High end PSU issues and choice.

ssmb212

Greetings everyone I'll take some time to introduce myself and my problem. I'm 32 years old I have been an enthusiast and making my own systems since I was 13 making modifications custom tweaks and so on. Never had a serious issue (except of that one time I bend some pins on a x99 but managed through after 2 days of time and a needle).

I'll say at this point that I always preffered performance over gimmicks flashy function etc (would pick a tuf Mobo over a rampage and tune it to my own needs).

Anyhow this time being on a good point at my life i decided what the heck let's go for the 10k pc meme all Rgb crazyness best things money can buy (at least for the time I made the build)

Well I decided to go with mostly and majorly Asus  parts and peripherials due to aura sync (and yeah the software is crap but I am capable enough to modify it to my own needs and make it work flawlessly the way I want it for my system at least, lots of other people do and offer solutions at GitHub in case you wonder).

So here's the specs.

Intel 9980xe

Asus rampage vi extreme x299

Corsair led vengeance pro 3600mhz 8x8gb

2x msi gaming trio 2080

Intel optane 905 480gb

Intel optane memory 32gb (to use as a cche for 1tb sad)

1tb delta max rgb

Asus essence stx ii

Case rog helios

Cpu cooler rog ryujin 360

Sli bridge Asus rog nvlink

THE PROBLEM > PSU Rog thor 1200.

Don't thing it matters but have some extras like 2 Corsair dominator  rgb coolers thermaltake riing quad fans and majority of Asus and some razer peripherials.

Build system all went okish as said I had to tune and customize aura and other Rgb technologies but nothing extreme.

After a week of use while was on desktop computer died. Tried to reboot immediatly but it was an instant fail boot loop with lights open up fans spinning and psu making a click noise like a switch. Started removing parts etc try to troubleshoot it I ended up testing psu with paper clip and it did the same. Since it happened in the weekend I had some time to play around tested PC with old Corsair 850 gold PSU and all was fine. After like good 100 paper clip tries managed to boot rog thor 1200 psu as well! (It was like it was on a lock state of some shorts). I'm like what the hell plug it back in worked but seems something was busted since in any game pretty much and after goingover 300-400ish watt on its monitor it would fail and go back to that bootlock  state. (As said PC was running games fine with 6 years old 850).

Took it back was extremely lucky and they had one to pick up next day.

Plugging the new one in PC boots up no problems I'm playing division 2 on 4k works fine doing my prime 95 runs furmark etc all good. 3 weeks pass computer shuts down.  Feeling a burn to my stomach at this point but seems it was nothing since it turned back on. Seems fine maybe just a fluke. Running test games all good. Some days after happens again. But this time does it again after a minute, then after 2  Minutes then 30 seconds and so on. Here I'll say that On/Off switch also broke!!! It's like the circuit breaker on it kicked it but actually stuck at ON possition, imagine that. Leaving computer turned off for few hours it's stable again for few hours more then back at it.( It's like something overheats) checked all tempts btw all is golden after it happens here first time it repeatedly happens under no load as well.

Waited for it to happen again then puffed back old corsair 850 and run prime 95 for few hours all good. (So no components overheat). Rog thor not particularly hot btw and always have the fan active. I'm thinking maybe a bad capacitor?

Bottom line is this is 2 in a row and im really disapopinted I asked for a replacement and I am going to give it a THIRD final try hoping to get a good one. While I'm waiting for a new one (this time the didn't had one so I have to wait 2-3 weeks) I checked on the web Amazon and other places for reviews. Oh boy I was in for a treat so many people having the same issue there's even a YouTube video here's the link btw 

So at this point altho I'll give it a third try I already have crossed it over from my mind and it really saddens me to not be able to achieve the monster rog PC. I started checking on other solutions titanium plus thermaltake Corsair collermaster sea sonic. (And this time I decided to go on the reviews. Thermaltake and collermaster swarmed with bad reviews as doa blowing up in sparks etc etc so I crossed them over. Sea sonic titanium had mostly positive with a few doa. And Corsair hundreds of positive some tens of doa and some tens of melted cables and such.

And here comes my question.

1)How is it possible for top brands titanium certification psus to be swarmed with blowing up and doa?

2)Are platinum and titanium more problematic than gold due to the marginal load loss on the capacitors? Would I be better off with a lower certification?

