Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khoomn

Undervolting 3700x

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I've noticed the horrible voltage on the 3000 series as a whole and how my cpu idles at 1.45 volts and 65-75c, I want to undervolt it but not sure what to set it to. the 3700x turbos on all core load to 4250mhz, I know I have to go into the ryzen master program to undervolt it as the bios i broken for undervolting (i think) I don't know what voltage to set it to for 4200mhz though. I saw someone with a 3900x on youtube get his at 1 volt to 3.8-3.9ghz but dont know if its the same numbers for the 3700x as it is the 3900x

So I got a stable Cinebench R20 render at 1.2 Volts 4200mhz and it lowered the temps at idle and gained 2c on render because stock at load is 1.16 volts 3800mhz. I was told in the LTT discord these things, can anyone prove them to be correct?

• the life span of your CPU is a couple decades, OCing reduces it by like 2-5 years - PhoenixFlower#0893
  • Yeah, that's not going to be stable  @Khoomn - Elisis#9169 (Saying 4200mhz at 1.2 volts is unstable)
  • Because even 4.2GHz isn't doable with 3700x on higher clocks - Elisis#9169 (Even though I just did R20 at 4200 1.2)
  • i'm not sure 1.2 is okay though - PhoenixFlower#0893
  • It's fine as long as it doesn't run high voltages static - Elisis#9169
  • @Khoomn Be carefull on undervolting. PC have mechanisms which can make it stable like additional power to capacitors while changing states atc. And if you do it wrong you can cause death of other components or data corruption. Try to do overclocks via guides. - gimli.cz#7498
  • Just leave your voltages at auto, Your CPU can handle itself - Elisis#9169 (Only problem is, my cpu temps look like a heart rate monitor at idle, see pic below)

image.png.7457db530b1e685dba7127057c76eb74.png 

4 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

So I've noticed the horrible voltage on the 3000 series as a whole and how my cpu idles at 1.45 volts and 65-75c, I want to undervolt it but not sure what to set it to. the 3700x turbos on all core load to 4250mhz, I know I have to go into the ryzen master program to undervolt it as the bios i broken for undervolting (i think) I don't know what voltage to set it to for 4200mhz though. I saw someone with a 3900x on youtube get his at 1 volt to 3.8-3.9ghz but dont know if its the same numbers for the 3700x as it is the 3900x

Undervolting worked with my Asus x570-I bios. I just set a negative voltage offset of .0425 to get my temps down like 5c. Ryzen chips run hot with PBO enabled. I just didn’t want my chip spiking over 80c for quick seconds because it made my fan ramp up. 

5 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

I saw someone with a 3900x on youtube get his at 1 volt to 3.8-3.9ghz but dont know if its the same numbers for the 3700x as it is the 3900x

He lost a lot of performance from doing that.

8 minutes ago, AshRiver said:

He lost a lot of performance from doing that.

Are we thinking about the same video? Im pretty sure the one you are thinking of when he did it in the bios he deleted it because it was false, the one through the ryzen master was accurate, 1.1 volts or smth he got stock speeds with cooler temps

Not the same cpu, but I've just about finished tinkering with my 3600. I set voltage to 1.2, and started ramping clock up. 4.3 Ghz seemed stable at 1.2v. It 'technically' ran a cinbench R20 with 4.4 with 1.2v but crashed out of the second run, rebooting the machine.

Ended at 4.35 Ghz, sucking down 1.25V. Giving me Cinebench R20 score of 3966, so clocks appear to be actually correct. Slightly higher than the 1.2V I wanted, so might go back to 4.3ghz at 1.2v. In either case temps are lower than stock. Idle at 40-50c depending on what ever the fuck windows decides to do in the background, and never seen temps under load go above 79c (no ac here, 22c-ish ambient).

I was using the bios for all of this, if it matters. All core OC, locked voltage, not offset. Briefly tried using Ryzen Master, but I had the distinct impression the software wasn't doing what I asked it to do.

I do have a better cooler (the stock cooler is garbage) so I got an AIO for cheap so nothing fancy. However the 3700x should be better binned and come with a way better stock cooler.

For 4.2ghz specifically, 1.1v to 1.15v might work ok.

Only thing to do is experiment. Voltage = bad, higher clocks = good, find some balance between those, where it's actually stable.

I'd suggest 4.3Ghz at 1.2v, then slowly ramp clocks up. When stability becomes an issue, add a little more voltage, or be happy with what you achieved. Or step voltage down until clocks you want aren't stable. Nothing bad *should* happen to the mobo/cpu assuming you don't enter crazy numbers.

