Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Best way to clean PC case+including parts inside it?

Which cleaning solution do you prefer/use/recommed?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which cleaning solution do you prefer/use/recommed?

• Compressed air
    • Q-tips/Cloths
    • Leaf blower
    • Air compressor
    • Vacuum cleaner

Posted · Original PosterOP

Greetings,

So I used to use a leaf blower to clean my PC from dust but many people told me it's wrong and that I should use something more accurate like compressed air, So here's my question, what is the best way

to clean PC Case including parts inside it? with best I mean safe and fast/quick, Tell me your opinion in the poll and/or replies, Also should I use something to hold the fans when I use the leaf blower? it makes the fans spin really quick.

Compressed air or an ESD safe air duster like the Metro Datavac ED500.

Air compressors are "ok" for short burst, but you need to be careful about the accumulation of humidity in the tank which can send water droplets onto the hardware (shouldn't be much of an issue if you properly empty out the tank after each use)

Never use a plain vacuum. The bristle on the tip can cause static, not to mention it's not ESD safe.

The only time I'd use a q-tip or microfiber cloth.. Is in combination with 99% alcohol... And only to clean out a smoker's PC. If you don't smoke and regularly the dust out of your PC, there's shouldn't be any reason to go down on it.

As for the leaf blower... Just don't... what are you trying to do here...

As a reminder, ALWAYS hold the fans in place when using air to blow up dust. You do NOT want those fans to spin out of control. Either with your hand or with a plastic pen or whatever. (avoid metal, especially if you need to hold the fan in the PSU still)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Air compressor but as TetraSky said, hold the fans still so they don't get damaged or explode.   I never had any noticeable water from my air compressor but I do live in a desert.

I use an air compressor and then finish off with a microfibre cloth. once a year I'll buy a can of compressed air for some extra pressure.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Jumballi said:

a can of compressed air for some extra pressure.

???
I'm pretty sure an air compressor has more pressure than a can of air though...

Do you not have a nozzle on it? 

s-l640.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I use compressed air for most of it and q-tips and a cloth/paintbrush for all the small piles of dust on the case. Just make sure everything you use it esd safe so it doesn’t break anything.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote me, @zeusthemoose me, or like my post for me to get notified of your response

14 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Compressed air or an ESD safe air duster like the Metro Datavac ED500.

Air compressors are "ok" for short burst, but you need to be careful about the accumulation of humidity in the tank which can send water droplets onto the hardware (shouldn't be much of an issue if you properly empty out the tank after each use)

Never use a plain vacuum. The bristle on the tip can cause static, not to mention it's not ESD safe.

The only time I'd use a q-tip or microfiber cloth.. Is in combination with 99% alcohol... And only to clean out a smoker's PC. If you don't smoke and regularly the dust out of your PC, there's shouldn't be any reason to go down on it.

As for the leaf blower... Just don't... what are you trying to do here...

As a reminder, ALWAYS hold the fans in place when using air to blow up dust. You do NOT want those fans to spin out of control. Either with your hand or with a plastic pen or whatever. (avoid metal, especially if you need to hold the fan in the PSU still)

Ok, so air compressor for accuracy, air compressor for mass cleaning, but why are you saying that leaf blowers won't really do the job?

7 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

but why are you saying that leaf blowers won't really do the job?

Oh, it technically will.
Just that... When I imagine leaf blowers, I think of this:
Backpack Leaf Blowers | Leaf Blower Reviews 2019

It ain't the best thing to use. It's big and bulky and while it will dust off the large particulates around the inside of the PC, it will have a harder time for pin point accuracy in tighter space, like the GPU (without removing it from the case) or inside the PSU. Not to mention, seeing how big it is, it might be more of a pain in the ass to hold down every single fans, because that shit is going to spin 'em all at once.

To unstick dust you want fast moving air, a leafblower moves a lot of volume but slowly.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

To unstick dust you want fast moving air, a leafblower moves a lot of volume but slowly.

I actually use a much smaller leaf blower like this

BLOWER-VAC-ELECTRIC-Power-Auto-Shop-Leaf-Dust.jpg

On 5/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, InfinityVive said:

I actually use a much smaller leaf blower like this

That's not a leaf blower. That's an electric blower duster. Same one used in this video:

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

That's not a leaf blower. That's an electric blower duster. Same one used in this video:

Oh, it has "Leaf Blower" written on it's box, is that fake marketing?

It's chinglish.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2