3) It really seems to be hit or miss but what you would suggest beetwen sea sonic prime ultra titanium 1000w and Corsair ax1000. Is thermaltake thoughpower irgb 1250w plus titanium out of the question?

Or which one you would suggest? I presume sadly I would need 1000+ since for the little while the rog Thor worked under heavy load 4k titles/benchmarking it's panel indicated a 800-850 watt drawn.

Thanks in advance. TL;TR the 10k pc meme is that there is no pc.

This is slightly unrelated to your question, but you're much better off getting one 2080Ti instead of two 2080s. SLI is basically dead, so you're always going to be better off with a single, super powerful GPU. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

25 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

This is slightly unrelated to your question, but you're much better off getting one 2080Ti instead of two 2080s. SLI is basically dead, so you're always going to be better off with a single, super powerful GPU. 

Yeap I am aware I'm planning to do so on the new series. honestly initial plan was a single Asus rog 2080t matrix but I got these two for literally half price so couldn't say no.

4 hours ago, ssmb212 said:

Greetings everyone I'll take some time to introduce myself and my problem. I'm 32 years old I have been an enthusiast and making my own systems since I was 13 making modifications custom tweaks and so on. Never had a serious issue (except of that one time I bend some pins on a x99 but managed through after 2 days of time and a needle).

I'll say at this point that I always preffered performance over gimmicks flashy function etc (would pick a tuf Mobo over a rampage and tune it to my own needs).

Anyhow this time being on a good point at my life i decided what the heck let's go for the 10k pc meme all Rgb crazyness best things money can buy (at least for the time I made the build)

Well I decided to go with mostly and majorly Asus  parts and peripherials due to aura sync (and yeah the software is crap but I am capable enough to modify it to my own needs and make it work flawlessly the way I want it for my system at least, lots of other people do and offer solutions at GitHub in case you wonder).

So here's the specs.

Intel 9980xe

Asus rampage vi extreme x299

Corsair led vengeance pro 3600mhz 8x8gb

2x msi gaming trio 2080

Intel optane 905 480gb

Intel optane memory 32gb (to use as a cche for 1tb sad)

1tb delta max rgb

Asus essence stx ii

Case rog helios

Cpu cooler rog ryujin 360

Sli bridge Asus rog nvlink

THE PROBLEM > PSU Rog thor 1200.

Don't thing it matters but have some extras like 2 Corsair dominator  rgb coolers thermaltake riing quad fans and majority of Asus and some razer peripherials.

Build system all went okish as said I had to tune and customize aura and other Rgb technologies but nothing extreme.

After a week of use while was on desktop computer died. Tried to reboot immediatly but it was an instant fail boot loop with lights open up fans spinning and psu making a click noise like a switch. Started removing parts etc try to troubleshoot it I ended up testing psu with paper clip and it did the same. Since it happened in the weekend I had some time to play around tested PC with old Corsair 850 gold PSU and all was fine. After like good 100 paper clip tries managed to boot rog thor 1200 psu as well! (It was like it was on a lock state of some shorts). I'm like what the hell plug it back in worked but seems something was busted since in any game pretty much and after goingover 300-400ish watt on its monitor it would fail and go back to that bootlock  state. (As said PC was running games fine with 6 years old 850).

Took it back was extremely lucky and they had one to pick up next day.

Plugging the new one in PC boots up no problems I'm playing division 2 on 4k works fine doing my prime 95 runs furmark etc all good. 3 weeks pass computer shuts down.  Feeling a burn to my stomach at this point but seems it was nothing since it turned back on. Seems fine maybe just a fluke. Running test games all good. Some days after happens again. But this time does it again after a minute, then after 2  Minutes then 30 seconds and so on. Here I'll say that On/Off switch also broke!!! It's like the circuit breaker on it kicked it but actually stuck at ON possition, imagine that. Leaving computer turned off for few hours it's stable again for few hours more then back at it.( It's like something overheats) checked all tempts btw all is golden after it happens here first time it repeatedly happens under no load as well.

Waited for it to happen again then puffed back old corsair 850 and run prime 95 for few hours all good. (So no components overheat). Rog thor not particularly hot btw and always have the fan active. I'm thinking maybe a bad capacitor?

