Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

What are the chances of getting electrocuted by wearing a headset whilst still having wet hair?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm curious, if you put on a headset or headphones, what are the chances you would get electrocuted if your hair was wet?


CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING ICX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBritishVillain said:

I'm curious, if you put on a headset or headphones, what are the chances you would get electrocuted if your hair was wet?

0% if it's a proper headset.

 

That is of course assuming you're not using some awfully designed headset, or one that has bare wires exposed for some reasons.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

none. the power is insanely low, and the wires are all insulated


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, minibois said:

0% if it's a proper headset.

 

That is of course assuming you're not using some awfully designed headset, or one that has bare wires exposed for some reasons.

Still no chance of it, peak voltage on line level is 1.7v.

Link to post
Share on other sites

None. I do this every night after I shower - have been for the past decade at least.

 

Also, electrocution is to die by electric shock. So not only will you not get electrocuted, but you won't even receive a shock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

electrocution

Electrocuted is different then electrocution tho

 

and it is either injured or killed either way.


-it’s scuff Gang btw, I hated the name and needed a change
Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

 

AMD blackout rig

 

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx580 @1.45ghz mem=2100mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 @3800mhz

mobo: Asus b450f

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Still no chance of it, peak voltage on line level is 1.7v.

Yeah, oops. Forgot 'electrocute' means 'to die of getting shocked', I thought it was just getting a shock.

In theory, the wires could 'shock' you, but them being insulated on a proper headset and having such low voltage; the chances of that happening are slim to none.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

None. I do this every night after I shower - have been for the past decade at least.

 

Also, electrocution is to die by electric shock. So not only will you not get electrocuted, but you won't even receive a shock.

Past...Decade?? Rip


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

 

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

I'm curious, if you put on a headset or headphones, what are the chances you would get electrocuted if your hair was wet?

pretty low since the voltage is pretty low

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Past...Decade?? Rip

His hair probably has an indent in the top the size of the Grand Canyon.


"Everything is useless when you're an idiot." -Me, May 26, 2015

Your friendly neighborhood ninja. 35. And I'm American, too.

 

“I did not pay $400 for my superiority to be ported away to other platforms.”- Jerry "The Douchebag" Winston, on console games going to PC

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MixaMega said:

pretty low since the voltage is pretty low

Impossible, without Modifying the headset.


 

When I ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

 

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

 

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

 

Build: Craptastic Intel i7-4785T, 12gb of Laptop 1333 mhz ddr3 Ram, and HD 4000 Graphics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not possible with your typical headphones, as others have said the voltage & current is too low. 

 

But maybe with a pair of high-voltage electrostatic headphones. Your hair would have to be really wet to get a good connection between your skin and the headphones, and there would have to be some exposed wires or electrodes. You might feel a shock but the current is still too low to cause any harm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

FYI, for anyone wondering, it is because in the UK air conditioning is a lot less common in domestic homes and I don't have it where I live at the moment and it's really hot, therefore I like to cool myself by wetting my hair every hour or so. Fans work however if you are trying to game with a microphone with the fan at your face peeps get angry lol.


CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING ICX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

FYI, for anyone wondering, it is because in the UK air conditioning is a lot less common in domestic homes and I don't have it where I live at the moment and it's really hot, therefore I like to cool myself by wetting my hair every hour or so. Fans work however if you are trying to game with a microphone with the fan at your face peeps get angry lol.

Get a bike or car radiator that will fit in your freezer, needs to be one with only 2 connections on it (inlet and outlet). More modern rads don't have a cap on them. You also need a lenth of radiator hose that will join the inlet and outlet together and hose clamps.

 

What you do is attach the hose to the outlet at the bottom of the radiator and fill it up with antifreeze (the red stuff, it's much safer). Then stick the other end of the hose on the inlet and tighten the clamp. Either straight or pre-mixed, doesn't really matter.  If you can get hold of a few litres of medical grade propylene glycol that's even better. E-cig juice is basically prop glycol.

