Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chipster339

CPU and GPU usage below 70%, help

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am experiencing in most games a low utilization of both GPU and CPU, with cpu almost never going up of 80% and GPU being lower than 65%. I think I am missing a lot of fps in games, for example on bf5 all on ultra I have around 90-110 fps with utilizations mentioned above. I know I should have more also because people in chat told me it's weird. If it's any help, when i raised scale resolution to 200% on bf5 the fps dropped to 50-60, CPU utilization went down to 40-50% and gpu to 75% max. I don't know where my bottleneck is. I tried both on ssd and hdd. Frames are the same so the problem is not there.

Here are my specs. I also attached I log of hardware monitor of when I was playing so u can check temps and usage and a score of FurMark which I do not know if it is ok.

I already know about power management for the cpu. And also on nvidia panel I already changed all I could to max performance. I also tried both with overclocked CPU and default CPU, frames do not change as far as I can tell.

Power supply: CORSAIR RMX White Series (2018), RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply - White
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
HDD: Seagate FireCuda Gaming 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7E500BW)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11AC Wi-Fi
Cooler(CPU): ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO - Tower CPU Air Cooler with BioniX P-Series Case Fan in Push-Pull, 120 mm PWM Processor Fan for Intel and AMD Socket for CPUs up to 210 Watt TDP - Green
Case: Rosewill Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case Cases Thor V2 Black
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD Video Card
CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop Processor
Monitor: AOC C24G1 24" Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor, FHD 1080p, 1500R VA panel, 1ms 144Hz, FreeSync, Height adjustable, VESA

Capture3.PNG

Tosend.txt

6 minutes ago, chipster339 said:

I am experiencing in most games a low utilization of both GPU and CPU, with cpu almost never going up of 80% and GPU being lower than 65%. I think I am missing a lot of fps in games, for example on bf5 all on ultra I have around 90-110 fps with utilizations mentioned above. I know I should have more also because people in chat told me it's weird. If it's any help, when i raised scale resolution to 200% on bf5 the fps dropped to 50-60, CPU utilization went down to 40-50% and gpu to 75% max. I don't know where my bottleneck is. I tried both on ssd and hdd. Frames are the same so the problem is not there.

Here are my specs. I also attached I log of hardware monitor of when I was playing so u can check temps and usage and a score of FurMark which I do not know if it is ok.

I already know about power management for the cpu. And also on nvidia panel I already changed all I could to max performance. I also tried both with overclocked CPU and default CPU, frames do not change as far as I can tell.

Increasing the resolution scaling should bring the GPU usage up, since you are rendering at a HIGHER resolution, and squashing it down to 1920x1080.

You should be taking a FPS hit with higher resolution scaling.

FurMark results seems fine.

96% GPU usage, GPU power max'ing out.

GPU temperature is also in-check.

Now, what is your CPU temperature?

Are you running the game in FULL SCREEN, or Windowed Mode / Borderless.

You need to run the game in full screen, so it takes priority / main focus of the system.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Increasing the resolution scaling should bring the GPU usage up, since you are rendering at a HIGHER resolution, and squashing it down to 1920x1080.

You should be taking a FPS hit with higher resolution scaling.

FurMark results seems fine.

96% GPU usage, GPU power max'ing out.

GPU temperature is also in-check.

Now, what is your CPU temperature?

Are you running the game in FULL SCREEN, or Windowed Mode / Borderless.

You need to run the game in full screen, so it takes priority / main focus of the system.

Yes it was always full screen, what program can i use to test cpu so that u can get the results?

I want to also mention that I of course reinstalled uninstalled updated drives for the nvidia gpu.

4 minutes ago, chipster339 said:

Yes it was always full screen, what program can i use to test cpu so that u can get the results?

I want to also mention that I of course reinstalled uninstalled updated drives for the nvidia gpu.

What is the temperature of your CPU when in-game (e.g. BF5) ?

Did you use something like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) when removing the drivers?

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Of course, you can do a synthetic test software to put load on the CPU.

You could use the built-in stress test within Intel XTU -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

The Stress test within AIDA64 works as well -- https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

27 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

What is the temperature of your CPU when in-game (e.g. BF5) ?

Did you use something like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) when removing the drivers?

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Of course, you can do a synthetic test software to put load on the CPU.

You could use the built-in stress test within Intel XTU -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

The Stress test within AIDA64 works as well -- https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Yes to DDU,

And i got at max 83 degrees, no throttling, test passed with intel XTU.

In the benchmark I did get spikes of 93 C. But 1 the fans were not at max, and 2 those were spikes.

cpubench.PNG