AMD preps Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT for June 16

AshRiver

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72721/amd-preps-ryzen-9-3900xt-7-3800xt-5-3600xt-for-june-16/index.html

We first heard wind of AMD's upcoming Matisse Refresh in some leaked news barely 24 hours ago, but now we have some even juicier stuff to talk about: the Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT.

That's right, according to our friends at Wccftech, AMD is about to launch the Matisse Refresh with the Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT processors. The new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs would adopt the "XT" branding, something that Radeon fans will remember and love to see back in the ring.

The new rumor has AMD replacing the Ryzen 9 3900X, Ryzen 7 3800X and Ryzen 5 3600X with the new Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT processors -- but increasing the CPU clocks, having enhanced overclocking support, and dropping the price on the current-gen CPUs that they replace.

Ryzen 9 3900XT - 12C/24T + faster clocks + enhanced OC support

Ryzen 7 3800XT - 8C/16T + faster clocks + enhanced OC support

Ryzen 5 3600XT - 4C/8T + faster clocks + enhanced OC support

These new CPUs would compete directly against Intel's latest Comet Lake processors, in the just-launched Core i9-10900K, Core i7-10700K, and Core i5-10600K.

Hold up......Ryzen 5 3600XT is 4C/8T not 6C/12T?! Dang that is a big downgrade if this rumor is true from "WCCFTECH". But why release a refresh of Zen 2 now? And the name "XT".  Ryzen 9 3900x atm can compete against i9 10900k while Ryzen 5 3600 got beaten by i5 10600k a little bit, but Ryzen 5 3600 price is good to be walk away.

I dont trust WCCFTech personally. Never have, never will. They always report garbage stuff without any actual fact checking or digging in... they seem to just repost garbage spewed likely on Reddit. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

28 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i had to re-read that because at first i read it as Radeon GPUs o_o

AMD, regardless of factuality, please don't do names like this

I think it doesn't matter. If XT defines their high end stuff, it doesn't matter if it's CPU or GPU. You know how X got adopted on CPU's and GPU's? It just defines the "better" editions. I don't mind it if it's not an arbitrary naming nonsense and is consistent across product stacks.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You know how X got adopted on CPU's and GPU's?

That’s a little different since the CPUs have a 4 digit name, like 3900X while the GPUs had a 3 digit name like 390X. If they do go with the new naming structure, there will be overlap.

The problem is when we get to 5th gen Ryzen, if they stick with this naming structure we’ll have a Radeon RX 5700XT and a Ryzen 5700XT, which is really confusing since most people just say “3900x” for example, not “Ryzen 3900x” every time.

3 hours ago, The_russian said:

That’s a little different since the CPUs have a 4 digit name, like 3900X while the GPUs had a 3 digit name like 390X. If they do go with the new naming structure, there will be overlap.

The problem is when we get to 5th gen Ryzen, if they stick with this naming structure we’ll have a Radeon RX 5700XT and a Ryzen 5700XT, which is really confusing since most people just say “3900x” for example, not “Ryzen 9700x” every time.

And how likely it is that you'll mistakenly buy a graphic card instead of a CPU? Very unlikely quite frankly... That's like mistakenly buying a Ford F-150 while trying to buy a F1 race car just because they both have "F" in the front...

Doubt they will use that naming. 🤔

4 hours ago, AshRiver said:

That's right, according to our friends at Wccftech

Not my friend.
675682819850108948.gif?v=1

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And how likely it is that you'll mistakenly buy a graphic card instead of a CPU? Very unlikely quite frankly... That's like mistakenly buying a Ford F-150 while trying to buy a F1 race car just because they both have "F" in the front...

I’m not saying someone will mistakenly buy the wrong one, just that it will create confusion when taking about them. Your example of an F-150 and an F1 doesn’t really make sense, it would be more like Ford selling an F-150 truck and an F-150 sedan.

Hmmm the same report is on VideoCardz too AMD to announce Ryzen 9 3900XT, 3800XT and 3600XT on 16th of June.

While yesterday it was only speculated that Ryzen 3700X and 3800X would get refresh as 3750X and 3850X AMD rumored to refresh Matisse CPUs: Ryzen 7 3850X and 3750X coming?

I personally do really like this refresh, and I'm interested how well it will now stack up against Intel 10th Gen, not that the current Ryzen CPU's aren't competitive.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

I find this curious. Is there time for a refresh if we're to get Zen 3 later this year also? Feels a bit tight. So if this refresh is true, could Zen 3 be further out than we expect?

Alternatively, where is this extra performance coming from? I think it safe to assume they haven't changed the architecture at all. Has there been any changes in process? Like manufacturing tweaks and similar at TSMC. Maybe not a full Intel + worth, but there could be smaller refinements over time. Or have they been over-achieving on bins recently? This last point I think could be seen in the overclocking community if so. Have people been achieving better overclocks recently than with early CPUs? I'm not close enough to have an answer to that.

My gut feeling, if this happens at all, is the clock improvements will be just enough to be different but not massive. If we get more, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

So if this refresh is true, could Zen 3 be further out than we expect?

Agreed, they might push it out to early Q1 '21.

