Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesHewitt

Keyboard switches

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've had a k70 lux with cherry mx reds for some time now. After using keyboards like the blackwidow for a bit and going back to the K70 the keys feel super mushy. I also struggle to type accurately a lot of the time.

 

Therefore I've ordered myself a GMMK ISO board and plan to build my own. I've been looking at zealios v2 switches and just want to know what others would recommend. 

 

I mostly game but it's nothing massively competitive, war thunder, star citizen, Battlefield,  pubg etc. 

 

Thanks for nay input and I'm not massively experienced in this area so if I'm missing any details please say

 

James

 

Quick edit: I get annoyed at how mushy / inaccurate I can type on the K70 now and I'm wanting something a lot nicer for regular typing which is still fine for games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot depends on personal preference. Clicky, tactile or linear, (if tactile or clicky, what sort of tactile bump), silenced or not silenced, whether or not you care about the RGB lighting (i.e. if you need a clear transparent housing, coloured transparent housing, or don't care), other particular things you care about.


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

A lot depends on personal preference. Clicky, tactile or linear, (if tactile or clicky, what sort of tactile bump), silenced or not silenced, whether or not you care about the RGB lighting (i.e. if you need a clear transparent housing, coloured transparent housing, or don't care), other particular things you care about.

I don't think I've had a keyboard with any tactile bumps. K70 and the blackwidow don't seem to. Clicks I don't mind tons and I'm not sure what you mean by the silenced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamesHewitt said:

I don't think I've had a keyboard with any tactile bumps. K70 and the blackwidow don't seem to. Clicks I don't mind tons and I'm not sure what you mean by the silenced. 

Zealios V2s are a very solid switches and they're much nicer than MX Reds or Razer Yellows you've had in the K70/Blackwidow.

 

Some switches, such as MX Silent Reds, have sound dampening built into them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Haas_ said:

Zealios V2s are a very solid switches and they're much nicer than MX Reds or Razer Yellows you've had in the K70/Blackwidow.

 

Some switches, such as MX Silent Reds, have sound dampening built into them.

Thanks, that's what I've been told about  the Zealious hence why I'm considering them. Any other suggestions or would you say go for them?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

I don't think I've had a keyboard with any tactile bumps. K70 and the blackwidow don't seem to.

Zealios might not be to your liking if you've only ever used linear switches. They have one of the strongest tactile bumps out there. But if you do like tactile other options are Kailh box switches. Where the Zealios bump is large the Kailh's are sharp.  Box Brown, Box Burnt Orange and Box Navy are all sharply tactile but with different sizes, smallest to largest in the order I listed them.

 

What about reds do you find 'mushy'? That's not how most people would describe them. What were the switches in those other keyboards that you liked better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Zealios might not be to your liking if you've only ever used linear switches. They have one of the strongest tactile bumps out there. But if you do like tactile other options are Kailh box switches. Where the Zealios bump is large the Kailh's are sharp.  Box Brown, Box Burnt Orange and Box Navy are all sharply tactile but with different sizes, smallest to largest in the order I listed them.

 

What about reds do you find 'mushy'? That's not how most people would describe them. What were the switches in those other keyboards that you liked better?

I kinda find it hard to explain. When I used the blackwidow the keys just felt smoother and just nicer. When I'm typing with this it kinda feels like when you use something which feels cheaper. It might do the same but it just doesn't feel as good if that makes sense.

 

I find it super easy to miss type words and it feels as if the keyboard is sitting on your lap. So when you type it just doesn't feel right if that makes any sense.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JamesHewitt said:

I kinda find it hard to explain. When I used the blackwidow the keys just felt smoother and just nicer. When I'm typing with this it kinda feels like when you use something which feels cheaper. It might do the same but it just doesn't feel as good if that makes sense.

 

I find it super easy to miss type words and it feels as if the keyboard is sitting on your lap. So when you type it just doesn't feel right if that makes any sense.

 

 

You could try ordering sample packs directly from ZealPC, or Novelkeys if you're interested in Kailh switches. It's a bit of an additional cost up front but could save you from buying the wrong thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×