8TB Hard Drive for $35

meponder

I found a listing on eBay for new 8TB drives for $35USD. The seller is accepting returns with a 14 day window. The 14 day window would be enough to run h2testw. This might be a credit card fraud laundering scam. I can’t think of a reason not to buy it. Is there a good reason not to.

1 minute ago, meponder said:

I can’t think of a reason not to buy it. Is there a good reason not to.

Yes, it could be fake. Or it could be dead.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

Yes, it could be fake. Or it could be dead.

Doesn’t eBay have good buyer protection? 

17 hours ago, meponder said:

Doesn’t eBay have good buyer protection? 

It does, and eBay / PayPal usually side with the buyer more than the seller, however, you have to be very careful of how the listing is worded, as some sellers are very sneaky with this. For example, many of the "$80 GTX 1080 Ti" graphics card listings make it seem like you're getting a real GPU, but they have the text worded in such a way that it actually indicates you're purchasing "accessories" or "packaging" which eBay may side with.

Not saying don't buy the 8TB drive if you're willing to risk $35 plus shipping, but be careful out there.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)