Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Assassin Ghost

Windows 10 Home to Pro

The free upgrade to Win10 did not give you a key. The digital license is only for the original hardware config you used when updating to Win10. It is non-transferable to new pcs.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My new laptop came with Windows 10 Home License but I already have the Pro Linked to my account as a digital license. Even after logging in with the same account, I have HOME and I don't have the key because it was the Digital License Linked to my account. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

probably need to reinstall windows using your pro key.

 

not sure if this will forfeit your home oem key. anyone?


Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16
MSI RX5700 Gaming X (flashed with XT BIOS)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)
LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide FreeSync 40-75Hz variable refresh rate

Ducky One 2 Skyline full size with Cherry Brown
Logitech G602

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to activate the key (change product key) in windows and it will upgrade home to pro. Why dont you have a key?


CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Assassin Ghost said:

My new laptop came with Windows 10 Home License but I already have the Pro Linked to my account as a digital license. Even after logging in with the same account, I have HOME and I don't have the key because it was the Digital License Linked to my account. 

if you still have a laptop or pc that has that windows 10 pro digital license you should be able to remove the key from that computer and move it over to your new one.

 

i have just found 2 websites that you could use

 

use this one first https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-your-windows-10-product-key/

use this one second https://www.howtogeek.com/404525/how-to-transfer-a-windows-10-license-to-another-computer/

 

i hope this helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there. If all you want to do is add the Windows 10 Pro license to your system:

Spoiler
  • Go to "Settings".
  • Select "Update & Security".
  • Select "Activation" from the left panel.
  • Select "Change product key".
  • Enter your Windows 10 Pro product key, and you should be good to go.

Activation.thumb.png.f78201a022fd51b057a0e9de5d06affb.png

 

Note that Windows 10 licenses pre-installed on a laptop or pre-built computer are usually non-transferable -- I say usually, because I've heard of some outlier cases in which OEM licenses were transferred when the person got in touch with Microsoft support (I don't know the details or if there were any qualifying criteria for these cases). If, however, you own a retail copy of Windows 10, you should be able to transfer the license to your new system without any hitches.

 

If you have a retail license linked to your Microsoft account, I think you should be able to find your product key from  Microsoft's site?

  • Sign in to Microsoft's site.
  • Navigate to "My Microsoft Account".
    • If the link above doesn't work, you can find "My Microsoft Account" by clicking on your profile picture in the upper-right corner of the site.
  • Select "Services & Subscriptions" from the top panel.
  • Under the Windows 10 Pro product, select "View product key".

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksAn Introduction to Custom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, LjjlijJ said:

probably need to reinstall windows using your pro key.

 

not sure if this will forfeit your home oem key. anyone?

Not sure but I want it on the new one. Don't care about the old one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Praesi said:

You have to activate the key (change product key) in windows and it will upgrade home to pro. Why dont you have a key?

It was an upgrade on my old system like years ago to windows 10. 

 

Free upgrade to Windows 10 added to my account as digital license. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, GoodEnough said:

if you still have a laptop or pc that has that windows 10 pro digital license you should be able to remove the key from that computer and move it over to your new one.

 

i have just found 2 websites that you could use

 

use this one first https://www.groovypost.com/howto/find-your-windows-10-product-key/

use this one second https://www.howtogeek.com/404525/how-to-transfer-a-windows-10-license-to-another-computer/

 

i hope this helps.

I will have a look at it thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

The free upgrade to Win10 did not give you a key. The digital license is only for the original hardware config you used when updating to Win10. It is non-transferable to new pcs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×