Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
giuspepy

Old gigabyte board dosent post (keyboard controller chip problem)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi!  My name is giuspepy and im searching a way to fix this mobo for a year now.  Thanks to some really nice people we managed to narrow the problem down.  The problem was the mobo would not post and make a series of 6 beeps the motherboard is a ga-8ipxdr-e this is quite a old board.  I buyed it for exeperiments and see how dual cpus work. 

 

The actual problem is the 6 beep code means that the keyboard controller dosent work whatever its probably replaceble.  Whats blocking me from desoldering it and replacing it is that i cant find it.  The board being old and the fact that the ics  are also old  means documentation is probably been lost in time.  I have basic soldering skills and also a multimeter.  I could really use some advice  with this.  I tried finding it with connections between the ps2 port and the chips with the multimeter in "short mode"  but all that they had in common was gnd wich isent of much help. Here are the photos of the mobo and chips that are near the ps2 port.  Any help or tips on the procedure to take to find the problem would be a lot for me.  Ps: i dident yet desolder anything.  I used the soldering iron in the background for desoldering old capacitors from another board lol. 

IMG_20200523_220022.jpg

IMG_20200523_220003.jpg

IMG_20200523_215905.jpg

IMG_20200523_215859.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am not mistaken (and I could be absolutely wrong) but I believe that the keyboard controller on that board is part of the south bridge. If this is true, I don't know how you'll be able to find and replace the south bridge. Another thing you could possibly try is to reseat the bios chip if it is one of the DIP variety (think stereotypical black chip with "legs" and a socket)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The keyboard and mouse (ps2) is either in the southbridge (part of chipset) or in the SuperIO / FastIO (which also monitors voltages, maybe has fan controls, lpt port, serial ports etc)

1. northbridge - makes connection between cpus , sometimes contained memory controller so also connected memory to processors , and also created agp slots

2. integrated graphics card (ati/amd) and its memory (2a), probably 8-32 MB sdram or something like that.

3. southbridge (part of chipset) , connected to northbridge and therefore cpu ... connects less bandwidth stuff and peripherals (usb ports, onboard audio, network, pci slots , onboard graphics if any)  

4. bios chip

5. fastio  (ps2 ports for keyboard and mouse in some cases, lpt port, serial ports, sometimes floppy disk controller, irda, monitor voltages, fan controller / rpm reading for fans, alerts if fans are blocked or not spinning etc )

6. some kind of remote management chip (ipmi, kvm over ip etc)

 

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.8d637f3fa3939b4ad73ac55d9fd45578.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The keyboard and mouse (ps2) is either in the southbridge (part of chipset) or in the SuperIO / FastIO (which also monitors voltages, maybe has fan controls, lpt port, serial ports etc)

1. northbridge - makes connection between cpus , sometimes contained memory controller so also connected memory to processors , and also created agp slots

2. integrated graphics card (ati/amd) and its memory (2a), probably 8-32 MB sdram or something like that.

3. southbridge (part of chipset) , connected to northbridge and therefore cpu ... connects less bandwidth stuff and peripherals (usb ports, onboard audio, network, pci slots , onboard graphics if any)  

4. bios chip

5. fastio  (ps2 ports for keyboard and mouse in some cases, lpt port, serial ports, sometimes floppy disk controller, irda, monitor voltages, fan controller / rpm reading for fans, alerts if fans are blocked or not spinning etc )

6. some kind of remote management chip (ipmi, kvm over ip etc)

 

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.8d637f3fa3939b4ad73ac55d9fd45578.jpg

Based on what I found, number 3 is what I'm referencing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The keyboard and mouse (ps2) is either in the southbridge (part of chipset) or in the SuperIO / FastIO (which also monitors voltages, maybe has fan controls, lpt port, serial ports etc)

1. northbridge - makes connection between cpus , sometimes contained memory controller so also connected memory to processors , and also created agp slots

2. integrated graphics card (ati/amd) and its memory (2a), probably 8-32 MB sdram or something like that.

3. southbridge (part of chipset) , connected to northbridge and therefore cpu ... connects less bandwidth stuff and peripherals (usb ports, onboard audio, network, pci slots , onboard graphics if any)  

4. bios chip

5. fastio  (ps2 ports for keyboard and mouse in some cases, lpt port, serial ports, sometimes floppy disk controller, irda, monitor voltages, fan controller / rpm reading for fans, alerts if fans are blocked or not spinning etc )

6. some kind of remote management chip (ipmi, kvm over ip etc)

 

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.8d637f3fa3939b4ad73ac55d9fd45578.jpg

first of all.  THANK YOU.  THATS A HELL lot of information thanks to both guys! 

