawk and a 3600 will pair nicely but what dimms do you have now 

It might need an upgrade

I have 16 GB of HyperX Fury DDR-4 2166, they are OCed to like 2666 I believe, can't remember.

I plan to buy new RAM soon

Edited by AreZ..

1 minute ago, AreZ.. said:

I have 16 GB of HyperX Fury DDR-4 2166, they are OCed to like 2666 I believe, can't remember.

I plan to buy new RAM soon

Yes so get the combo then a ram upgrade would certainly  be nice ;)

Build Log: 

32 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

For AAA titles released in the last 3-4 years the 3600 can make a huge difference.

"Huge". :)

You can find at YouTube some tests and you'll find that "huge" means at most 20% in some titles, in other - almost zero difference. If increaing performance by "up to 20%" is worth changing everything, then sure - choose HUGE difference for huge money price.

Just now, homeap5 said:

"Huge". :)

You can find at YouTube some tests and you'll find that "huge" means at most 20% in some titles, in other - almost zero difference. If increaing performance by "up to 20%" is worth changing everything, then sure - HUGE difference that is worth big amount of money.

Battlefield 5, The Division 2, AC: Odyssey and others - performance in these games will absolutely tank with a 4C/4T i5, like the 6600K. 

Both BF5 and D2 for example were pretty much unplayable for me with an overclocked 4670K, even at 1440p, because of the horrendeous frametimes and stutters. A mate of mine with a 6600K had the same exact things happen, as advancements in the i5s haven't really been a thing until lately, have they?

Not sure what videos you found regarding this but you might want to give a second look on them, and maybe others from more reliable sources.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Battlefield 5, The Division 2, AC: Odyssey and others - performance in these games will absolutely tank with a 4C/4T i5, like the 6600K. 

Both BF5 and D2 for example were pretty much unplayable for me with an overclocked 4670K, even at 1440p, because of the horrendeous frametimes and stutters. A mate of mine with a 6600K had the same exact things happen, as advancements in the i5s haven't really been a thing until lately, have they?

Not sure what videos you found regarding this but you might want to give a second look on them, and maybe others from more reliable sources.

Show me your sources (for example - videos that shows comparsion that are reliable for you) and we can talk then.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Show me your sources (for example - videos that shows comparsion that are reliable for you) and we can talk then.

I don't need to check any videos on this matter because I've tested it myself.

Regardless, here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I asked for proof that difference is HUGE, some video that (unlike this one I found) shows that.

Right, I don't know if you're some pre-Coffee Lake i5 or Coffee Lake i3 salesman, or whether you're somehow upset because maybe you're using a similar CPU and don't want to admit that a 4C/4T CPU is just plain not enough nowadays for gaming, but I'm just going to stop arguing here, it's literally pointless, and there's no need to create a mess out of OP's post.

14 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Right, I don't know if you're some pre-Coffee Lake i5 or Coffee Lake i3 salesman, or whether you're somehow upset because maybe you're using a similar CPU and don't want to admit that a 4C/4T CPU is just plain not enough nowadays for gaming, but I'm just going to stop arguing here, it's literally pointless, and there's no need to create a mess out of OP's post.

Sure, you have time to call me old i5/i3 salesman, but don't want to give any proof that difference (in your opinion) is HUGE. I understand that modern Ryzen processors are very powerful, one of my computers has R5 3600 onboard (other has i7 8700k), so I'm not using "similar CPU", but I trying to not exaggerate. Difference in most games, even modern, is not tha HUGE. It's up to 20%. GPU is important, ram is important, but CPU, especially "K" version, is still decent processor, not even very old.

I understand that these days everyone must have R5 3600 as minimum (one year ago on this forum that was Coffee Lake i7) and everything worse is "much" worse, FPS drops down under 10 and Solitaire is the only game that run smoothly. But as you can see on many tests of people who actually have time to tests (and have proper configured their hardware, so they do not complain about stutters) in most of games difference is really not that huge. i5-6600k is still decent CPU for playing games, even AAA titles, paired with good GPU of course.

If you recommend OP to spend money on R7+motherboard+ram only for games, then I must agree that arguing with you is literally pointless.

One of my computers was upgraded from 4570 to R5 3600, so I also speak from personal experience. Do I feel difference in programs and non-gaming stuff? Sure. Do I feel difference in games? Maybe in one or two. Not huge though. So do I recommend spending lot of money for increase FPS in few games? No.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Sure, you have time to call me old i5/i3 salesman, but don't want to give any proof that difference (in your opinion) is HUGE. I understand that modern Ryzen processors are very powerful, one of my computers has R5 3600 onboard (other has i7 8700k), so I'm not using "similar CPU", but I trying to not exaggerate. Difference in most games, even modern, is not tha HUGE. It's up to 20%. GPU is important, ram is important, but CPU, especially "K" version, is still decent processor, not even very old.

Maybe try playing either of the games I mentioned in one of my first replies with a 6600K, and then call me out for "exaggerating".

I understand that these days everyone must have R5 3600 as minimum (one year ago on this forum that was Coffee Lake i7) and everything worse is "much" worse, FPS drops down under 10 and Solitaire is the only game that run smoothly. But as you can see on many tests of people who actually have time to tests (and have proper configured their hardware, so they do not complain about stutters) in most of games difference is really not that huge. i5-6600k is still decent CPU for playing games, even AAA titles, paired with good GPU of course.

Never said that everyone needs at least a Ryzen 3600. You can have a 3300X or an 8th/9th-gen i5 or a 1600AF and still have a very good gaming experience. How exactly did you come to the conclusion that my hardware was not "properly configured", so that was the reason why BF5 and Division 2 were near-unplayable because of the stutters, because clearly it wasn't the fact that the CPU was getting maxed out on all cores, no? Regardless of GPU (tested with an R9 290 and RTX 2070) and resolution (tested at 1080p and 1440p).

There's a reason why Intel released Coffee Lake in the same year as Kaby Lake. The 7600K was a recycled 6600K, which wasn't really that far from a 4690K, which was again a recycled 4670K.

If you recommend OP to spend money on R7+motherboard+ram only for games, then I must agree that arguing with you is literally pointless

I'd love to have you show me where exactly I said that OP needs a Ryzen 7 and new memory for games.

Maybe stop twisting and putting words into people's mouths, and actually admit when you're in the wrong or you're not certain about what you're talking about? It could go a long way.

@Mateyyy: I really don't need to arguing. Especially with someone who thinks that is some kind of "I know everything better" guy. You don't even want to understand my point of view. You assume that if your computer based on 6600K has problem with games, then it MUST BE cpu fault, because you know everything. Of course it's not important for you that lot of people testing games on 6600K on YouTube without any stuttering. BF5? link  Or maybe The Division 2? link  AC Odyssey? link - these games you mentioned. I don't see any stuttering or low FPS, but hey - you know better, because on YOUR computer it works bad. And you have maxed everything. And for sure your OC skills are so great that it's impossible that you creates these problems by yourself by made bad OC.

You can write 50 kB of theory, but facts are - 6600k is not bad CPU for games. I can find many proofs. And you? Except your own personal bad experience?

I would OC the i5-6600K to the moon and then buy the best graphics card aling with 16GB of RAM if you do not have it aleready. UwU

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro