Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptainCapitalism

Remove AMD RAID 0 Configuration and Reinstall Windows

Posted · Original PosterOP

For a few months now, I've had a raid 0 configuration on my computer. I had someone try to fix some of the issues I was having previously, and in the process the guy configures three of my drives into raid 0 without me knowing or agreeing to it. I didn't even notice my drives were in raid 0 til a month ago because I barely knew anything about raid. Raid 0 is something I absolutely do not running on my computer especially when I have a hard drive that I've been using since 2014. Not sure which thread this should be in, but I figured "Storage Devices" was a good option.

I want to reinstall Windows 10 while removing the raid configuration at the same time. I have already backed up my data and stored it on an external drive so I'm not worried about data loss. I can reset and reinstall Windows, but I do not know how to go about removing the raid 0 configuration from my computer. I do not want to brick my hard drives while trying to reset and reformat them. I will provide my full system specs and as much information as possible but I know very little about the raid 0 on my PC and how it was setup. All I know about the raid configuration on my computer is that it is an AMD software related configuration. I also know there are some raid settings turned on in the BIOS but I haven't tried changing anything. I will provide more information if need be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

Asus Prime x470 Pro

Corsair 2933 C16 2x16GB RAM

AMD Rx 580 8GB

Windows 10 Pro version 1909 build 18363.836

1TB NVMe SSD (Boot drive)

1TB SATA SSD

1TB SATA HDD (2014 drive)

4TB SATA HDD

30 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a backup of all your data? Do that first. Changing any of this has a good chance of data loss

Normally you can just turn raid in the bios to off, then reinstall windows on the drive you want.

Would resetting all of the bios settings to default reset the raid configurations and restore normal function of the drive or am I going to have to reformat each of the drives afterwards as well? My boot drive is not a "dynamic" drive like the other three in the raid, but I am not sure if the raid drives are using part of my boot drive to boost their performance. Should I put a windows 10 on a flash drive for reinstalling windows in the off chance that I am unable to boot to windows after resetting the bios?

1 minute ago, CaptainCapitalism said:

Would resetting all of the bios settings to default reset the raid configurations and restore normal function of the drive or am I going to have to reformat each of the drives afterwards as well? My boot drive is not a "dynamic" drive like the other three in the raid, but I am not sure if the raid drives are using part of my boot drive to boost their performance. Should I put a windows 10 on a flash drive for reinstalling windows in the off chance that I am unable to boot to windows after resetting the bios?

So how is raid setup? is it in windows or the bios?

If its all in software, just delet the dynamic volume, and make normal partitions on the drive again.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So how is raid setup? is it in windows or the bios?

If its all in software, just delet the dynamic volume, and make normal partitions on the drive again.

There are raid settings changed in the BIOS but I really do not know exactly how it is set up because I did not do it myself. There are no raid files/programs in windows as far as I can tell but I do not know if anything in specific was changed in windows when it was configured.

Just now, CaptainCapitalism said:

There are raid settings changed in the BIOS but I really do not know exactly how it is set up because I did not do it myself. There are no raid files/programs in windows as far as I can tell but I do not know if anything in specific was changed in windows when it was configured.

Can you show a disk management screenshot?

Did you check the motherboard manual for where the raid settings are?

I have the manual for my motherboard and I will read it and see where all the raid settings are.

I have also attached the disk management screenshots

Disk 4 partition 2 is the flash drive. (Its 32gb but I had it formatted for memtest86 so it shows up as 249mb)

diskmanagement.png

diskmanagement2.png

I have the manual for my motherboard and I will read it and see where all the raid settings are.

I have also attached the disk management screenshots

Disk 4 partition 2 is the flash drive. (Its 32gb but I had it formatted for memtest86 so it shows up as 249mb)

diskmanagement.png

diskmanagement2.png

so which one is in raid?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

so which one is in raid?

The bottom 3 drives listed as type "dynamic" in the list view at the top and the greenish/brown color shown next to the volume view at the bottom means it's a dynamic drive.

The bottom 3 drives listed as type "dynamic" in the list view at the top and the greenish/brown color shown next to the volume view at the bottom means it's a dynamic drive.

Yea there dynamic, but that doesn't mean there in raid. 

Yea there dynamic, but that doesn't mean there in raid. 

I am 100% positive that those 3 drives are in raid 0, I just don't know exactly how they are configured. Let me boot to the BIOS and take pictures of the raid settings.

I am 100% positive that those 3 drives are in raid 0, I just don't know exactly how they are configured. Let me boot to the BIOS and take pictures of the raid settings.

If it was set to raid in the bios, they would appear as a single drive.

Since there all seprate drives with different letters, they aren't in raid in windows. This looks like there just using dynamic disks, no raid is setup. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since there all seprate drives with different letters, they aren't in raid in windows. This looks like there just using dynamic disks, no raid is setup. 

I am pretty sure I saw that the drives were seen as one in the BIOS but I will have to check again. I'm just waiting for this flash drive to reformat, its at 98%

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here are some pictures of the various raid settings in the BIOS. It appears that the drives are using "NVMe Raid Mode" which uses my boot drive to boost their performance.

1 minute ago, CaptainCapitalism said:

Here are some pictures of the various raid settings in the BIOS. It appears that the drives are using "NVMe Raid Mode" which uses my boot drive to boost their performance.

can you show pics? I don't see them

From what ive seen you don't have any raid on this system.

So sata isn't set to raid, so none of your data drives are in raid.

NVMe looks like its set to a single drive group, so no raid there either.

Either way, I'm going to reinstall windows because I've been having a few issues with programs failing to update. If I have any issues with resetting windows I will post a reply to this post. Thanks for the clarification about the NVMe raid and dynamic drives.