 

 I dont even know how fast did you guys just find related information on this thing.  I couldent find a thing in months

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, giuspepy said:

first of all.  THANK YOU.  THATS A HELL lot of information thanks to both guys! 

 

 I dont even know how fast did you guys just find related information on this thing.  I couldent find a thing in months

So there might be a possibility this is the guy the connector is the one on the bottom of the image.  At least the one the board as.  Gonna test connections of the ps2 with this chip on the back of the mobo and see if it as any connection(on the data pin)  if im doing something wrong just tell me.  Ps: thanks thats a lot of information!!! 

IMG_20200523_225328.jpg

kbd_connector_ps2_new__1460292311_150.107.241.225.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the fuses.

 


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / Corsair 3000mhz SK Hynix / RTX 2060 / EVGA 750w

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / RTX 2060 / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / Opteron 148 / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see PS/2 controllers inside that southbridge. The keyboard stuff refers to chipset offering the "legacy keyboard" for usb keyboards (basically faking an old standard keyboard to get usb keyboards working in bios and all that. It doesn't seem to be the chip that creates the actual ps/2 jacks if the board has them.

 

Also, the six beeps may not actually mean keyboard error .... it depends on what bios the board uses. One option would be to buy one of those pci / pci-e debug boards which have a 2 digit code led display and maybe some other leds.

 

Please take a clear picture of the chip to the left of your bios chip (the one with SST written on it) , so that i can get the part number for you.

 

NO, the IPMI_CON footprint is definitely not related to keyboard and mouse... it's for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how to go by testing connections to the ps/2 port, but let us know if you find anything? Be warned, if you do find evidence that either of those chips are damaged, you're in for a much more complicated soldering job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mariushm said:

I don't see PS/2 controllers inside that southbridge. The keyboard stuff refers to chipset offering the "legacy keyboard" for usb keyboards (basically faking an old standard keyboard to get usb keyboards working in bios and all that. It doesn't seem to be the chip that creates the actual ps/2 jacks if the board has them.

 

Also, the six beeps may not actually mean keyboard error .... it depends on what bios the board uses. One option would be to buy one of those pci / pci-e debug boards which have a 2 digit code led display and maybe some other leds.

 

Please take a clear picture of the chip to the left of your bios chip (the one with SST written on it) , so that i can get the part number for you.

 

NO, the IPMI_CON footprint is definitely not related to keyboard and mouse... it's for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface

 

 

AMI Bios beep codes.

1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
1 long POST has passed all tests

 

https://warp9-systems.proboards.com/thread/1240/bios-post-code-beeps


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / Corsair 3000mhz SK Hynix / RTX 2060 / EVGA 750w

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / RTX 2060 / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / Opteron 148 / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

AMI Bios beep codes.

1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
1 long POST has passed all tests

 

https://warp9-systems.proboards.com/thread/1240/bios-post-code-beeps

6 Short was the initial diagnosis for this board, which is what he's trying to replace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on all the information here, the chip to left of the bios (not the one I highlighted on the diagram) may be what you're looking for. "The SIO/SIO.A provides the address decode and three encoded chip selects to support Floppy Controller,Keyboard Controller, Real Time Clock, IDE Drive, 2 Serial Ports (COM1 and COM2), 1 Parallel Port (LPT1, 2, or3), BIOS Memory, and Configuration Memory (8 Kbyte I/O Mapped). The SIO/SIO.A also supports FloppyDSKCHG Function, Port 92 Function (Alternate A20 and Alternate Reset), and Coprocessor Logic (FERR# andIGNNE# Functio"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Najila42 said:

Based on all the information here, the chip to left of the bios (the one I highlighted on the diagram) may be what you're looking for.

I'd check the fuses around the controller first. To the port also. Then perhaps replace the chip if all the fuses pass continuity testing.


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / Corsair 3000mhz SK Hynix / RTX 2060 / EVGA 750w

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / RTX 2060 / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / Opteron 148 / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd check the fuses around the controller first. To the port also. Then perhaps replace the chip if all the fuses pass continuity testing.

^

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd check the fuses around the controller first. To the port also. Then perhaps replace the chip if all the fuses pass continuity testing.

Fuses?  I dont know if your talking about the square things.  What are the fuses your talking about?  Ps: iits a pleasure to talk again with you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I don't see PS/2 controllers inside that southbridge. The keyboard stuff refers to chipset offering the "legacy keyboard" for usb keyboards (basically faking an old standard keyboard to get usb keyboards working in bios and all that. It doesn't seem to be the chip that creates the actual ps/2 jacks if the board has them.

 

Also, the six beeps may not actually mean keyboard error .... it depends on what bios the board uses. One option would be to buy one of those pci / pci-e debug boards which have a 2 digit code led display and maybe some other leds.

