Corsair Ax 850 PSU almost Caught 馃敟

Hello everybody. I don't usually post. But I don't really know what to do in a situation like this,I've never really seen this before. I'm pretty upset though.

TLDR : my dad's 4790K 1080i system started black screening after 20 mins. Couldn't figure out problem. Change graphics cards. PSU started to smoke. Melted 8 pin port PSU?!聽

I got a call from my dad last week that the computer I built several years ago. Is acting up. So I go over there, He explains that the computer keeps crashing around 20 to 40 minute mark of gaming. It just black screens. 馃 After many many hours resetting settings,/changing components... I'm completely left baffled. The computer will randomly turn off after 20 to 40 minutes gaming and sometimes just rendering menu, and then it won't boot up again in a menu at all until shut off for a very long time but It would sometimes load windows even after that first or second black screen.聽

I brought it home changed graphics cards thinking that might have been it. I plugged in a 5700 XT and It was fine for a little while. Decide to put the 1080ti back into test one more time before giving up and tearing it down...

.set a valley benchmark. It lasted another 20 minutes and then a small bid of smoke came out of the eight-pin power port I shut the computer off. Blowing the smoke away I felt the PSU and it was pretty hot though the PSU was running with the fan on.

I'm not really quite sure what to do now. I never had this happen before. I'm really upset that my PSU is shot and my 1080 TI is acting up on top of that. I made sure all cables were seated properly every time I ever installed or moved a component.聽

Power Cables were changed, using a tripp light power protector aswell.

20200523_173845.jpg

20200523_175513.jpg

damn, good thing that didn't happen when no one was around. any warranties left on the parts? if not, i would replace the psu(obviously), and solder a new port into the gpu, or find someone who can.

How old is it? If it's a 4790k I assume it's an older system, and PSUs eventually tend to die, and it can be catastrophic.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x 聽 |聽 GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |聽 Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS聽 |聽 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB聽 |聽 PSU: Corsair RM850x聽 |聽 Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo聽 |聽 Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT聽 |聽 Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F聽 |聽 Sound: Sennheiser HD 598聽 |聽 Mic: Blue Yeti聽 |聽 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum聽 |聽 Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 hours ago, GTAGOD said:

Melted 8 pin port PSU?!聽

That looks like12 pins, not 8.

Which AX850 is this?聽 The old Gold one or the new Platinum one?

If it's the Gold one, which would be about 10 years old, it's the cable that goes to the graphics card.聽 You were trying to run the 1080Ti off a single cable?

If it's the new Titanium one, it would be the cable that goes to the 24-pin.

I'd really like to hear more information.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

That looks like12 pins, not 8.

Which AX850 is this?聽 The old Gold one or the new Platinum one?

If it's the Gold one, which would be about 10 years old, it's the cable that goes to the graphics card.聽 You were trying to run the 1080Ti off a single cable?

If it's the new Titanium one, it would be the cable that goes to the 24-pin.

I'd really like to hear more information.

Yes you're completely right that is the 12 pin. I have ran quite a few GPUs off of one cable no problem. It is the gold, Didn't think that would ever be a issue ?

3 minutes ago, GTAGOD said:

Yes you're completely right that is the 12 pin. I have ran quite a few GPUs off of one cable no problem. It is the gold, Didn't think that would ever be a issue ?

What was the original graphics card and what was the graphics card that was used right before the cable ignited?

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What was the original graphics card and what was the graphics card that was used right before the cable ignited?

5700xt then back to the 1080ti

9 hours ago, GTAGOD said:

5700xt then back to the 1080ti

Pretty high power cards.

So maybe there was some corrosion built up on the pins from over the years and this caused so much resistance that the connector melted.

Jesus how could this happen AXi is in top tier list....聽馃

Is your graphics card now okay?

Does it get current on those pins,does the LED indicator light up on it if it has one?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,聽 it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

11 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Jesus how could this happen AXi is in top tier list....聽馃

Is your graphics card now okay?

Does it get current on those pins,does the LED indicator light up on it if it has one?

FWIW:聽 This is the Seasonic made AX.聽 Not the Flextronics made AXi.

Time to detier Corsair AX Platinum and Seasonic PRIME for a good measure too. /s

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

18 minutes ago, Juular said:

Time to detier Corsair AX Platinum and Seasonic PRIME for a good measure too. /s

This is the old GOLD one if it has the 12-pin for the PCIe.

It's the old X-KM platform.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

This is the old GOLD one if it has the 12-pin for the PCIe.

It's the old X-KM platform.

Ah, okay time to detier Corsair AX Gold and all Seasonic X versions for a good measure too. /s2

Seriously tho, how this is possible on the PSU with actual 12-pins on the PSU side of 2x8-pin PCI-e cable ? Definitely looks like smth helped this to happen, but corrosion, how did it get there ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

You mentioned you noticed smoke coming out of the 8-pin, but the first picture you attached shows聽two 6-pin connectors. Which one was it?

Also, how were you running a 1080Ti off of two 6-pins? I'm pretty sure that all 1080Ti models have at least an 8+6 config.

Edited by Mateyyy
nvm I'm blind

Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K |聽ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB @聽3200MHz CL14聽| EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop:聽2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"聽聽--聽 i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals:聽Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g聽| Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

33 minutes ago, Juular said:

聽/s

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

聽/s2

I did see the /s, by the way.聽 ;)

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

You mentioned you noticed smoke coming out of the 8-pin, but the first picture you attached shows聽two 6-pin connectors. Which one was it?

Also, how were you running a 1080Ti off of two 6-pins? I'm pretty sure that all 1080Ti models have at least an 8+6 config.

The PSU has a 12-pin on one side (what is shown in the picture) with two 6+2-pin connectors on the other.

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

but corrosion, how did it get there ?

We don't know where OP lives.聽 I used to be a PC tech in Florida and those guys that lived on boat houses would have PC parts corrode within a year.

I mean.. if humidity can cause a thermal pad to fail in an SF750 causing the PFC diode to short out to the heatsink in Singapore, Vietnam, etc. within the course of 4 months, then you know anything is possible.聽 ;)

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The PSU has a 12-pin on one side (what is shown in the picture) with two 6+2-pin connectors on the other.

Well that makes sense, considering there's also just a single lock in the middle of the connector, not two separate ones as if there were actually two聽6-pins. My bad.

Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K |聽ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB @聽3200MHz CL14聽| EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop:聽2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"聽聽--聽 i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals:聽Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g聽| Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I didn't notice any corrosion previously but it may have built up over time. I do live in Minnesota.

Curious what Corsair will do. I did submit a RMA. This shouldnt of happened even being out of a RMA situation.

I haven't got an email back yet. Any thoughts on what they will do.

2 hours ago, GTAGOD said:

I didn't notice any corrosion previously but it may have built up over time. I do live in Minnesota.

Curious what Corsair will do. I did submit a RMA. This shouldnt of happened even being out of a RMA situation.

I haven't got an email back yet. Any thoughts on what they will do.

Nothing. It's out of warranty.