Bottom line is this is 2 in a row and im really disapopinted I asked for a replacement and I am going to give it a THIRD final try hoping to get a good one. While I'm waiting for a new one (this time the didn't had one so I have to wait 2-3 weeks) I checked on the web Amazon and other places for reviews. Oh boy I was in for a treat so many people having the same issue there's even a YouTube video here's the link btw 

So at this point altho I'll give it a third try I already have crossed it over from my mind and it really saddens me to not be able to achieve the monster rog PC. I started checking on other solutions titanium plus thermaltake Corsair collermaster sea sonic. (And this time I decided to go on the reviews. Thermaltake and collermaster swarmed with bad reviews as doa blowing up in sparks etc etc so I crossed them over. Sea sonic titanium had mostly positive with a few doa. And Corsair hundreds of positive some tens of doa and some tens of melted cables and such.

And here comes my question.

1)How is it possible for top brands titanium certification psus to be swarmed with blowing up and doa?

2)Are platinum and titanium more problematic than gold due to the marginal load loss on the capacitors? Would I be better off with a lower certification?

3) It really seems to be hit or miss but what you would suggest beetwen sea sonic prime ultra titanium 1000w and Corsair ax1000. Is thermaltake thoughpower irgb 1250w plus titanium out of the question?

Or which one you would suggest? I presume sadly I would need 1000+ since for the little while the rog Thor worked under heavy load 4k titles/benchmarking it's panel indicated a 800-850 watt drawn.

Thanks in advance. TL;TR the 10k pc meme is that there is no pc.

I can only answer your n1 question: 
Bad products and defects do exist, even in the most prestigious and expensive products. Yours could be a bad batch since you swapped out for the same model and the PSU still have problems.

Are you sure that second PSU wasn't the same one they've checked and gave you back ? Anyway, it's entirely possible that both were from the same batch which has failed power switch, which has too much resistance, especially after heating up, which introduces voltage drop and PSU shuts down. But that's my speculation. Also, ASUS Thor is Seasonic PRIME and you could get one, or some other similiarly performing PSU for cheaper, no need to stick to the brand.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 hours ago, Juular said:

Are you sure that second PSU wasn't the same one they've checked and gave you back ? Anyway, it's entirely possible that both were from the same batch which has failed power switch, which has too much resistance, especially after heating up, which introduces voltage drop and PSU shuts down. But that's my speculation. Also, ASUS Thor is Seasonic PRIME and you could get one, or some other similiarly performing PSU for cheaper, no need to stick to the brand.

Yes it was a different one, i gave them just psu back and next day got one sealed in a box with all accessories and unbroken box seals. Problem was different psu no 1 would shut down when went over anything than 300 watts and be stuck on no boot loop paper clip required. psu no 2 would work for some hours even under stress load of 850ish watts then get to shutdown restart loop till i let it cool off for some hours. Due to my field of work and "connections" manged to get to contact with some Asus managers very quickly and i have been told many times these products due to their nature and cost go back an get repaired on a "bad component" example a single capacitor or w/e then go back to the public as bran new. Now imo this is terrible policy since obvious every component would need a very detailed testing to exclude it from being bad. Still the case i got 2 defective or just 2 that they were manufacturer repaired sounds a little bit extreme but possible.

I would like to stick to the brand due to the whole build theme etc but not crazy at the moment since i this is experience has been horrible. My question is where do i lean towards? Checkign reviews seems every major company has issue doa etc which i dont understand btw due to the premium product line, cost, etc. As i said i will give it a third try but crossed it out of my mind already cause of disappointment. Even if it works for 6 months or a year thats pretty bad. Never had a psu problem before, never had a broken one to begin with, all were inferior models and price best i would go was a gold one. So i am wondering about the platinum titanium quality in general.

Any brand/OEM would have DOAs/failures, it's not possible to filter all possible failures when you output thousands of products per month. Some OEMs are more successful in filtering out failures some less, Seasonic are generally regarded as on of better quality OEMs, still you've managed to get two failed units in a row from them. That's what warranty & customer service are for, to filter out failures that got past QA.

For what to choose ... You do know we have a tier list here ? It's pinned in this forum section, take a look. Seasonic Prime Titanium and Corsair AX Titanium are the same thing inside essentially. TT iRGB Plus Platinum 1250 is good too, made by CWT, modern and very high performance platform. Maybe you have some other options, look at the tier list, preferably this updated revision which didn't hit the forum yet. Anything from tier A with gold/purple color on it would be good choice, preferably among multi-rail ones if price difference isn't big.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply