StarForce DRM "Horror" Stories

Najila42

Hello all, I've been doing a little bit of research (besides Modern Vintage Gamer's video on it) on the infamous StarForce DRM (Digital Rights Management) solution, and I'm wondering how bad it really was. What's your StarForce DRM story? Did it linger after you removed all the games with it? How annoying/terrible of an experience was trying to deal with it for you guys? How did you deal with it?

I remember it clearly. Yes once it was on your computer you pretty much had to format Windows to remove it as the official removal tool did nothing, it would say it finished but the drivers still remained present in your device manager. Eventually a third party tool was released that did remove it.

As a DRM it wasn't that bad (at least in my experience). I encountered it in 3 games that I remember, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, one of the Colin McRae racing games (or maybe it was Grid?) and X2. It always did was it was supposed to do, I never had any games refusing to launch or anything like that.

There were reports of it killing optical drives on some PCs but IIRC it turned out these people had been messing around with the drivers to try and bypass the system.

Its one of those things that probably shouldn't have existed but honestly, it wasn't that bad in reality.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)