1 hour ago, AndersWSP said:

Not the same cpu, but I've just about finished tinkering with my 3600. I set voltage to 1.2, and started ramping clock up. 4.3 Ghz seemed stable at 1.2v. It 'technically' ran a cinbench R20 with 4.4 with 1.2v but crashed out of the second run, rebooting the machine.

Ended at 4.35 Ghz, sucking down 1.25V. Giving me Cinebench R20 score of 3966, so clocks appear to be actually correct. Slightly higher than the 1.2V I wanted, so might go back to 4.3ghz at 1.2v. In either case temps are lower than stock. Idle at 40-50c depending on what ever the fuck windows decides to do in the background, and never seen temps under load go above 79c (no ac here, 22c-ish ambient).

I was using the bios for all of this, if it matters. All core OC, locked voltage, not offset. Briefly tried using Ryzen Master, but I had the distinct impression the software wasn't doing what I asked it to do.

I do have a better cooler (the stock cooler is garbage) so I got an AIO for cheap so nothing fancy. However the 3700x should be better binned and come with a way better stock cooler.

For 4.2ghz specifically, 1.1v to 1.15v might work ok.

Only thing to do is experiment. Voltage = bad, higher clocks = good, find some balance between those, where it's actually stable.

I'd suggest 4.3Ghz at 1.2v, then slowly ramp clocks up. When stability becomes an issue, add a little more voltage, or be happy with what you achieved. Or step voltage down until clocks you want aren't stable. Nothing bad *should* happen to the mobo/cpu assuming you don't enter crazy numbers.

So, I undervolted to 1.2 volts and OC to 4.2ghz and gained a lot of performance in Cinebench R20 atleast, i went into the LTT discord and asked a couple of questions about it and people are just telling me to not undervolt it and 1.2 volts cant be stable at 4.2ghz and wont be stable in the long run, blah blah blah keep it stock volts but oc manually, dont keep it at a static voltage it can cause damage to other components and none of this is making sense to me as undervolting should be saver than over volting. Can anyone else confirm or deny any of these claims?

13 minutes ago, AndersWSP said:

How's the temps at 1.2?

So I kinda figured everything out, 4200mhz at 1.2 volts wasnt stable so i bumped it up to 1.25 but i think thats too much, could probably go lower, but at 1.25 max temp was 80c in R20, im chilling at 4000mhz at 1.175 volts which to my current experience is stable with ab 30-40 minutes on blender benchmark and Prime 95, max temp on blender benchmark and R20 was 70c flat, max temp with P95 was 85c. I'm using the stock 3700x cooler.

12 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

So I kinda figured everything out, 4200mhz at 1.2 volts wasnt stable so i bumped it up to 1.25 but i think thats too much, could probably go lower, but at 1.25 max temp was 80c in R20, im chilling at 4000mhz at 1.175 volts which to my current experience is stable with ab 30-40 minutes on blender benchmark and Prime 95, max temp on blender benchmark and R20 was 70c flat, max temp with P95 was 85c. I'm using the stock 3700x cooler.

Prime95 is a brutal workload, so 85c should be 'fine' one the top end, the more realistic 70c sounds healthy enough. What about idle temps?

I tried undervolting in Ryzen Master and now and got 4936 cinebench on 1.1375V on my 3700X with 4.2Ghz all core.

this has been stable throughout

I'd like to now try undervolting with offset from the bios, I just tried it but then my clock stays at 3.6Ghz and doesn't boost like before. Can I not undervolt and keep the boost capabilities?

Just now, senorhutlos said:

I'd like to now try undervolting with offset from the bios, I just tried it but then my clock stays at 3.6Ghz and doesn't boost like before. Can I not undervolt and keep the boost capabilities?

also: now I have to set my profile to "standard" in ryzen master after boot up to get the usual boost, and the cores are not boosting individually anymore and seem to be locked together. I undid the undervolting in the bios by setting the value back to auto.

how can I get the previous behaviour back?

On 6/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, senorhutlos said:

I tried undervolting in Ryzen Master and now and got 4936 cinebench on 1.1375V on my 3700X with 4.2Ghz all core.

this has been stable throughout

and people told me my voltage was too low, jfc, I was told 1.175 at 4ghz was too little and unstable and somehow you are stable at 4.2 at 1.1375v