290X fan swap

ok so i bought a 290X from a seller named scammy mcscam and it arrived broken. (obviously a joke)

but to be serious, one of the fans has failed and doesn't turn properly anymore. i've opened it up and tried to clean the fan and now it does the same thing but makes a grinding noise, so it's probably bearing faillure. 

can i swap out the fan with a normal pc case fan? it needs to look kind of nice as i bought this for someone else.... 

She/Her

Probably yes but it's going to depend on the size of the case fans

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Probably yes but it's going to depend on the size of the case fans

i have all kinds laying around. the thing i'm stuck on is how to power them. i have a fan controller lying around so i could do that but that requires manual input and won't ramp up the fans if the gpu gets hot for example. 

She/Her

Your can get an adapter to connect to the fan header on the gpu. But connect the old GPU fan and new cpu will need some soldering. 

Or just connect the replacement to the mother board and have a lower offset for that fan to ramp up sooner. 

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

Your can get an adapter to connect to the fan header on the gpu. But connect the old GPU fan and new cpu will need some soldering. 

i can solder just fine so that's no problem. 

if i get a cpu fan that's the same voltage as the fan on the card it should™️ work right? and ramp up and slow down correctly. 

Just now, narrdarr said:

Or just connect the replacement to the mother board and have a lower offset for that fan to ramp up sooner. 

that would be an option if it was my machine but it isn't and i don't know if the person i'm giving it to will ever reset their bios accidentally (they don't know much about computers).... 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i have all kinds laying around. the thing i'm stuck on is how to power them. i have a fan controller lying around so i could do that but that requires manual input and won't ramp up the fans if the gpu gets hot for example. 

The card should have its own header

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

i can solder just fine so that's no problem. 

if i get a cpu fan that's the same voltage as the fan on the card it should™️ work right? and ramp up and slow down correctly. 

that would be an option if it was my machine but it isn't and i don't know if the person i'm giving it to will ever reset their bios accidentally (they don't know much about computers).... 

Should be fine.