power outage while gaming.

Mando772004

I recently got a power outage while i was gaming these happen quite frequently in my area but this is the first time on my new pc. was wondering if its necessary to get a surge protector to protect my pc from high voltage or any damage and would it be worth it or not.

Specs:

GIGABYTE GAMING OC 8G RTX 2080 SUPER

16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz

ryzen 5 3600 oc @4.2ghz (GIGABYTE ATC800 RGB COOLER)

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

CoolerMaster MB520 TG case with 3 front fans and 1 rear fan.

Corsair TX650M PSU

Surge protector im looking to buy(sorry if the link is in arabic):https://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/promate-power-strip-surge-protector-commercial-3-outlet-power-extension-with-6-usb-ports-automatic-voltage-regulation-and-2m-power-cord-for-home-office-powerstrip-3-uk-30562020/i/

You should absolutely have your PC, and any valuable electronics plugged into a surge protector.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Statik said:

You should absolutely have your PC, and any valuable electronics plugged into a surge protector.

Alrighty then guess ill invest in one

1 hour ago, InfernalClaw said:

Alrighty then guess ill invest in one

I don't know your country, or what that currency in that link was, but you can get a surge protector for like $30-50CAD no problem.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

I don't know your country, or what that currency in that link was, but you can get a surge protector for like $30-50CAD no problem.

the one im getting is actually like 20 dollars. also when i get it do i just connect my pc and play or do i have to press a button or something

21 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

the one im getting is actually like 20 dollars. also when i get it do i just connect my pc and play or do i have to press a button or something

It’s just a power strip with a fuse in it.  The crap ones aren’t adequate.   If the fuse is a breaker it will trip at which point jupi have to reset it to have power again.  With really frequent power outages I might consider a full ups.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s just a power strip with a fuse in it.  The crap ones aren’t adequate.   If the fuse is a breaker it will trip at which point jupi have to reset it to have power again.  With really frequent power outages I might consider a full ups.

what is a full up?

4 hours ago, InfernalClaw said:

what is a full up?

A UPS is basically a surge protector, but it has battery in it. It basically protects your PC from surges, and in the event of a power outage gives you enough time to properly save and shut everything down.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

A UPS is basically a surge protector, but it has battery in it. It basically protects your PC from surges, and in the event of a power outage gives you enough time to properly save and shut everything down.

wait so when the electrical outage happens my pc is still on so i have time to turn it off? thats really didnt know that guess i was living under a rock

4 hours ago, InfernalClaw said:

what is a full up?

Derp “UPS” Ihateautocorrect 

Uninteruptable Power Supply.  Protects from both current spikes and current drops.  They’re huge, expensive, and because they contain big batteries, eventually go bad.  It used to be all of them could have their batteries replaced.  These days apparently only the better ones.  I suspect the batteries on the cheap ones can be replaced too because batteries are batteries, but it’s likely hella more work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

wait so when the electrical outage happens my pc is still on so i have time to turn it off? thats really didnt know that guess i was living under a rock

It will do that.  There are “smart” ones and “dumb” ones.  The only difference is the smart ones will tell you how long you have before the batteries die.   The dumb ones just chug along till they fail.  Most will set off a really annoying audio alarm so you know to run in and shut down the computer.  Doesn’t help if you’re out of the house though.  There are methods to have the “smart” kind text you through your computer.   What they really need is a way to do an auto shutdown when they go off.  Never seen one that could do that.  Wouldn’t be hard though.

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

a ups is a bit expensive. will the surge protector get the job done in terms of protecting my pc in electrical outages or do i really need a ups @Bombastinator @Statik

22 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

a ups is a bit expensive. will the surge protector get the job done in terms of protecting my pc in electrical outages or do i really need a ups @Bombastinator @Statik

You absolutely don’t need a UPS. I don’t have one. Plenty of people don’t. Surge protectors are the only must IMO. UPSs are good if you work on your PC a lot and always have important things on the go/servers, etc

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

48 minutes ago, Statik said:

You absolutely don’t need a UPS. I don’t have one. Plenty of people don’t. Surge protectors are the only must IMO. UPSs are good if you work on your PC a lot and always have important things on the go/servers, etc

well surge protector it is. also i was wondering the surge protector is ac or dc?

2 hours ago, InfernalClaw said:

well surge protector it is. also i was wondering the surge protector is ac or dc?

A surge protector in the US is literally just an ac power strip with a breaker or fuse in it.  The ac-dc conversion happens in the PSU which is downstream of the surge protector.  Even UPSes operate AC even if internally theyre DC  because of the batteries.  

UPS is generally only truely needed when data is being written when power dies, which usually only happens with servers.  Most home computers can withstand a hard crash Hardware wise.  It’s just the data that is vulnerable.  For a games machine this doesn’t mean much.   You may lose a save game or something but it’s not the $10k value file a business might lose.  I have a UPS because they can act as kind of lousy power cleaners and power cleaners are (or at least were when I last checked) multi thousand dollar devices way too expensive for me to install for just my one machine.