 

Hose it down properly and dry it off. Put it in a bin bag and stick it in the freezer over night. When the temp gets hot enough to be an issue, put it standing in front of your fan and back in the ice cold breeze.

 

If you make 2 you can swap them out and have cool air for most of the day.

 

You can also just fill a radiator with tap water, seal it off and use that until it warms up, but it won't last anywhere near as long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Buy a towel instead 

It's intentionally wet.


CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING ICX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scuff gang said:

Electrocuted is different then electrocution tho

 

and it is either injured or killed either way.

No, it's not. It's all the same.

 

"Electrocuted" is the past participle of the verb "electrocute", which itself is the verb used to describe the action of the noun "electrocution".


My Workstation

i7-9750H 6-core - GTX 1660 Ti - 4K Samsung OLED - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB NVME

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

No, it's not. It's all the same.

 

"Electrocuted" is the past participle of the verb "electrocute", which itself is the verb used to describe the action of the noun "electrocution".

Thank you Mr. English teacher

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Get a bike or car radiator that will fit in your freezer, needs to be one with only 2 connections on it (inlet and outlet). More modern rads don't have a cap on them. You also need a lenth of radiator hose that will join the inlet and outlet together and hose clamps.

 

What you do is attach the hose to the outlet at the bottom of the radiator and fill it up with antifreeze (the red stuff, it's much safer). Then stick the other end of the hose on the inlet and tighten the clamp. Either straight or pre-mixed, doesn't really matter.  If you can get hold of a few litres of medical grade propylene glycol that's even better. E-cig juice is basically prop glycol.

 

Hose it down properly and dry it off. Put it in a bin bag and stick it in the freezer over night. When the temp gets hot enough to be an issue, put it standing in front of your fan and back in the ice cold breeze.

 

If you make 2 you can swap them out and have cool air for most of the day.

 

You can also just fill a radiator with tap water, seal it off and use that until it warms up, but it won't last anywhere near as long.

Thing is, the UK isn't like the US, when we say it is hot....well I put in these terms, if it gets to 30c outside, this makes national headlines in the Newpapers and we describe it as a heat wave.

 

There are a lot of jokes about this in the UK, I really enjoyed summer, it was a great weekend.

 

This apparatus would be used, probably 4 times a year, if it was a particularly warm year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dravinian said:

Thing is, the UK isn't like the US, when we say it is hot....well I put in these terms, if it gets to 30c outside, this makes national headlines in the Newpapers and we describe it as a heat wave.

 

There are a lot of jokes about this in the UK, I really enjoyed summer, it was a great weekend.

 

This apparatus would be used, probably 4 times a year, if it was a particularly warm year.

I know, I live there ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's how my dad died though.

 

No it's fine.


Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the device the headphones are plugged into. Some cheap Chinese POS with poor power supply isolation could potentially fail in such a way as to put mains voltage on the audio out. If your headphones are plugged in to that device it becomes a whole different story.

 

And yes, this has actually happened. (wall wart powered headphone amp, cheap Chinese wall wart failed and let 240V AC trough, amplifier chip in headphone amp blew and passed the 240V AC trough to the headphone out, headphone made one loud *pop* and was no more).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, TheBritishVillain said:

FYI, for anyone wondering, it is because in the UK air conditioning is a lot less common in domestic homes and I don't have it where I live at the moment and it's really hot, therefore I like to cool myself by wetting my hair every hour or so. Fans work however if you are trying to game with a microphone with the fan at your face peeps get angry lol.

my college dorm didnt have AC so i got two box fans one blowing out and one blowing in on the two windows and it worked astoundingly well. even when its like 90 degrees outside it always felt like 75 or so degrees in my dorm with them going

Lasko Cool Colors 20" 3-Speed Box Fan, Model B20308, Blue ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it has not been mentioned. It takes at least 50V DC for tough skin (hands) to conduct and 12V DC for soft skin (under wrists). I believe your headphones run on millivolts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×