16 minutes ago, porina said:

I find this curious. Is there time for a refresh if we're to get Zen 3 later this year also? Feels a bit tight. So if this refresh is true, could Zen 3 be further out than we expect?

Alternatively, where is this extra performance coming from? I think it safe to assume they haven't changed the architecture at all. Has there been any changes in process? Like manufacturing tweaks and similar at TSMC. Maybe not a full Intel + worth, but there could be smaller refinements over time. Or have they been over-achieving on bins recently? This last point I think could be seen in the overclocking community if so. Have people been achieving better overclocks recently than with early CPUs? I'm not close enough to have an answer to that.

My gut feeling, if this happens at all, is the clock improvements will be just enough to be different but not massive. If we get more, great, but I wouldn't count on it.

There's kind of two camps right now among the rumor/leak set about what is going on with these. Some have information this is fake; others have information this is coming really soon. So we have to see if this is real, first.

A refreshed Zen2 would mostly be a minor clocks improvement via binning and better microcode. A whole lot of the Zen to Zen+ transition was just microcode, so the point that TR1 parts were pretty much the same as Zen+ parts for performance. There's a few % to be had from microcode improvements, If these aren't OEM-only SKUs.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

A refreshed Zen2 would mostly be a minor clocks improvement via binning and better microcode. A whole lot of the Zen to Zen+ transition was just microcode, so the point that TR1 parts were pretty much the same as Zen+ parts for performance. There's a few % to be had from microcode improvements, If these aren't OEM-only SKUs.

I hadn't thought about it from a microcode perspective before. It's been a while, but my recollection of the differences between Zen and Zen+ were a small improvement in IPC, but by far the bigger impact on performance was the much smarter clock boosting they employed. More clock, more of the time. The claims people had of not reaching advertised turbo speeds in the early days of Zen 2 was also largely resolved by a bios update. It will be interesting to see, if it happens, if there will be a change in behaviour to enable it beyond just setting a slightly higher clock limit out of the box.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I hadn't thought about it from a microcode perspective before. It's been a while, but my recollection of the differences between Zen and Zen+ were a small improvement in IPC, but by far the bigger impact on performance was the much smarter clock boosting they employed. More clock, more of the time. The claims people had of not reaching advertised turbo speeds in the early days of Zen 2 was also largely resolved by a bios update. It will be interesting to see, if it happens, if there will be a change in behaviour to enable it beyond just setting a slightly higher clock limit out of the box.

The Zen2 boost issue was more about fixing clock display than actually changing the boost approach, lol.

Zen1 Ryzen parts had a 17 cycle cache latency that was 12 cycles by the time of Epyc/TR & APU parts. That was majority of the increase for 2000 series Ryzen, though they did use the 12nm libaries for the production. That got them extra clock speed from just having tighter tolerances. If we're getting an actual minor refresh of Zen2, this is likely what I would expect to see. Better binning (i.e. clocks and power generation) from node progression and then some tweaks in the microcode to find 1-2% improvement.

Still, there's people in the leaker scene that say this is fake. And there's disagreement about what parts are coming. So it's very possible these are region-only parts, as well.

20 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The Zen2 boost issue was more about fixing clock display than actually changing the boost approach, lol.

The wider issue was a combination of factors, such as being able to measure it, understanding when you might see the turbo speeds, and only then actually reaching those speeds in practice. Without going back to dig through the articles at the time, my recollection was AMD changed the timing of when the CPU entered boost amongst other actions.

Edit: I actually went and tried to look it up. My memory might have been slightly out, there are references to clock not boosting as much as expected but not the timing. Still, the fix was AMD had to release an AGESA update to change CPU behaviour.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amd-ryzen-3000-boost-frequency-fix-bios-agesa-1.0.0.3abba-longevity-reliability,40368.html

3600XT 4c/8t? What a load of barnacles, who the fuck designed it that way must have suffered from overdose Corona Extra (beer).

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

This... doesn’t make sense to me.  It implies that there is almost no difference between zen2 and zen3 besides marketing.  Also the removal of 6/12 entirely as an option strikes me as strange.  I find myself hoping this is crap.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

OP really needs to edit that out. It's probably a Tweaktown typo when they recycled the info from wccftech who don't say any such thing.

2 hours ago, JediFragger said:

Agreed, they might push it out to early Q1 '21.

yeap, and IMHO all of this is linked to the fact that ddr5 will arrive in 2022 instead of 2021, amd want to  squeeze only 1 architecture instead of 2 before a radical change in platform + 5 nm process, they can say that this year will be without major cpu launches as the coronavirus pandemic "delayed them" 

That loos like it makes no sense though, naming and that one core wise. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Deli said:

3600XT with 4 cores 8 T makes no sense at all.

It might if the goal is to reach higher clock and boost speeds. It comes down to a thermal budget.

4 minutes ago, StDragon said:

It might if the goal is to reach higher clock and boost speeds. It comes down to a thermal budget.

Medium posts the 3600XT would be 6C 12T. Of course all these are just rumors. If AMD wants a higher clock 4-core. It can be 3300XT.

Note Medium is a site where anyone can post, kinda like Youtube but for text. So you have to look at the person writing, not just say it is on the site.