 

Please take a clear picture of the chip to the left of your bios chip (the one with SST written on it) , so that i can get the part number for you.

 

NO, the IPMI_CON footprint is definitely not related to keyboard and mouse... it's for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface

 

 

Ive taken  a foto of both cips

Lucky for me my camera dosent suck lol. 

IMG_20200523_232010.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Najila42 said:

I'm not sure about this, but maybe D19 is a fuse? Its right next to the beeper speaker.

That reminds me of the same thing.  It may be fuse.  But it could also be diode

 

In the meantime i checking the connections

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Najila42 said:

I'm not sure about this, but maybe D19 is a fuse? Its right next to the beeper speaker.

 

Ok i actually ended up finding a connection between the data pin on the chip near the bios not the intel one..  Those pins in the red circle.  Theres at least one wich as something to do with the data cinnection on the ps2

PicsArt_05-23-11.37.00.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

pc87366 : 321-19671-0-PC87366.pdf

 

PC87366 - 128-Pin LPC SuperI/O with System Hardware Monitoring and MIDI and Game Ports

 

Quote

The PC87366 also incorporates: Fan Speed Control and Monitor (FSCM) for three fans, extended wake-up support for a wide range of wake-up events, system design protection features, a Floppy Disk Controller (FDC), a Keyboard and Mouse Controller (KBC), ACCESS.bus® Interface (ACB), System Wake-Up Control (SWC), General-Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) support for 40 ports, an enhanced WATCHDOG Timer (WDT), a full IEEE 1284 Parallel Port and two enhanced Serial Ports (UARTs), one with Infrared (IR) support.

 

Datasheet attached is choke full of info and details about it.

 

...

Quote

I'm not sure about this, but maybe D19 is a fuse? Its right next to the beeper speaker.

Parts that start with a D are diodes.  Speaker needs a diode to block energy from going back into the chip. Piezo electric speakers can cause voltage under mechanical shock or whatever so diode protects the chip from any reverse voltage

 

Parts that start with R are resistors, IC is chip, Q and sometimes U is typically transistor or mosfet , U is also used for some chip like linear regulator, voltage controller, usb controller.

Inductors start with L

Capacitors are often brown/cream, resistors are often white and with a number on them, inductors are often dark brown/black with nothing printed on them. Diodes will typically have a white line on one (because anode and cathode) ... ex D37 in your picture by the chipset is definitely a diode.

 

Fuses will have a name starting with F and they'll be often be green and often have an italic f  and some number and letter ... ex 2T = 2A , time delay fuse... or something like that.

 

 

my guess... that io chip is broken or maybe some surface mount resistors / capacitors around it broke off the board and now there's some missing connection or something. popped fuses would just kill the connector, but motherboard should just not detect ps2 keyboards plugged in and happily continue looking for usb keyboards or whatever

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, giuspepy said:

 

Ok i actually ended up finding a connection between the data pin on the chip near the bios not the intel one..  Those pins in the red circle.  Theres at least one wich as something to do with the data cinnection on the ps2

PicsArt_05-23-11.37.00.jpg

I am not sure how to go by testing anything like that, have you found any fuses yet? Another thing to try is follow the traces to other components (capacitors, resistors, etc.) and see if those are good

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

 

 

 

my guess... that io chip is broken or maybe some surface mount resistors / capacitors around it broke off the board and now there's some missing connection or something. popped fuses would just kill the connector, but motherboard should just not detect ps2 keyboards plugged in and happily continue looking for usb keyboards or whatever

 

Very good was getting to that. The chip's power is also fused. 


 

Lid-less PGA 2700x / ROG B450-I Gaming / Corsair 3000mhz SK Hynix / RTX 2060 / EVGA 750w

Lid-less 8700K / Maximus X Hero / G.Skill 4266mhz B-Die / RTX 2060 / Antec 1000w CP series

Ryzen Athlon 220ge with Vega Graphics / Asus Prime B450M-A / Corsair LED 3000mhz / 550w Antec Office PC.

DFI LanParty UT / Opteron 148 / DDR Corsair XMS Expert / X1800 XT 256MB Bios modded

Asus CrossHair Formula IV / Phenom II x4 B97 / Dominator GT 2000mhz. / EVGA GTX 770

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Najila42 said:

I am not sure how to go by testing anything like that, have you found any fuses yet? Another thing to try is follow the traces to other components (capacitors, resistors, etc.) and see if those are good

 

So this is a fuse?  Also ive seen something similar on an arduino

IMG_20200523_234921.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, giuspepy said:

So this is a fuse?  Also ive seen something similar on an arduino

IMG_20200523_234921.jpg

I can't read what it says, but it may be given the information posted by mariushm

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×