Thermal Pad thickness on chipset in laptop

Hey guys! I just had a question about thermal pads in a laptop motherboard. If the thermal pads I use on the chipset around my gpu and cpu are too thick, is that a problem? 

Laptop tolerances are extremely tight. A wrong sized pad can create massive thermal issues

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Laptop tolerances are extremely tight. A wrong sized pad can create massive thermal issues

Hey thanks for the reply. Just for reference, I used 1.5mm thick thermal pads on vrms in my laptop. The thermal pads that it used to use seem to be 0.5 or 1mm thick. That will cause major thermal issues right?

28 minutes ago, Pepperonis said:

Hey thanks for the reply. Just for reference, I used 1.5mm thick thermal pads on vrms in my laptop. The thermal pads that it used to use seem to be 0.5 or 1mm thick. That will cause major thermal issues right?

It's likely to, yes. You should use the same thickness as the factory else you will end up causing some sort of problem - could even be on an entirely different component

13 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's likely to, yes. You should use the same thickness as the factory else you will end up causing some sort of problem - could even be on an entirely different component

Alrighty. Thanks for the help! Ive been having problems with my gpu thermals and performance and I think it may be the thermal pads preventing contact with the heat sink and gpu. Thanks again!